Sign in to follow this  
Realist

I just don't understand the Facebook outrage

On 4/6/2018 at 2:51 PM, walla299 said:

"The KGB would have been over the moon with access to this much information, and to think people post all this voluntarily! They would not even have to work for it! KGB Heaven it would be!"

I've never forgotten that.

I understand fully. I mainly post to warn the 'unsuspecting'. Those that never get that expected job interview or think that Lewis Carroll and George Orwell were just writing bedtime stories.

I was in the East not long after the wall came down. Wow. So cold - so soul destroying - lifeless.

It is interesting to note that the one really famous Russian defector in the UK (to the west) actually probably saved us from nuclear war in the 70's. So peeking and spying can have its benefits. Mind you the SIS or SOE is a little reticent about sharing its secrets. But there is a wealth of modern day 'data collection' out there in the ether. But mostly very very boring.

P.s. our beloved Verner Von Braun did get the Knights Cross from Hitler. The highest recognition. Then of course we gave him carte blanc and made him a US citizen. Ha!

On 4/7/2018 at 5:23 AM, walla299 said:

Fun fact: Windows 10 does *not* like it when you disconnect it from the internet and can get kinda cranky from what several techs have told me.

Yes and when you delve into the registry and tell it your connection is metered, it cannot do the auto upgrade and gets very annoyed and will tie the sys up for a long time before giving up and reinstating your op sys.

10 is the biggest pain ever. I do find win7 far more friendly but have to steer clear of the 'upgrade' continually.

11 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

I understand fully. I mainly post to warn the 'unsuspecting'. Those that never get that expected job interview or think that Lewis Carroll and George Orwell were just writing bedtime stories.

I was in the East not long after the wall came down. Wow. So cold - so soul destroying - lifeless.

It is interesting to note that the one really famous Russian defector in the UK (to the west) actually probably saved us from nuclear war in the 70's. So peeking and spying can have its benefits. Mind you the SIS or SOE is a little reticent about sharing its secrets. But there is a wealth of modern day 'data collection' out there in the ether. But mostly very very boring.

P.s. our beloved Verner Von Braun did get the Knights Cross from Hitler. The highest recognition. Then of course we gave him carte blanc and made him a US citizen. Ha!

I spent some time in the old east block during that time also. Western Europe was trying to figure out how to integrate the east with late 20th infrastructure in the West. A daunting task, especially for Germany. I was a contractor and we were installing cell sites in the former East Germany and Poland. Fun times . . . like hitting a time warp and going back to 1945 in some respects. (Don't get me started on the state of the local phone systems!) Saw a lot of place I had only read about in books, which was cool. The wall coming down was special as it was put up the year I was born. Kinda nice to be able to say, "I outlived the Berlin Wall.)  :)  Might get a T-shirt made, now that I think about it.  :laugh:

I know from my time in the Air Force that there was more than one point where the world came close to nuclear war. Many of those incidents were never publicized, and are probably still classified. 

Werner Von Braun was not the only scientist who came to the US and essentially got a free pass. Politics and the deepening Cold War. Von Braun did help put the US on the Moon, so there's that. There's a reason for that saying about politics making strange bedfellows.

11 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

Yes and when you delve into the registry and tell it your connection is metered, it cannot do the auto upgrade and gets very annoyed and will tie the sys up for a long time before giving up and reinstating your op sys.

10 is the biggest pain ever. I do find win7 far more friendly but have to steer clear of the 'upgrade' continually.

Fun story: 

My tower system was in storage for about 8 months while I healed up from a medical issue. Finally got moved into my own apartment again and unpacked it and fired it up. It's set up with a boot menu because I mainly use Linux. Windows is only used because of 2 programs for work. I fired it up in Windows so 7 could do its updates . . . and came back to Windows 10 taking over the machine (kinda like a virus.) That made me mad, and got the Windows drive formatted. I'm not having an OS that acts like malware or virus. The machine has been happily Microsoft Free ever since. I've just been too busy to bother installing Windows 7 again. 

• Loved it! 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/6/2018 at 9:23 PM, walla299 said:

Fun fact: Windows 10 does *not* like it when you disconnect it from the internet and can get kinda cranky from what several techs have told me.

I am also open minded to a new operating system and bought a win 10 tower to try it out.  After two weeks of hassle, and the fact that 80% of my go-too programs did not work on it,  I just disconnected this computer from the net permanently and used it as a media server.  Every once in a while, it would pester me to update and after approx. nine months it locked me out with a message that stated, until I connect again to the net for updates, most functions would be limited as the "Apps" were out of date .  I then went to a dual boot setup to use my win 7 programs and Linux for online activities as most have done.

Edited by Realist

Yep.  :thumbsup:

Q. Wanna fix Windows 10 so you'll never have any more trouble with it? 

A. 1. Format the hard drive.  2. Install Linux (or Win 7 & Linux in a dual boot.)  3. Windows 10 is now fixed.

:laugh:

So many interesting things in this thread :)

As to social media, it very quickly got boring unless you like empty-headed nonsense.

As you say there are some decent private groups though.

On the comp side I think the first one at home I really enjoyed was the Amiga, anyone remember that?

Werner Von Braun is an interesting subject. A lot has been said from different sides of the argument. The more I read, the more I believe what he said himself, that he was principally obsessed with the science and only dealt with the Nazis as a means to an end. I'm not justifying that but I understand how such people can become so single minded. At the end of the day I think it was in God's plan for him to go through that experience in order to eventually do SO MUCH for the Us space program. Without him I think the USSR would have continued to lead the space race and who knows to where that could have lead. I suppose though that that is a matter for a different thread.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Abby-Joy
      Facebook building tech to help you to type with your brain and 'hear' with your skin
      Facebook is working on technology that will let you type words directly from your brain and "hear" through your skin.
      The company has assembled a team of 60 scientists and engineers to work on the future of communication at Building 8, the company's mysterious new hardware division.
      "What if you could type directly from your brain? It sounds impossible, but it's closer than you think," said Regina Dugan at Facebook's F8 conference in San Jose. Dugan is an ex-DARPA, Motorola and Google executive who Facebook (FB, Tech30) hired last year to lead Building 8.
      The human brain is streaming the equivalent of 40 HD movies every second. We only share some of those thoughts as speech, which Dugan describes as essentially a compression algorithm.
      Her team is working on new technology that can essentially read your mind using sensors and optical imaging, then translate that information into words.
        There are some examples of this type of technology already, but they are slow and require surgical implants. Facebook showed a video of a woman with ALS who, with the help of implants, is able to type eight words a minute without moving her fingers.
      "We have a goal of creating a system capable of typing 100 words per minute, five-times faster than you can type on your smartphone, straight from your brain," said Dugan.
      Firing off emails while knitting or playing with your kids is only the first step. Our brains don't actually think in text, said Dugan. When you think of a cup, you're thinking of the object and the idea, not "C-U-P." The same technology could be used to read that thought and share it in any language.
      "Understanding semantics means that one day you may be able to choose to share your thoughts independent of language. English, Spanish or Mandarin -- they all become the same," said Dugan.
      Another early stage technology the Building 8 team is testing involves touch. They want to make it possible to "hear through your skin." Dugan showed a video of an early test where a Facebook engineer wore a special sleeve containing a system of actuators. It lets her feel "the acoustic shape of a word on her arm." The engineer has learned the unique feeling of around nine words, what Facebook calls a tactile vocabulary.
      "One day not so far away, it may be possible for me to think in Mandarin and for you to feel it instantly in Spanish," said Dugan.
          CNNMoney (San Jose) First published April 19, 2017: 3:23 PM ET    
    • By xyluz
      I got this news from Wordfence (a security plugin Wordpress developers use), i think everyone should read it. I hope you find it helpful.

https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2017/04/chrome-firefox-unicode-phishing/