Kevinb

Does God change your memories when you go to heaven?

As a non believer I don't believe in an afterlife. I was interested in what people perceive of what remains of them in heaven..all current memories? As they are at the end or were at some prior time? Does a god change you in any way? If so how.. when... how do you know? 

Oh a duplicate.. apologies..i had some glitch delay thing. Please use does God change you in afterlife headline

Hi Kevin,

When we sin, we corrupt ourselves. Essentially, we brake ourselves so that we are not whole in the sense that God created us. We are missing aspects of our creation. In turn, that corruption weakens us to temptation, so that we are more susceptible to further sin - and thus the cycle of corruption perpetuates.

In the afterlife, God restores us to our original, created condition. We will live a perfectly whole existence - i.e. in perfect peace; entirely fulfilled and content. Not only will we be less susceptible to sin, but our experience of this corrupted life will starkly contrast against our existence of perfect peace. Our current life makes us fully aware of the consequences of sin - i.e. of all the suffering and death. So there will be a massive shift of perspective.

Our memories are part of who we are. God restoring us is not taking anything away from us, but replacing what is missing.

1 John 3:2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.

1 Corinthians 15 :50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption. 51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed— 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”

2 Corinthians 5 :1 For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven, 3 if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. 4 For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life.

On 12/04/2018 at 12:49 AM, Tristen said:

Our memories are part of who we are. God restoring us is not taking anything away from us, but replacing what is missing.

Hi again Tristen and thanks for your reply and verses.

How do Christians reconcile going to and being happy in heaven when they know their kids are atheists being tortured in hell forever and not with them in heaven? God isn't changing memories as you say or wiping memory of kids ... any verses to explain this?  

On 4/11/2018 at 5:38 PM, Kevinb said:

As a non believer I don't believe in an afterlife. I was interested in what people perceive of what remains of them in heaven..all current memories? As they are at the end or were at some prior time? Does a god change you in any way? If so how.. when... how do you know? 

Here’s what we can know from the Bible:

1 Man alone is created to emulate our God {are RATIONAL beings}

Genesis 1:[26] And he said: Let us make man to our image and likeness: and let him have dominion over the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the air, and the beasts, and the whole earth, and every creeping creature that moveth upon the earth. [27] And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.

In order for man to be the only Rational thing in the Universe requires that man be gifted with a mind, intellect and freewill.

2 We are “Dust” and upon our death we return to “Dust”

"In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread till thou return to the earth, out of which thou wast taken: for dust thou art, and into dust thou shalt return."

[Genesis 3:19]

3 John 4: 23-24 teaches us:

[23]But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true adorers shall adore the Father in spirit and in truth. For the Father also seeketh such to adore him. [24] God is a spirit; and they that adore him, must adore him in spirit and in truth.

So your question is a good one. THANK YOU

So man is dust and returns to Dust upon death. So IF there is an after- life; what then {and How?} does man patriciate?

Here is a definition of the “Soul” from Father John Hardon’s Catholic Dictionary   Father Hardon was one of the most esteemed Theologians of the 20th Century.

SOUL. The spiritual immortal part in human beings that animates their body. Though a substance in itself, the soul is naturally ordained toward a body; separated, it is an "incomplete" substance. The soul has no parts, it is therefore simple, but it is not without accidents. The faculties are its proper accidents. Every experience adds to its accidental form. It is individually created for each person by God and infused into the body at the time of human insemination. It is moreover created in respect to the body it will inform, so that the substance of bodily features and of mental characteristics insofar as they depend on organic functions is safeguarded. As a simple and spiritual substance, the soul cannot die. Yet it is not the total human nature, since a human person is composed of body animated by the soul. In philosophy, animals and plants are also said to have souls, which operate as sensitive and vegetative principles of life. Unlike the human spirit, these souls are perishable. The rational soul contains all the powers of the two other souls and is the origin of the sensitive and vegetative functions in the human being. END QUOTES

So the soul is that “thing” which animates LIFE. Hence all living things can Philosophically be “known” to have a “soul.” BUT just as there is a ranking of merit in the animal kingdom with humanity being the summit; so to souls have a similar ranking; where again with man being the only rational creature, man’s Soul is the again the summit. ONLY humanities “soul” is eternal and cannot be killed, and does not ever die, and man’s rational attributes remain attached to the Soul for eternity.

Were this not true there would be no logical reason for humanity to exist.

Now to answer your question: WHAT REMAINS after death?

The human Soul with its Rationality intact remains. Souls will know intuitively God and everyone in heaven. The Soul will be able to pray for those on earth. The Soul will be FOCUSED on Divine Worship; so the memory of past human events will be possible but as a VERY low priority; the priority is Divine Worship and Thanks to God.

If you don’t believe in God how is that only humanity is RATIONAL in the entire Universe?

Easter Blessings new friend,

Patrick

24 minutes ago, Patrick Miron said:

Here’s what we can know from the Bible:

Hi Patrick. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm not a Christian so I'm sure you'll understand citing the bible doesn't help me or form evidence for me absent of proving the claims. Always interested in reading verses though. 

26 minutes ago, Patrick Miron said:

Here is a definition of the “Soul” from Father John Hardon’s Catholic Dictionary   Father Hardon was one of the most esteemed Theologians of the 20th Century.

Okay..a definition of  soul thanks it's hard to nail people down to define. So how do I corroberate Father Hardons claims re the immortal and such based on his biblical? This feels like an arguement from authority unless there is evidence right? 

Other religions might say we're born again.. maybe as animals. Can't prove or disprove that either. Ergo default isn't to believe until evidential warrant right? 

32 minutes ago, Patrick Miron said:

Were this not true there would be no logical reason for humanity to exist.

So outside of God we've no logical reason as to how humanity is here? For me I'm happy with evolution. 

What evidence do we have of mind outside of brain anyway? 

37 minutes ago, Patrick Miron said:

If you don’t believe in God how is that only humanity is RATIONAL in the entire Universe?

I don't believe sure but how does that mean humans are the only rational species in our galaxy of 2 billion stars to which the sun is one. Then we've 2 billion ish galaxies in the observable universe. I'd be astounded if we're the only or most rational. 

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Hi Patrick. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm not a Christian so I'm sure you'll understand citing the bible doesn't help me or form evidence for me absent of proving the claims. Always interested in reading verses though. 

Okay..a definition of  soul thanks it's hard to nail people down to define. So how do I corroberate Father Hardons claims re the immortal and such based on his biblical? This feels like an arguement from authority unless there is evidence right? 

Other religions might say we're born again.. maybe as animals. Can't prove or disprove that either. Ergo default isn't to believe until evidential warrant right? 

So outside of God we've no logical reason as to how humanity is here? For me I'm happy with evolution. 

What evidence do we have of mind outside of brain anyway? 

I don't believe sure but how does that mean humans are the only rational species in our galaxy of 2 billion stars to which the sun is one. Then we've 2 billion ish galaxies in the observable universe. I'd be astounded if we're the only or most rational. 

Thanks for YOUR response; and I was aware that your not a Christian [but you being active on this FORM would indicate at least some questions if not actual doubts about atheism.]

As to verification: the practice of religions is commonly termed "FAITH"; because there are and will be things that are NOT logically or scientifically discernible; however humanity and our eternity is not one of them.

There has to be a source for "life"

That source is the "soul"

Of the hundreds of MILLIONS of living things on Planet earth; ONLY ONE; only humanity is rational

rationally that FACT cannot be accidental; there HAS to be be both a cause and the Reason.

The Cause is our GOD; the reason is so that humanity {alone} can and therefore is obligated Morally to so.

There CAN be but One TRUE GOD; who can and does have just ONE TRUE set of Faith beliefs. Multiple gods logically could not have designed and created the entire universe and its sense of ORDER.

It is impossible that "luck" placed the Sun and the Moon in our galaxy; our orbit by chance. Without these two Gifts planted by God there would be NO living things on earth; even man could not survive 

Reincarnation is at best a Myth. As only man is rational; any "recreation" would be to a LESSER species; this philosophy is an effort to explain what is logically unexplained.  And it fails to do so.

The Universe exist so that man {alone} can; could and should come to know that a GOD exist; if they are honest with themselves

As to evolution: what about a FIRST CAUSE? What about in the BILLIONS of things in the Universe; only man having a FREEWILL and Intellect? How my friend did these evolve?       '

As to your question of the mind and man: I explained the WHY; can you actually disprove it?

And YOU OUGHT to Be "ASTOUNDED" that man is the only Rational creature and creation in the entire UNIVERSE! Can you or science disprove this?

The FACT that man alone can reason means that WE SHOULD use this ability as God intends; to discover Him. To not do so is to be slothful in our existence. How do "you" my friend disprove that their is a GOD? We exist for a reason; what then is THAT reason?

Easter Blessings my new friend,

Patrick

r

Edited by Patrick Miron

19 minutes ago, Patrick Miron said:

Thanks for YOUR response; and I was aware that your not a Christian [but you being active on this FORM would indicate at least some questions if not actual doubts about atheism.]

Hi again☺. 

Well doubts about atheism no..i don't buy into any God evidence nor am able to filter that down to any one version. I'm open to changing my mind on good levels of evidence though... just not seen that yet. 

Questions about how theists think sure..i want to further my understanding. We all need to share space on this planet and its important I think to try and relate.. to question.. to understand each other. 

19 minutes ago, Patrick Miron said:

As to verification: the practice of religions is commonly termed "FAITH"; because there are and will be things that are NOT logically or scientifically discernible; however humanity and our eternity is not one of them.

Yes agreed on faith. What position or religion couldn't I buy into on faith when it's not logical or scientifically discernible though? Faith: strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof...or Hebrews 11.1: Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. I don't see how this is a good way to think or best chance of getting to what's actually or most likely true. 

How can I believe in the eternity you suggest?

28 minutes ago, Patrick Miron said:

There has to be a source for "life"

That source is the "soul"

There MUST be a how life is here .. sure.

The soul bit. Well we've many religious claims here. So you'd agree  your position is on faith not evidence then? I don't do that in any other context of life and workplace..do you.. why do that here? 

34 minutes ago, Patrick Miron said:

Of the hundreds of MILLIONS of living things on Planet earth; ONLY ONE; only humanity is rational

rationally that FACT cannot be accidental; there HAS to be be both a cause and the Reason.

Only as rational and reasoned as us.. sure on this planet. How do you know this applies to 2 billion solar systems in our galaxy X another 2 billion galaxies?

Course I'd reject rationally can't be an accident and must be a reason and purpose. How do you demonstrate the latters here..how do you demonstrate the former is impossible? You just need faith? Yet you say can't be accidental and has to be reason and purpose this implies more than faith ie some evidence? 

44 minutes ago, Patrick Miron said:

There CAN be but One TRUE GOD; who can and does have just ONE TRUE set of Faith beliefs. Multiple gods logically could not have designed and created the entire universe and its sense of ORDER.

Aren't other Gods just as unfalsifiable. You realise the problem with unfalsifiable beliefs? Why can't they.. if there are Gods why couldn't they work together to create? Don't little old humans work together to create let alone gods. 

Either way what's the actual evidence a god or gods created the universe? How do we demonstrate causality? I see no way currently hence in what basis do I believe?  faith  then christianity on another leap of faith? 

55 minutes ago, Patrick Miron said:

It is impossible that "luck" placed the Sun and the Moon in our galaxy; our orbit by chance. Without these two Gifts planted by God there would be NO living things on earth; even man could not survive 

I wouldn't say luck. Did you know without Jupiter being where it is hovering up debris from the early solar system formation we'd probably not be here too as earth would have been struck by asteroids way more often than it has. I see natural laws and causality. 

How do you prove only the natural in terms of solar system set up is impossible? How do you prove God put things there? 

To me it looks anthropic. So a better argument for a god might be we find ourselves existing in a solar system we can't exist in based on our current levels of make up and composition. Anthropically.. the quote of the puddle of water gaining awareness  and saying wow this hole was designed to fit me perfectly. How do you disprove we're not an emergent thing of the laws of the solar system? Everything we've found thus far in 400 years of science being natural law. We've less reason than before to buy into magical claims... these are what we had pre science. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Miron said:

Reincarnation is at best a Myth. As only man is rational; any "recreation" would be to a LESSER species; this philosophy is an effort to explain what is logically unexplained.  And it fails to do so.

Course I don't believe in reincarnation either.. I'd agree it's myth. Some faiths don't think so. Using one faith based model why wouldn't I apply faith to another and be justified in believing that. Both are faith.. both have no evidence.. both are unfalsifiable.  Lesser species doesn't mean or prove its not true.. nor would same species. In may indeed on a Christian faith world view. 

The Universe exist so that man {alone} can; could and should come to know that a GOD exist; if they are honest with themselves

How can we prove the claim?

As to evolution: what about a FIRST CAUSE? What about in the BILLIONS of things in the Universe; only man having a FREEWILL and Intellect? How my friend did these evolve?       '

1st cause? So abiogenisis? We've evidence of building blocks occurring naturally..beyond in terms if a definitive? Don't know. So don't know isn't ergo God.. must demonstrate your claim right?  Adam and eve evidence? I assume you don't believe in evolution.

Again so only humans have free will in 2 billion x 2 billion solar systems when we've ish explored 1 solar system? How do you prove life comparable or beyond ours doesn't exist in all that and all that was for a God and us? I don't see the need for absolutes in the total absence of evidence. 

As to your question of the mind and man: I explained the WHY; can you actually disprove it?

Well you made a  claim thats unfalsifiable. That's a problem. Can you prove reincarnation is impossible?  Show your data. You can't as it's unfalsifiable too. We shouldn't believe in claims till they're disproven..we should believe in them when they're proven. That's the default. Religious claims or any other. 

How do "you" my friend disprove that their is a GOD? We exist for a reason; what then is THAT reason?

Again we shouldn't believe in claims till they're disproven..we should believe in them when they're proven. By reason you mean purpose? As a Christian you must think purpose. To ask how is valid.. We've astrophysics.. General relativity..quantum mechanics... evolution by natural selection. I'm here so I need to give my own purpose and make the most. 

Bit more on topic I'd love to hear your thoughts on my reply to Tristen:

5 hours ago, Kevinb said:
On 12/04/2018 at 12:49 AM, Tristen said:

Hi again Tristen and thanks for your reply and verses.

How do Christians reconcile going to and being happy in heaven when they know their kids are atheists being tortured in hell forever and not with them in heaven? God isn't changing memories as you say or wiping memory of kids ... any verses to explain this?  

thanks Patrick. A busy weekend ahead now but I'm looking forward to picking this up again soon. Take care for now. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/11/2018 at 2:38 PM, Kevinb said:

Nowhere does it state in the book of Revelation that anyone 'goes' to Heaven.  Rev. 21 states that in 1,000 + years we will be gathered together in New Jerusalem, a city, on New earth, which has a new Heaven.

Memories are a very interesting topic.  No, you do not keep any memories if you are a Christian who dies (ie. not a luke warm one that fails God) and is resurrected into a new body in 1,000 + years.  I have a very long explanation for the 'glorification'/resurrection process for believers that Revelation explains as a mystery (so can't go into it here and now as they have place a new cellular tower system in my neighborhood so can't be on pc long now as I get migraines too often now). 

There is no exact information re: "memories" in scripture, I am only witnessing there will be none that they keep as  their new bodies will have memories that suit their situation then, as there should be (what good are 1,000 year old memories?  they do not fit time/place).  I based this intel on my own experience of witnessing the saints resurrecting Oct. 31st, 2015...as I have witnessed here prior.  Mods deleted the thread about (they would rather keep their more generic ideas about Revelation's intent intact).

Edited by eileenhat

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, eileenhat said:

Nowhere does it state in the book of Revelation that anyone 'goes' to Heaven.  Rev. 21 states that in 1,000 + years we will be gathered together in New Jerusalem, a city, on New earth, which has a new Heaven.

Memories are a very interesting topic.  No, you do not keep any memories if you are a Christian who dies (ie. not a luke warm one that fails God) and is resurrected into a new body in 1,000 + years.  I have a very long explanation for the 'glorification'/resurrection process for believers that Revelation explains as a mystery (so can't go into it here and now as they have place a new cellular tower system in my neighborhood so can't be on pc long now as I get migraines too often now). 

There is no exact information re: "memories" in scripture, I am only witnessing there will be none that they keep as  their new bodies will have memories that suit their situation then, as there should be (what good are 1,000 year old memories?  they do not fit time/place).  I based this intel on my own experience of witnessing the saints resurrecting Oct. 31st, 2015...as I have witnessed here prior.  Mods deleted the thread about (they would rather keep their more generic ideas about Revelation's intent intact).

That's really interesting... many thanks for your time. I've not heard it put quite that way.. more often the reunited with loved ones... that would fall on memory and or altering of. 

Sorry to hear about your migrains ... I've had a few... it's crippling, utterly. Pretty scandalous they can dump a cell tower that close. 

I'm intrigued by the saints witnessing?  Maybe another time though absent of migraine triggers.

Edited by Kevinb
  • Thumbs Up 1