nubyrth

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

so I believe I know what my gift is, but I'm wondering how do you learn how to walk in your gift?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

New birth praise the LORD .    The word that is in caps,   THAT IS WHO teaches us how to walk .   

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  186
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  2

Learning how to walk in the gift is simply being obedient when the Holy Spirit is prompting you to that He wants to use you in it.....it may make you kind of nervous but when you obey then it will just flow......trust Him....also be sure your heart is right before doing this....people make mistakes thinking they are operating in their gift when it is actually just their flesh....there are a lot of books out there that help people understand how the gifts work....maybe google search it. 

God Bless!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

This was a response I gave to someone with a similar question awhile ago when asking about how to step out in the gifts.

There are more aspects to consider than just how to start.  Effective use of spiritual gifts (and here I am including the entire range of things) rests on a combination of spiritual maturity and character, God's timing and empowering and direction, practical guidance and mentoring, and experience.  Ultimately, our effectiveness in using gifts, talents, and experience is rooted in the depth and quality of our spiritual walk with God.

Depending on the gifts, some are most appropriately and effectively used in the setting of a community of Christians, others are used on an at-need basis as God leads with other individuals or situations.  Depending on the gifts, the best place to start might be to talk with a pastor or ministry leader about getting involved in a particular ministry, or it might just be stepping out in faith and starting to do things as God leads.  In any event, it's usually a matter of learning to crawl before we walk.  Expect to make mistakes and potentially feel embarrassed at times.  We all go through it.

Spiritual gifts are not so much something the God gives to us as individuals to use, but rather something He has given for the purpose of building up other believers and ministering to people.  Our focus needs to be on people and their needs and how a gift can minister to them rather than on the gifts themselves.  

So anyway, be bold and willing to step out in faith. :)    Depending on the gift and situation, this might mean offering to pray for someone as God prompts you, it might mean volunteering to do something new, it might mean joining a particular ministry team or group, it might mean stepping out in faith and doing something for someone.  As much as possible, keep yourself within the fellowship of a group of Christians (which might be a church, small group, prayer group, or Christian friends and family) for encouragement and a good support structure for you, and ideally maybe having some people who have the same or similar gifts around you to learn from.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/01/1917

Always remember to focus on The Gift-Giver. Too many fall when they lose focus and major in 'gifts' and lose sight of Him Who gives the gifts. Pray that he might use someone else, even someone who has never stepped out in giftings before, but let Him know that if no one else is available that He may make use of you. That is walking in humility, which is the currency of Heaven.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

I have read scripture about the gifts of the Spirit over and over again, and have never read that we are given one specific gift for a lifetime.  What I do read is that the the Holy Spirit gives to each individually as He wills.

1 Corinthians 12:4-11

There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.  There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord.  And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all.  But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.  But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

Gifts are different than an office or position in the church body, as in a Teacher, Preacher,  or Evangelist.  It is my personal belief that the Holy Spirit will use whomever He will in any circumstance by giving a specific gift for a specific occasion.  He may give you a word of knowledge in one instance, then the gift of faith in another.  He may use you through the gift of prophecy one day, then use someone else a little later.  I guess what I am saying is that there is no evidence that a gift is given to someone to use forever at their discretion.  Some believe that they are, but I'm not of that belief.  To me, we are His tools to use as He wills whenever He needs us to edify or assist someone else.

Edited by OneLight
  • Thumbs Up 1