• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  471
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,542
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Days Won:  9

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

The thrift store where I am at has nothing but junk. :crazy:     Maybe. Just maybe there might be something that is good. But most of the time it is just junk and grandma clothes.   I go in there with hopes and dreams and leave with nothing feeling like I wasted my time. :bored-1:

Thats two bad we have two stores that have good choice. Maybe go to another town ? If your near a big city there should be good stores. 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  78

On 4/23/2018 at 8:28 PM, LadyKay said:

Well an update sort of to  this thing. This pass weekend I went out and bought myself a new pair of jeans and a pair of sweat pants. Ended up also having to buy clothes for my stepdaughter's daughter since she was spending the weekend with us and her mother did not send her with any clean clothes. But I said "nope! I am not going to put my stuff back." So I did not go without and neither did anyone else. :laugh: 

Just my opinion, LK, but the Lord doesn't require us to deny ourselves everything.  You will feel much more charitable toward others if you are good to yourself.  As for your step daughter, if she is healthy and able, there are LOTS of jobs out there.  A thirty  year old should be independent.  We are to hlp our children if need be but not enable them.  It[s bad for THEM..

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

6 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

Thats two bad we have two stores that have good choice. Maybe go to another town ? If your near a big city there should be good stores. 

True, our thrift stores in L.A. have really nice things.   Lots of stuff looks unused, and that's what I buy.  I enjoy going to them.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  1

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:34 AM, Wayne222 said:

Hi you can always shop in a thrift store. I bout five pairs of really nice jeans and six t shirts and other stuffnts to wrar. The jeans were twodollars each. The shirts 99 cents each. So i spent just 20 dollars total. And the jeans are really nice. I alwaysshop like this l9l. I have a lot of clothes. Praise God he opens doors if we ask. 

This man is talking good sense to you.  I have not bought a new pair of jeans for about 40 years.  It is totally unnecessary to waste money like that.

Edited by Willie T

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

5 hours ago, Willie T said:

This man is talking good sense to you.  I have not bought a new pair of jeans for about 40 years.  It is totally unnecessary to waste money like that.

Seems a bit harsh. I don't see buying one pair of jeans as a waste of money. Considering I had my other pair for so long I had to sew a button on it to hold them together, I hardly think I am a waster of money. 

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

I'm requesting that this thread be locked.

• Praying! 1

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

On 2018-04-12 at 7:15 PM, GandalfTheWise said:

Sounds like a handful of issues being mixed together here.   Temporary help to an adult child in need for unexpected situations is one thing; an on going subsidy of a negative cashflow lifestyle is another.   One spouse making a monetary decision without consulting the other when it has effects on lifestyle is a problem.  Being ground down from over-ministering to others can be a problem; we have our limits.  Once we go beyond "my yoke is light and burden is easy", perhaps we are taking on too much.

I'm not sure this will help or not, but I ran across an interesting sermon this week about having our internal life in order.  He gave the example of when someone asks you to do something you really don't want to do.  How often do we feel like our options are to "say yes and be mad" or "say no and feel bad"?   He pointed out that often our negative feelings are often due to taking on burdens we are not meant to carry and some degree of self-deception.  "If I don't do it, no one else will." "I'm a bad Christian if I do not."  "It will mess up some relationships if I don't"   He made the great observation that we need to have a strong sense of "This is an opportunity from God to minister" or "This is a distraction that will divert time and resources away from where God really wants me to minister."   When we operate from this level, we are in a better to position to say yes or no without the attached negative feelings of guilt or frustration.  We are also in a position where our ministering to people will be much more effective.

So, I would not say you are being unChristlike :) so much as this maybe being symptomatic that God might want to do some changes inside you or have clearer priorities for ministry.  

Maybe you can share that sermon you heard with us?

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  0

I cleaned this thread up a little bit. If you'd still like me to lock it, shoot me a PM.