IGNORED

Tithe and Offering........Tithe is ten percent and offering is?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/16/1980

I know paying tithe and offering are commanded. Amount to be paid as tithe is clearly stated in God's words while that offering is not. I have heard that offering amount should be more than tithe and this is quite unclear to me. So if I collect one hundred thousand naira every month, how much should be paid as offering having it in mind that tithe is ten percent of my income.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,528
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 hour ago, opportunitykenny said:

I know paying tithe and offering are commanded. Amount to be paid as tithe is clearly stated in God's words while that offering is not. I have heard that offering amount should be more than tithe and this is quite unclear to me. So if I collect one hundred thousand naira every month, how much should be paid as offering having it in mind that tithe is ten percent of my income.

Tithing is by definition 10 percent; but of what, and how often, and to whom or what?

Gifts are just that, gifts. Christians have reached all sorts of differing conclusions on what is proper for them individually.

A widow with absolutely nothing might give it all, as has been the case, while another with  great assets might careful calculate  10% of gain only, of first fruits only, or only on net income after taxes have been paid to earthly governing bodies.

If one is to emulate conditions under the Law of Moses, then there are tithes and more tithes, and additional tithes, adding up to about 23.3%  per year. Plus double portions. And there is also calculation of values leading to  the year of Jubilee.  Plus there was still room for gift giving.

Christians do all sorts of variations, making pledges, giving  offerings each week, funding benevolent work, directly giving to missionaries.

Some  tend to concur that  they are not under law and give freely to whatever they give. Some others tend to value a local body of Christ and value the pastors and teachers/elders deaconesses and deacons  and so they want their local church to be well funded.

As to my own way:

I think a 10% tip to a waiter or a waitress to be a terrible insult to them even for mediocore service, so how do I measure what  I value about learning of God and the opportunity to worship him?

I think my giving at corporate services to be a part of my personal worship!

I give as I am led, and yes I often do not know what the left hand is doing nor the right. And I don't worry one way or another about receipts for USA income tax deductions. - though I take what is recorded properly.

Over the years God has led to having me give a specific amount to a particular cause, and I have later learned it was His moving of me to properly fund a good cause by others. That's pretty cool, in fact I treasure it for it tells me of God, and I am overjoyed for it.

Guess I can only recommend that another read the information in the Bible, pray, think, pray again, and do as they are then led, and never let another person bother them over it.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,184
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  1

Before I say this, know that it is what your personal relationship with Christ is telling you, that is important here. If your heart is telling you something different “please” ignore what I write. That being said;

I am not convinced tithing is a new covenant command. I think it was changed to “God loves a cheerful giver.”So I’m of the mind that whatever God puts on your heart to give, give. I realize sometimes this is hard to tell. This is why our personal relationship with Christ is so vital. The closer we get to Christ the easier it is to hear His Spirit.

My understanding here is. Scripture says by “dying with Christ” we have been freed from “the  law.” Now we’re under the “law of Christ” which means listening to whatever the Spirit of Christ is speaking “in you” at any moment of time.  

But there is nothing “wrong” with tithings and offering, if it’s something your heart tells you to do . But no longer a “law” for we have been freed from the law.

If this causes a issue, please ignore  what I wrote. For obedience to “your” relationship with Christ is what’s important here. 

much love in Christ, Not me

Edited by Not me
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, opportunitykenny said:

Tithing is an old testament thing. It is an Israel thing. It was their theocracy's equivalent to modern day taxes. 

Christians don't tithe. They give. And one poor woman in the gospels gave everything she had: a penny.

In the U.S., the closest thing we pay to a tithe would be our federal income tax. And, oddly, it's a lot more than 10%.

Edited by Still Alive
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Tithing is by definition 10 percent; but of what, and how often, and to whom or what?

Tithing by modern western definition/ tradition is 10% but that isnt the biblical definition of a tithe. 

The new testament tells us to give as we are led to give. We are not mandated to give an arbitrary 10%. 

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

People who feel an obligation to tithe best not forget to sacrifice their goat or whatever....The Body Of Christ in this Age of Grace is under no obligation to give anything.Paul has given us the latest instructions concerning giving.Give from your heart, but keep in mind that the more you give the more you will receive.I would love to have the wisdom and faith of John Wesley who gave 90% and kept only 10%....... think of the tre@sure awaiting him in Paradise.

3 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

People who feel an obligation to tithe best not forget to sacrifice their goat or whatever....The Body Of Christ in this Age of Grace is under no obligation to give anything.Paul has given us the latest instructions concerning giving.Give from your heart, but keep in mind that the more you give the more you will receive.I would love to have the wisdom and faith of John Wesley who gave 90% and kept only 10%....... think of the tre@sure awaiting him in Paradise.

I have noticed that Wesley according to the accounts gave less than 10% when he needed money to care for himself! As he prospered he then gave more.

As his income exceeded his basic need he gave more, in fact all the excess.

Plus; he evidently  preached tithing, as do many, but many disagree too.

4 hours ago, ayin jade said:

Tithing by modern western definition/ tradition is 10% but that isnt the biblical definition of a tithe. 

The new testament tells us to give as we are led to give. We are not mandated to give an arbitrary 10%. 

Okay, that is interesting, just what is a tenth by "Biblical" definition?

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,243
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Tithing is not a New testament ordinance, but it is a good starting point. Most people can give way much more, some can only manage little. Like others have said, you need to have fun giving (cuz it is). And the more it hurts,  you double or triple the reward. You can't out give God. (Just try to!)
It all belongs to God, anyway..................

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  761
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

Galatians 3:10 

Under the/a law will put a curse on you. Salvation secure but well being in jeopardy.  Get free of man's traditions and stay free. Listen to Him on your giving. Not man.  Flee those that are covetous. 

1Cor 5;11 but now i have written to you not to keep company if any man is called a brother, be a fornicator or covetous.....

Edited by ejected