OK.  I don't use sugar much, if fact very little. In the winter time the sugar in my cupboard gets hard like rock and i have to pick at it with a knife to get the amount to use.

Anyway to get and keep that sugar in its natural form for use and not get hard like a rock ?..

13 hours ago, warrior12 said:

OK.  I don't use sugar much, if fact very little. In the winter time the sugar in my cupboard gets hard like rock and i have to pick at it with a knife to get the amount to use.

Anyway to get and keep that sugar in its natural form for use and not get hard like a rock ?..

Is it white or brown?  Both need to be kept sealed--the white sugar sealed so no humidity gets into it and Brown sugar needs to be sealed that it does not lose moisture and harden.  With brown sugar that gets hard- make sure there are no holes in the plastic bag it is in or double bag it , don't put it into a container with a lid unless it is a Jar that closes tightly,  otherwise it will get rock hard. To soften brown sugar again add a half piece of bread and put it into the Jar or the plastic bag of brown sugar and close it tight with lid or twist tie. Within a few days it will be all soft and usable again. If it's really hard , replace the piece of bread and give it a couple more days. It will be back to brand new.  For White sugar you usually can take a knife or hammer and break it into granules again.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Davida said:

Is it white or brown? 

It's brown and putting in a piece of bread does the trick.  Thanks for the help and this is one less hassle in the kitchen.  

Actually, i saw the bread tip on youtube and did it last or the  night before.   This morning the sugar was fairly soft and i could extract it with a spoon and not have to dig and scrape.  I wonder though, what is the theory of how this bread softens the sugar ?.

Edited by warrior12

1 hour ago, warrior12 said:

It's brown and putting in a piece of bread does the trick.  Thanks for the help and this is one less hassle in the kitchen.  

Actually, i saw the bread tip on youtube and did it last or the  night before.   This morning the sugar was fairly soft and i could extract it with a spoon and not have to dig and scrape.  I wonder though, what is the theory of how this bread softens the sugar ?.

:)The brown sugar draws the moisture out of the bread .  Leave it in for a few days and the bread will get crisp. 

On 4/3/2018 at 2:13 PM, Davida said:

:)The brown sugar draws the moisture out of the bread .  Leave it in for a few days and the bread will get crisp. 

Yep. The sugar get soft and the bread like a rock.   Thanks again.