Sign in to follow this  
Realist

I just don't understand the Facebook outrage

I've been around computers since the first Tandy TRS-80.   I thought people at least were computer literate enough to know from the beginning that Fackbook was spyware.

Just like Win 10, Chrome, Google Search, Alexa, Siri, smart TVs, ect.

Why the outrage all of a sudden?

36 minutes ago, Realist said:

I've been around computers since the first Tandy TRS-80.   I thought people at least were computer literate enough to know from the beginning that Fackbook was spyware.

I don’t know either. 

TRS-80 lol

my first computer was a Timex Sinclair 1000. Wanted a commodore but didn’t make enough money trapping gophers to get one!

25 minutes ago, hmbld said:

my first computer was a Timex Sinclair 1000

Memories. 

I wish I saved all the old equipment for a private collection.  Ebay sometimes has the vintage stuff for purchase but I already have a room full of old tech.  On a current machine  emulators like DosBox can still run most of the old programs with a little fiddling on Linux or Win7, so that keeps me connected to the good old days.

IMHO they ruined the internet and it will be worthless if they continue the madness.

4 hours ago, Realist said:

That's because the latest dust up seems to have reminded people that Facebook and the other companies you mention are selling user's personal info and have been for a long time. Seems like some finally woke up to that reality . . . and now they're mad about it. Too late, I think. I think many forgot a simple rule: "If you're not paying to use a product or service, then you are the product or service."

I'm ancient enough to remember the Timex-Sinclair and the TRS-80, and I had friends who had them and the Commodore 64. I had a c=64 until it got fried by a lightning strike. (Gotta love tornado alley!) Learned the Unix system in the Air Force . . . where we had one system on base that was still using paper tape to store data. Got stuck on the Upgrade team and we got to figure out how to move the data from that format to the new(er) PCs that were coming into use . . . fun times.  :)  Never thought I'd be doing that as an aircraft mechanic, but that's what happens when folks figure out that you "know something about computers!"  :laugh:

• Thumbs Up 1

most of us that have been keeping up with the deep state for a long time understand that the CIA backed and indirectly funded Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google and Yahoo.    They have been collecting data for a very long time.

• Thumbs Up 1

DARPA founded Goolag, and has used its data-mining abilities forever.

I just do not do 'social media' except for a couple Christian sites. I figure if those analytics want to compile scripture quotes then it might do them some good. For email I use Protonmail - a Swiss free and secure mail.

I do not have anything to hide, but I just do not like to assist Goolag et al with their mining enterprises.

As for Face-ache, well it is such a droll and boring portrayal of humans that I think any future society that discovered its masses of facile content might understand that stupidity was the reason that 20th century mankind died off. Not from war, or from techno-threats or WMD, but from two-dimensional dementia. 

3 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

I just do not do 'social media' except for a couple Christian sites. I figure if those analytics want to compile scripture quotes then it might do them some good. For email I use Protonmail - a Swiss free and secure mail.

I do not have anything to hide, but I just do not like to assist Goolag et al with their mining enterprises.

As for Face-ache, well it is such a droll and boring portrayal of humans that I think any future society that discovered its masses of facile content might understand that stupidity was the reason that 20th century mankind died off. Not from war, or from techno-threats or WMD, but from two-dimensional dementia. 

I use facebook twitter and youtube......     just don't post anything you don't want the world to know about.   Exception is facebook for we have closed groups that only the group and the CIA get into.    I get most of my good news on facebook from friends and youtube video's that we feed each other.   you can watch fox news shows without the commercials on Facebook and twitter.   The government knows who you are anyway so that's not really a big problem.....    if they ever take over and come for us, we can just go on to be with Jesus so no big deal.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

I always figured if "They" wanted to waste the resources to watch me . . . well, they would either die of boredom or get saved.  :laugh:  I have a pretty boring life now that I'm older. Our family is scattered all over the planet, so they can eavesdrop on our Skype calls all they like. Pretty tame stuff. I use Facebook, LinkedIn, and the like only because I need to keep connections with some folks for references and so forth for work. 2008 should have taught everyone that anyone can be laid off at any time and being prepared takes a load off your mind when suddenly handed that pink slip (aka "the sack.") Certain info will never be posted online because once posted it never goes away.

An old neighbor of mine who grew up in Estonia during the Soviet years looked at Facebook and just chuckled and shook his head.

"The KGB would have been over the moon with access to this much information, and to think people post all this voluntarily! They would not even have to work for it! KGB Heaven it would be!"

I've never forgotten that.

14 hours ago, walla299 said:

when folks figure out that you "know something about computers!

Yes I understand.  Thankfully Win 10 has inadvertently released me from the "help my computer has borked and will not boot up !" cries from friends and relatives as they know I did not embrace the Borg Collective and will have nothing to do with it.

9 hours ago, Realist said:

Yes I understand.  Thankfully Win 10 has inadvertently released me from the "help my computer has borked and will not boot up !" cries from friends and relatives as they know I did not embrace the Borg Collective and will have nothing to do with it.

That's why my tower system runs Linux. Certified Microsoft Free!

My laptop came with Windows 7, and that's okay for a Microsoft OS. There is some software I need for work that will only work in Windows - so the laptop is set up to dual boot Windows/Linux. Problem solved. Windows 10 still has a huge amount of issues from what I've seen on the tech sites, never mind all the factory spyware that comes built in.

Fun fact: Windows 10 does *not* like it when you disconnect it from the internet and can get kinda cranky from what several techs have told me.

Sign in to follow this