• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/16/1980

I know paying tithe and offering are commanded. Amount to be paid as tithe is clearly stated in God's words while that offering is not. I have heard that offering amount should be more than tithe and this is quite unclear to me. So if I collect one hundred thousand naira every month, how much should be paid as offering having it in mind that tithe is ten percent of my income

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

Tithing In the New Testament:

• Christ taught it (Mt. 23:23; Lk. 11:42; cp. Mt. 5:20 with Lk. 18:11-12; see Mt. 10:10; Lk. 10:7-8). This was teaching for the kingdom of heaven (Mt. 11:11-14; Lk. 16:16)
  • Paul Taught It:
  • Condemned sacrilege (Rom. 2:22), or robbing temples (Mal. 3:8-10) and using holy things (Lev. 27)
  • Teachers to be paid (Gal. 6:6)
  • God ordained support of ministers (1Cor. 9:7-14; 1Tim. 6:17-18)
  • Christians to give as God prospers them (1Cor. 16:2)
  • Melchisedec priesthood is eternal and must be supported by children of Abraham (Heb. 6:20; 7:1-11,17,21)
  • Children of Abraham in faith must walk in his steps (Rom. 4:12; Heb. 7)
  • Tithing is proof of obedience and appreciation of God’s blessings (Rom. 4:12; Heb. 7:6-10; 1Cor. 9:7-14; 1Tim. 6:17-18; cp. Mal. 3:8-10; Prov. 3:9-10; Gen. 14:20; Dt. 8:10-20)

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

On 4/12/2018 at 2:19 PM, HAZARD said:

Tithing In the New Testament:  

When I looked up the references in the above post I found that few actually had much to do with the New Testament or us;  so I found others that do.  Giving is something I have desired to do from the time that I surrendered to Christ as Lord of my life.  I gave my heart first to God, and then to my teachers and those who labor among us.  It is not necessarily 10%, since gifts to the poor is over and above giving to God's work.  Labor is also a way of giving--our time and talents. 

• Christ taught the Jews who lived yet under the law should obey the law.  When He fulfilled the law and died for us, He extended grace to us by giving us His righteousness.  When He sent us the Holy Spirit, we received the law written on our hearts, a new heart that desires to do the things the law speaks of without requiring it of us for salvation.  We give out of a grateful heart.
  •  
  • Paul Taught:
  •       1Co 9:7  ESV  Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard without eating any of its fruit? Or who tends a flock without getting some of the milk? 1Co 9:8  Do I say these things on human authority? Does not the Law say the same? 1Co 9:9  For it is written in the Law of Moses, "You shall not muzzle an ox when it treads out the grain." Is it for oxen that God is concerned?

1Co 9:10  Does he not certainly speak for our sake? It was written for our sake, because the plowman should plow in hope and the thresher thresh in hope of sharing in the crop.

• 1Co 9:11  If we have sown spiritual things among you, is it too much if we reap material things from you?

1Co 9:12  If others share this rightful claim on you, do not we even more? Nevertheless, we have not made use of this right, but we endure anything rather than put an obstacle in the way of the gospel of Christ.

1Co 9:13  Do you not know that those who are employed in the temple service get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in the sacrificial offerings?

1Co 9:14  In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel.

1Co 9:15  But I have made no use of any of these rights, nor am I writing these things to secure any such provision. For I would rather die than have anyone deprive me of my ground for boasting. 1Co 9:16  For if I preach the gospel, that gives me no ground for boasting. For necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!  1Co 9:17  For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward, but if not of my own will, I am still entrusted with a stewardship.

1Co 9:18  What then is my reward? That in my preaching I may present the gospel free of charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel.  1Co 9:19  For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them.

1Ti 6:8  But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.

1Ti 6:9  But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 1Ti 6:10  For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

• Heb 13:5  Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."  Heb 13:6  So we can confidently say, "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?"

Christians to give as God prospers them (1Cor. 16:2)

We should give to help the poor as God enables us, out of our abundance or surplus.  

• 2Co 8:1  We want you to know, brothers, about the grace of God that has been given among the churches of Macedonia, 2Co 8:2  for in a severe test of affliction, their abundance of joy and their extreme poverty have overflowed in a wealth of generosity on their part.

2Co 8:3  For they gave according to their means, as I can testify, and beyond their means, of their own accord, 2Co 8:4  begging us earnestly for the favor of taking part in the relief of the saints— 2Co 8:5  and this, not as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then by the will of God to us.

• 2Co 8:12  For if the readiness is there, it is acceptable according to what a person has, not according to what he does not have. 2Co 8:13  For I do not mean that others should be eased and you burdened, but that as a matter of fairness 2Co 8:14  your abundance at the present time should supply their need, so that their abundance may supply your need, that there may be fairness.

2Co 9:7  Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.