Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Realist

I just don't understand the Facebook outrage

Recommended Posts

On 4/6/2018 at 2:51 PM, walla299 said:

"The KGB would have been over the moon with access to this much information, and to think people post all this voluntarily! They would not even have to work for it! KGB Heaven it would be!"

I've never forgotten that.

I understand fully. I mainly post to warn the 'unsuspecting'. Those that never get that expected job interview or think that Lewis Carroll and George Orwell were just writing bedtime stories.

I was in the East not long after the wall came down. Wow. So cold - so soul destroying - lifeless.

It is interesting to note that the one really famous Russian defector in the UK (to the west) actually probably saved us from nuclear war in the 70's. So peeking and spying can have its benefits. Mind you the SIS or SOE is a little reticent about sharing its secrets. But there is a wealth of modern day 'data collection' out there in the ether. But mostly very very boring.

P.s. our beloved Verner Von Braun did get the Knights Cross from Hitler. The highest recognition. Then of course we gave him carte blanc and made him a US citizen. Ha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2018 at 5:23 AM, walla299 said:

Fun fact: Windows 10 does *not* like it when you disconnect it from the internet and can get kinda cranky from what several techs have told me.

Yes and when you delve into the registry and tell it your connection is metered, it cannot do the auto upgrade and gets very annoyed and will tie the sys up for a long time before giving up and reinstating your op sys.

10 is the biggest pain ever. I do find win7 far more friendly but have to steer clear of the 'upgrade' continually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

I understand fully. I mainly post to warn the 'unsuspecting'. Those that never get that expected job interview or think that Lewis Carroll and George Orwell were just writing bedtime stories.

I was in the East not long after the wall came down. Wow. So cold - so soul destroying - lifeless.

It is interesting to note that the one really famous Russian defector in the UK (to the west) actually probably saved us from nuclear war in the 70's. So peeking and spying can have its benefits. Mind you the SIS or SOE is a little reticent about sharing its secrets. But there is a wealth of modern day 'data collection' out there in the ether. But mostly very very boring.

P.s. our beloved Verner Von Braun did get the Knights Cross from Hitler. The highest recognition. Then of course we gave him carte blanc and made him a US citizen. Ha!

I spent some time in the old east block during that time also. Western Europe was trying to figure out how to integrate the east with late 20th infrastructure in the West. A daunting task, especially for Germany. I was a contractor and we were installing cell sites in the former East Germany and Poland. Fun times . . . like hitting a time warp and going back to 1945 in some respects. (Don't get me started on the state of the local phone systems!) Saw a lot of place I had only read about in books, which was cool. The wall coming down was special as it was put up the year I was born. Kinda nice to be able to say, "I outlived the Berlin Wall.)  :)  Might get a T-shirt made, now that I think about it.  :laugh:

I know from my time in the Air Force that there was more than one point where the world came close to nuclear war. Many of those incidents were never publicized, and are probably still classified. 

Werner Von Braun was not the only scientist who came to the US and essentially got a free pass. Politics and the deepening Cold War. Von Braun did help put the US on the Moon, so there's that. There's a reason for that saying about politics making strange bedfellows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

Yes and when you delve into the registry and tell it your connection is metered, it cannot do the auto upgrade and gets very annoyed and will tie the sys up for a long time before giving up and reinstating your op sys.

10 is the biggest pain ever. I do find win7 far more friendly but have to steer clear of the 'upgrade' continually.

Fun story: 

My tower system was in storage for about 8 months while I healed up from a medical issue. Finally got moved into my own apartment again and unpacked it and fired it up. It's set up with a boot menu because I mainly use Linux. Windows is only used because of 2 programs for work. I fired it up in Windows so 7 could do its updates . . . and came back to Windows 10 taking over the machine (kinda like a virus.) That made me mad, and got the Windows drive formatted. I'm not having an OS that acts like malware or virus. The machine has been happily Microsoft Free ever since. I've just been too busy to bother installing Windows 7 again. 

  • Loved it! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/6/2018 at 9:23 PM, walla299 said:

Fun fact: Windows 10 does *not* like it when you disconnect it from the internet and can get kinda cranky from what several techs have told me.

I am also open minded to a new operating system and bought a win 10 tower to try it out.  After two weeks of hassle, and the fact that 80% of my go-too programs did not work on it,  I just disconnected this computer from the net permanently and used it as a media server.  Every once in a while, it would pester me to update and after approx. nine months it locked me out with a message that stated, until I connect again to the net for updates, most functions would be limited as the "Apps" were out of date .  I then went to a dual boot setup to use my win 7 programs and Linux for online activities as most have done.

 

Edited by Realist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep.  :thumbsup:

Q. Wanna fix Windows 10 so you'll never have any more trouble with it? 

A. 1. Format the hard drive.  2. Install Linux (or Win 7 & Linux in a dual boot.)  3. Windows 10 is now fixed.

:laugh:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×