• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  123
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/22/1988

Hey everyone, not sure if this is the correct section. I have a question please. 

“But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice.’ For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.””
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭9:13‬ ‭NKJV‬‬ 

I’ve read this before and I read t again tonight and it just spoke to me. I really want to know what it means? The part about “I desire mercy and not sacrifice”. I found it again in Hosea 6:6. 

Is there someone that can give me some clarification on this please? Thank you very much. 

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  7,776
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

4 hours ago, Chi said:

Hey everyone, not sure if this is the correct section. I have a question please. 

“But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice.’ For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.””

I’ve read this before and I read t again tonight and it just spoke to me. I really want to know what it means? The part about

“I desire mercy and not sacrifice”. I found it again in Hosea 6:6. 

Is there someone that can give me some clarification on this please? Thank you very much. 

Jesus was in the company of those considered unclean and sinners and in need of cleansing from their sins.

They were Jewish or Israelites born under the Law of Moses.

According to the Law of Moses, the way for these people to be cleaned for their sins, it was to offered sacrifices in the Temple. 

In their customs and as they were instructed in the Law of Moses the  Jews were to keep away from them, not to mix or associate with them. 

But look what took place. 

First the Pharisees regarded Jesus at that place and that time as clean and not a sinner. 

They said : why you mix with them , you are not like them, and you may be perceived by those who do not know you that you are also a sinner. 

If you read carefully they tried to give him some good advice. 

Next in the prophet 's time it was fortold that the old covenant will end, and the sacrifices for the forgiveness of sins, will not continue in the New Covenant. 

So it was said by the prophet who spoke those words given to him by the Lord. 

"I desire Mercy and not sacrifice", 

When the New Covenant comes the Lord will not ask for sacrifices for the forgiveness of sins,

you understand that we have Jesus sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins. 

The Pharisees they study the scriptures and they understand that the Lord will show Mercy to them , forgiving their sins, without the sacrifices, but they did not understand how this will happen, and how about the priest and the Temple.

They did not understand. or it was hidden from them , that their Lord had to come in the flesh and die before that happen. 

So Jesus knowing that not only the Pharisees but also the Tax collectors knew that , they needed the sacrifices for their sins .

But see what had just happened.

Jesus had wellcome one of them in his company of disciples, without asking him to offered sacrifices for the forgiveness of his sins.

We see that Jesus shaw "Mercy" to him, he forgave his sins, and he did not tell anyone, he did that in secracy. 

We understand that Jesus forgave the sins of people while in his ministry here on earth, before the Cross and for the Jews only. 

Perhaps this is the fulfilment of that prophecy, when he fotgave the sins of the people before the Cross, and the tax collector was one of them. 

So this tax collector was clean, his sins  were forgiven and he did not even know it at first. 

That may have happen when he call him, but eventually he must have told him. 

We see that Jesus spoke with authority knowing who he was and what his mission is, and 

That prophecy it was about him. 

Speaking those words through his prophet, as the Lord God of the Jews. 

Knowing that he will leave his place as the Lord God of the Jews , to be the Lord God for the whole word, (that's why he was saying in the prophecies that not only the Jews believers but also the Gentiles believers will be his people). The new man in Jesus Christ. 

He knew that he had to enter our world through his birth, and eventually die on the Cross for the forgiveness of our sins, the whole worlds sins. 

So he was telling the Pharisees that this scripture is fullfiled in him. Identifying him self as their Lord God and the CHRIST. 

As Jesus one time said that David called his Lord God "his CHRIST". 

" the Lord said to my Lord, sit at my right hand till I make your enemies your foot stool", 

And that what happened, God raised Jesus from the dead and sitted him on the Throne in Heaven and made him Lord and Judge over all. 

This is the vision Steven shaw at the time of his death. 

• Thumbs Up 1

@Yowm

@Your closest friendnt

Thank you for those lovely responses. 

I wonder if I haven’t been “attoning for my sins” by sacrificing and doing “the right thing”. I’ve been a little distracted and life has been busy, I think God is telling me that I shouldn’t be doing good things (ministering etc.) out of a sense of responsibility. I.e I’m sacrificing my time etc to do things I don’t really want to but I feel obligated to because it makes me a good Christian. Mmmmm.... I’ll be praying into this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

9 hours ago, Chi said:

I’ve read this before and I read t again tonight and it just spoke to me. I really want to know what it means? The part about “I desire mercy and not sacrifice”. I found it again in Hosea 6:6. 

Originally (in Hosea), it referred to the Israelites and their false ideas about God. They thought He was like the pagan gods who required bribing with lavish sacrifices but demanded little or nothing in the way of moral behaviour. But Yahweh is completely different: He wants our obedience more than our worship (I Samuel 15:22). Genuine repentance is expressed in actions rather than in words and rituals. 

This is one of the great principles of Scripture – and was one of Jesus’ favourite texts (Matthew 9:13; 12:7). His own attitude towards those on the fringes of respectable society was in stark contrast to the strict and unmerciful legalism of the Pharisees. Love and compassion can't be legislated into existence; they must grow out of a relationship with a loving and compassionate God. And they should be our highest priority.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

Chi, ask yourself this, 'am I doing these things I do out of a thankful heart?' or 'am I doing these things in order to earn God's favor?'. 

In all honesty. Sometimes things go wrong and I forget why I do things and it then becomes “to earn God’s favor” 

I love serving, I love helping people and counseling. I really love praying for people. The other stuff becomes a chore. 

Thank you for helping me with this. Please pray for me about this. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 4/17/2018 at 2:27 AM, Chi said:

@Yowm

@Your closest friendnt

Thank you for those lovely responses. 

I wonder if I haven’t been “attoning for my sins” by sacrificing and doing “the right thing”. I’ve been a little distracted and life has been busy, I think God is telling me that I shouldn’t be doing good things (ministering etc.) out of a sense of responsibility. I.e I’m sacrificing my time etc to do things I don’t really want to but I feel obligated to because it makes me a good Christian. Mmmmm.... I’ll be praying into this. 

Hi, Yes attitude seems key to me, for that refreshes the spirit. ( Corinthians 16:18 or there about )

But; all that is in the Lord's will for me has not necessarily been received at first by a happy spirit within me. Instead His will for me  has been followed often enough to be aware of it by either perceived necessity,  or resisted by  personal pride. Often enough only after submitting my pride has there been birth  of a great pleasure in the doing, giving, contributing, sharing. That starts out as chore becomes desirable pleasure for me, and I guess is part of a fuller sanctification.

Maybe that is so with others as well.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

On 4/17/2018 at 8:37 AM, Yowm said:

Chi, ask yourself this, 'am I doing these things I do out of a thankful heart?' or 'am I doing these things in order to earn God's favor?'. 

Yes (honestly)

Overwhelmingly thankful, trying to be obediently abiding/obedient to please, and, be in good favor/standing (earning?)