p.rehbein

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  113
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

In times past, when the question of the Ten Commandments comes up (and it probably has here many times), and people want to know if they are still in effect today..........I always answer "Yes."  As I read Scripture, and through sincere prayer and leaning on the Holy Spirit for guidance, I believe the Ten Commandments are STILL in effect, and should STILL be taught in the Congregations today.

As you might expect, I get some blow back for my belief, and sometimes get a few nasty comments and names thrown my way as well.  How I came to believe/understand this:

Matthew 19:

16. And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?  17And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.  18He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,  19Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

This passage convinces me that the Ten Commandments carried over from the 1st Covenant to the New Covenant.  Jesus was fairly clear (in my opinion).

The most common Scripture used to deny this is:  Matthew, Chapter 22

35. Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, 36Master, which is the great commandment in the law?  37Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.  38This is the first and great commandment.  39And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.  40On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

The Scripture says "hang," not "abolished by."  But, now, that may just be me..........and, there may well be some here that disagree with me.  I find it easy when there are pictures to look at........ :)

HAT RACK.jpg

God bless you and yours.....

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

5 hours ago, p.rehbein said:

..........I always answer "Yes." 

Hebrews chapter 7 verses 11,12 If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood for on the basis of it the law was given to the people why was there still need for another priest to come one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron? For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must also be a change of the law.
John chapter 15 verse 12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.
Galatians chapter 5 verse 14 The entire law is summed up in a single command love your neighbor as your self. 

These are referring to the Laws of Moses....the Physical Laws are they not?

Jesus made a distinction between the Physical Laws given to Moses, and the Moral Laws (Ten Commandments) as well as His Commandments during His Ministry.........as I understand it.  The Apostle Paul made this distinction as well, which can be found in 2nd Timothy (I believe) when he listed the specific Moral Life a person must live if they desire to be a Priest or Deacon.

Jesus was very specific about obeying His Commandments.....

John 14:15 says "If you love Me, keep My Commandments."

I fully agree that the Physical Laws given to Moses are not for the Church today, however, the Ten Commandments (Moral Laws) and the Commandments Christ gave us during His Ministry are surely for today's Church.....

(just my thoughts)

:)

The statement is "summed up...." not abolished....right?

Edited by p.rehbein
(to add)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,184
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  1

I would agree with you, I think they still are in effect. Because their based in righteousness and righteousness is never done away with. 

I would mention that it is the understanding of the 10 commandment that Jesus would have brought forth,  had He expounded on all of them as He did on the adultery and the hating your brother commandments. I think He would have brought out the true meaning of them all. 

Including the about keeping the Sabbath. I have thought that if He did, He just might say. “The purpose of the Sabbath was to give man rest from the works of the hands. That they might enter into the rest of God”. Which brings up an interesting thought. 

Are Christians, those people that have trusted Christ as their Savior and ceased from their own works and entered in the rest of God. Are they not in fact keeping the Sabbath 24 hrs a day 365 days a year? Have pondered that thought before. 

Much love in Christ, Not me 

Edited by Not me

1 John 5....

1. Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.  2By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.  3For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

God is surely good!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,444
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

The ceremonial law and sacrifices were abolished with Jesus' death, burial and resurrection, but the moral law was not. The ceremonial and sacrifices appear to resume during the millennium that I'm not clear about when Jesus is reigning and ruling the world? My understanding anyway. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.19

Jesus said he did not come to abolish the law!! It has a purpose.

Gal 3:23  Now before faith came about, we were held in custody and confined under the Law in preparation for the faith that was to be revealed. 
Gal 3:24  And so the Law was our guardian until the Messiah came, so that we might be justified by faith. 
Gal 3:25  But now that faith has come about, we are no longer under a guardian. 

The bible often gives a message pertaining to a group of people that actually pertains to us personally.

This is one of those examples. Even though the Messiah has come into the world, if he has not come into my personal world, I still have some Law that I am under that constantly hovers over me, reminding me that I am a sinner.

I'd be willing to say that in some way or another all humans are aware of or try to follow the 10 commandments without realizing it.

I think we all too often go to the status quo phrase "the Law no longer applies" simply because we have heard it so often and without really knowing what we are saying. There is a context and proviso that goes with that saying that eludes many.

I believe Paul was saying we are under the law until we come to faith in Christ.

This thought is reinforced by what he says in Romans;

Rom 7:7  What should we say, then? Is the Law sinful? Of course not! In fact, I wouldn't have become aware of sin if it had not been for the Law. I wouldn't have known what it means to covet if the Law had not said, "You must not covet." 
Rom 7:8  But sin seized the opportunity provided by this commandment and produced in me all kinds of sinful desires, since apart from the Law, sin is dead. 

No law to break....no such thing as sin (think of Adam and Eve) . No sin...no need for forgiveness....

...no choice...no grace

The Law still has a purpose!

No longer for me though, because for me , it has served it's purpose in bringing me to the only solution it's designed to do.....faith in the Messiah.