IGNORED

And God was sorry that he created man. Is that even possible?

omharris

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/30/1953

I was asked by a friend about the Book of Enoch that I was recently reading. I acquired it several months ago but have never taken the time to read the book. Having recently decided to pursue its contents, I find it requires my full concentration. Waiting for this friend to get out of his medical appointment, I had a few minutes to spare, and so I began rereading pages of the book I had already read. This time I had determined to make notes as I went because I wanted to build some word pictures in my head (it's how I learn best.) Waiting for some paperwork from the front desk, we still had a couple of minutes and so I started talking to him about what I had learned so far.

I mentioned that the Book of Enoch had been an integral part of the early Church, and had been read aloud among the body for 700 years. (Consider that the early church would have had little in the way of documentation aside from expensive, hand-copied scrolls of the Talmud and Tanach. So, if they were to have a copy of Enoch's rare and prophetic book, then, yes, someone would have read it aloud.) It is said that Early Church fathers, such as Clement, Barnabas, and Irenaeus referenced and quoted from the Book of Enoch. Th D. JR Church made this statement in the book he published, “Enoch, The First Book Ever Written.” The late JR Church did a running commentary on it as he explains and defines what Enoch said.

I have come to realize that verifiable evidence is not enough to convince some people of the necessity nor the authenticity of information that gives us more insight into Biblical events that are otherwise perpetually obscured. I am a strong believer that the answers are there, in scripture, and, if not they might be obtained through some other source, like the Book of Enoch.

Keep this in mind as you read.

• Jude, the author of his own book, quotes a prophecy from Enoch that is not in our Bibles and can only be found in the Book of Enoch.
  • The writer of Hebrews places Enoch in the hall of fame for his great faith, by which he walked off this earth and into God's arms, never to see death (Hebrews 11:5).
  • And we find the name of Enoch in Luke 3:37, where he is listed in the lineage of Jesus Christ.

I can't remember how we got there, but my friend said, then what do you do with Genesis 6:7 where God said, I am sorry that I made man?

Perhaps I had attempted to point out how the fallen angels had, as Jude tells us, cohabited with the daughters of men, with the express purpose of circumventing God's plan of redemption. How can I make that statement? You have to go back to the garden where God is addressing Eve about her actions. She is cursed, but there is some good news, as one from her seed will bring about the redemption of the world. (Okay, I did not use the exact wording, but you should get a general idea.)

Genesis 3:13-15 NASB Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?" And the woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate." 14) The LORD God said to the serpent, "Because you have done this, Cursed are you more than all cattle, And more than every beast of the field; On your belly you will go, And dust you will eat All the days of your life; 15) And I will put enmity Between you and the woman, And between your seed and her seed; He shall bruise you on the head, And you shall bruise him on the heel."

Satan's evil plan almost worked prior to the flood.

Consider what was happening at this time. God, seeing that the earth was FILLED with violence and that the thoughts of “men” were only evil. The fallen angels, by taking whomever they wanted among women, had filled the earth with hybrids. The International Standard Bible says it best.

Genesis 6:4 ISV The Nephilim were on the earth at that time (and also immediately afterward), when those divine beings were having sexual relations with those human women, who gave birth to children for them. These children became the heroes and legendary figures of ancient times.

These titans became the foundations of mythology.

Question, does the word all indeed mean all? No, because there was at that time a handful; specifically the close lineage that produced Noah. This family line was, as yet, untouched by the genetic corruption that these fallen angels were introducing.

So far I haven't focused on any passages that touch on the word all, but the question was asked, “didn't God say that he was sorry he created man on the earth?” Doesn't that phrase imply that God was offended by all, including Noah? There is nothing about this question or the verse, that paints a correct picture of God or His character. If He was disgusted with all, then why waste any time communing with Enoch. The disjointed logic we use when we focus on one verse out of context makes no sense and is incorrect. So let's rethink the generalized question, wasn't God sorry He created man.

Genesis 6:6-7 NASB The LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7) The LORD said, "I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky; for I am sorry that I have made them."

While it is true that the Bible translations range from sorry to regret, and grieved; but remember, God, put the man on earth so that He could share His life with and talk to the man.

[Right here is where the understanding that God was not caught off guard by Satan's/Lucifer's actions, and the plan of salvation – that is the securing of the creation, including God's finest creation, man, was initiated. All of our confusion and misunderstandings stem from how we perceive these first few moments of time. God knew full well what would happen and adapted to the perverted twists. The day will come when our relationship with the Father will once again be restored to the condition it was prior to Adam's fall in the garden.]

When you understand God's nature and character, the emotion of being sorry doesn't seem to accurately convey His heart toward men like Enoch, Methuselah or Noah, and they should be excluded from such a generalized statement. Therefore, it must mean something more specific.

To merely quote this verse is to ignore the context in which it is said.

The context begins in verse two, where fallen angels are taking human women, having intercourse with them, and filling the earth with their own version of hybrids. Not only that, but these hybrids are not just tall, they are massive, and they are violent hunters of humankind.

Genesis 6:2-5 CJB the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were attractive; and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose. 3) Adonai said, "My Spirit will not live in human beings forever, for they too are flesh; therefore their lifespan is to be 120 years." 4) The N'filim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward when the sons of God came into the daughters of men, and they bore children to them; these were the ancient heroes, men of renown. 5) Adonai saw that the people on earth were very wicked, that all the imaginings of their hearts were always of evil only.

The attention grabber in this paragraph above is verse 5, where it says, “Adonai saw that the people on earth were very wicked, that all the imaginings of their hearts were always of evil only.” Evidently, the Satanic scheme to hijack the redemption of the earth was so efficient that it had reduced the unpolluted lineage from Adam to the close relatives of Noah.

Now, if the earth had been infiltrated to the point there were only a handful of undamaged humans left, wouldn't God be justifiably disgusted to the point where he was not only willing but needed to remove this malignancy from the earth?

Genesis 6:6-7 NASB The LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7) The LORD said, "I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky; for I am sorry that I have made them."

Sorry, the word used in the NASB is the Hebrew word nâcham and means to sigh that is, breathe strongly; by implication to be sorry.

For me, an implication is not a translation, nor is it definitive. It is, however, something that may explain or add clarity. The words sigh and breathe strongly are words that I can understand, as I do it frequently. I sigh when I am angry, frustrated, and have enough. In this case, God had enough.

The phrase “he had made,” is the Hebrew word āśāh: A verb meaning to do, to make, to accomplish, to complete. This frequently used Hebrew verb conveys the central notion of performing an activity with a distinct purpose, a moral obligation, or a goal in view (cf. Gen_11:6).

I could just as comfortably read Genesis 6:6 as The Lord was extremely frustrated that His good intentions had come to this.

Isaiah tells the reader that the earth was habitable in the day that it was formed, and yet, something transpired because there was most certainly some imperfection taking place.

Isaiah 45:18 NASB For thus says the LORD, who created the heavens (He is the God who formed the earth and made it, He established it and did not create it a waste place, but formed it to be inhabited), "I am the LORD, and there is none else.

Likewise, man was perfect on the day he was made as well.

Genesis 1:27-31 NASB God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28) God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth." 29) Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you; 30) and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to everything that moves on the earth which has life, I have given every green plant for food"; and it was so. 31) God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

What is there about this paragraph above for God to be disgusted with? Nothing.

How about here in Genesis 2:7-9?

Genesis 2:7-9 NASB Then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and man became a living being. 8) The LORD God planted a garden toward the east, in Eden; and there He placed the man whom He had formed. 9) Out of the ground the LORD God caused to grow every tree that is pleasing to the sight and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Still good. But things are about to change. I am cutting it short for space sake.

Genesis 3:7-10 NASB Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked, and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loin coverings. 8) They heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden. 9) Then the LORD God called to the man, and said to him, "Where are you?" 10) He said, "I heard the sound of You in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid myself."

Eve was deceived, but Adam was wide awake and chose to trash his relationship with God. The passage also demonstrates an event that may have happened on a daily basis, God communing with the man and his wife. The tragedy here is that the connectedness and ease of communication with God were now broken.

I pointed out earlier, how in talking with the serpent, God said, “I will put enmity Between you and the woman, and between your seed and her seed; He shall bruise you on the head, And you shall bruise him on the heel.

Not too long after this, is when Satan's plan to stop this seed, gets put into action.

Ask yourself a question. Through intercourse and a maintained level of violence, how long would it take you to redirect the global order of things?

Now, consider the added benefit these hybrids had in their completion of Satan's ugly plan.

Can you now see why the history of man on earth, has been riddled with holocausts?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Days Won:  5

Just a couple of thoughts to throw in the pot that might be worth keeping in mind....one is that Adam was of the earth, earthy....not spiritual like the second Adam.....and only pronounced "good" and "very good" by God........not perfect.  Perfect has to do with being spiritual, being born of the spirit and being matured in the spirit.  Adam and Eve had not partaken of the Tree of Life.  Also, I believe that where God says He repented of having made man......I don't think it can mean quite in the same sense that we humans would be sorry for something.....because God in His foreknowledge (knowing the end from the beginning) would have foreseen everything that was going to happen, and yet He created man anyhow.....and we know that He doesn't make mistakes.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, Heleadethme said:

Just a couple of thoughts to throw in the pot that might be worth keeping in mind....one is that Adam was of the earth, earthy....not spiritual like the second Adam.....and only pronounced "good" and "very good" by God........not perfect.  Perfect has to do with being spiritual, being born of the spirit and being matured in the spirit.  Adam and Eve had not partaken of the Tree of Life.  Also, I believe that where God says He repented of having made man......I don't think it can mean quite in the same sense that we humans would be sorry for something.....because God in His foreknowledge (knowing the end from the beginning) would have foreseen everything that was going to happen, and yet He created man anyhow.....and we know that He doesn't make mistakes.

First off, let me say I appreciate you taking the time to read this post. 

As the 90-year-old leader of the men's study, who is often spoken of as the expert on end times, would say, I disagree with some aspects of your assessment, and here is why. 

• "Adam was of the earth, "

So, we have the account in Genesis 1 to begin our saga. 

Genesis 1:26-31 NASB Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth." 27) God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28) God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth." 29) Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you; 30) and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to everything that moves on the earth which has life, I have given every green plant for food"; and it was so. 31) God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

In verse 27 we have this: "God created man in His own image." Since God is a spirit, then the man was a spirit. I see no way of getting around this. I might even say, this is a chronology and be correct in my declaration. 

• "earthy"

My assumption is that the earth, in your perception, makes this God creation now dirty. I might even think that the association with earth was meant to demonstrate how the "sin" then became a part of who Adam was. When what we see is that God merely saw fit to put a body on this spiritual creation He had made. That body, when teamed together with its female counterpart, was an expression of God's magnificent glory, far surpassing anything I have witnessed on this earth. And, there was nothing about them that said this is only God's second best. Man, both male, and female walked this earth taking dominion over the creation, and, it was GOOD.

"not spiritual"

It was Jesus who said,  "God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth." John 4:24 NASB. I personally feel that anything created in the direct and exacting image of the Father would, therefore, be spirit. 

If, there was one thing distinguished between God and the man was that the man, it appears, had NO knowledge of evil. There were no constraints or evil intentions in the man. Isaiah 14 describes Lucifer, who without the aid of a tree of knowledge saw fit to try to rise against God. 

Without evil driving the man, created in the exacting image of the Father, can you imagine what Adam must have been like? Everything that God is, was a description of who Adam was. So for me, the possibility of Adam being anything less than spiritual does not and cannot work for me.

• "not spiritual like the second Adam"

Since most of us are believers who have followed Jesus for years now, and, avidly read His word, we immediately understand that the second Adam you speak of is Jesus Christ, the once dead but now risen Messiah, that is only moments away from gathering those who look for Him. 

Since God brought Jesus into the earth, with a specific purpose of bringing about the forgiveness and redemption of humankind, then was Jesus born into this earthy/fleshly environment? Yes, and No. Yes, the body, like Adam's, was flesh, earthly. That means it was subject to colds, cuts, and death, just like every other human. But, because God circumvented ancestral lineage and chose to artificially inseminate an egg into Mary, He bypassed the sin that seems to be passed along through DNA. 

So, in trying to define who or what Jesus was at birth, there will be nothing but argument. Some, suggest that He glowed from birth merely because of God being His Father. While that would be a fascinating and fun concept, it sort of takes away from the idea, that Jesus had to be like us in order to pay the price for redemption. 

Hebrews 2:17-18 NASB Therefore, He had to be made like His brethren in all things, so that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. 18) For since He Himself was tempted in that which He has suffered, He is able to come to the aid of those who are tempted.

Hebrews 4:15-16 NASB For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. 16) Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

Now Adam was made sin free, however, he, like Jesus who too was born of flesh, had the choice to exert his own will. Adam did just that; Jesus did not, and He told us so. I suppose my point here is, Jesus was spiritual because of His parentage (not so dissimilar from Adam,) and He chose not to fall before Satan and worship him.

• "and only pronounced "good" and "very good" by God........not perfect"

Genesis 1:31 NASB God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

At this point, man, both male and female, have been created in God's image. No bodies have been given them, potentially diminishing the man. So, what we have is a mirror image of the Father. Is God anything less than perfect? The answer is NO. Therefore, the proclamation we see in Genesis 1:31 has no indication of a proclamation as though something needed to be restored. 
God is nothing less than perfect; many would argue that point as they struggle through life.  Would I dare make such a statement about humans? Not a chance, although, we are fortunate that God sees us through the eyes of grace and Jesus blood, the one man who was perfect.

• "Perfect has to do with being spiritual, being born of the spirit and being matured in the spirit."

I need you to know that saw and understood that you answered, to some degree, your question. If I apply your statement to the life of Jesus, is it true? And, I would have to say yes. He certainly accomplished every aspect, as He was born of the spirit, an acknowledgment we were shown when the Holy Spirit descended upon Him like a dove and the Father spoke from the heavens saying, this is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased. And, Jesus matured. We saw a piece of that maturity played out at age 12 as he discussed the Law with the elders. 

Occasionally, we humans come close to maturity; while others make good posers. Truth is, we will never reach perfection while here on earth. The only one that came close is Enoch, and he left us to join the Father, bypassing death. Hmmm. 

I am going to end this as I have addressed the concepts I struggled with in your response. Please don't take these things personally, they are not. As I attend church, bible studies, church camps, and simple conversations at places like McDonald's, people express ideas that are heavily infused with tradition and misguided teaching. We cannot let those things guide our journey into and through the Word of God as they do not always convey or represent the character and nature of God appropriately.  I will give you an example: At a recent church camp, my pastor, in explaining for the umpteenth time, the communion. Verbalized a word picture in which He said, Jesus, in expressing His emotion at the last communion and in the garden, did not want to die for you. He was looking for a way out.  I was nothing short of shocked to hear those words come out of my pastor's mouth. Is this statement, Jesus did not want to die for me, true? Not even remotely. Do I think my pastor merely miscommunicated? Perhaps, and perhaps I am called to show him grace, as I am capable of stumbling with and over words. But there comes a point at which, as watchmen upon the wall, we have to blow the trumpet and hopefully awaken people to the truth that is there before us in God's Word.

I long to see the body of Christ rightly dividing the Word of Truth.

• Followers:  15
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, omharris said:

In verse 27 we have this: "God created man in His own image." Since God is a spirit, then the man was a spirit. I see no way of getting around this. I might even say, this is a chronology and be correct in my declaration. 

Adam was created from the dust of the earth and this was before the fall.........but he was given a spirit when God breathed in his nostrils, and he became a living soul.

Anyhow, the following scriptures should be helpful with the point I was making:

1Co 15:44-49

It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.

As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.

And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

1Co 2:14-15

But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one.

1Co 3:1

And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ.

Gal 6:1

Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted.

Luk 13:32

And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third day I shall be perfected.

Jhn 17:23

I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Gal 3:3

Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

Heb 5:8-9

Alhough he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;

And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Edited by Heleadethme
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

while it is true that apostles in the Bible quoted the book of enoch, i am fairly certain the book that they quoted and the current book that contains enochs name are not the same manuscript. the book of enoch that many quote from today, is nothing more then heresy. 100% pure, and unadultered heresy, and one would be wise to avoid taking doctrine from that book.

• 2 weeks later...

5 hours ago, Yowm said:

The book of Enoch was written in Greek, not in Hebrew. The real Enoch would not have known Greek. If it was viewed as Scripture, it would have been canonized in the Hebrew Scriptures. 

Sadly, I did not go into great detail about the origins of The Book of Enoch. I honestly do not think it would have mattered to you, as you are obviously the expert. 

Allow me to tell you now, what I had come to understand. "The Book of Enoch was originally written in ancient Hebrew, fragments of which were discovered among the Dead Sea Scrolls." These were found among hundreds of Jewish writings preserved in the Jerusalem Temple's library. They were not considered for inclusion among the biblical books.

But, as ThD JR Church noted, "that does not diminish their historical value." Dr. Church continues by saying that "many of the early writing were lost during the Jewish wars against Roman rule. Afterward, there were very few groups concerned with copying, publishing and preserving the Jewish library. Eventually, many of the books, including Enoch, faded from the scene. ...for centuries, The Book of Enoch was lost - only to be rediscovered in eighteenth-century communities of Jews and Christians in Abyssinia, a region of Ethiopia. In 1773m the famous English traveler James Bruce obtained three copies of the book and brought them to Europe. As soon as these Ethiopian manuscripts arrived, translators began to produce copies in various European languages, including English. An ancient Greek manuscript also surfaced, corroborating the accuracy and authenticity of the Coptic language editions. [If you are interested, all this information can be found in ThD JR Church's Book, Enoch: The First Book Ever Written. I have taken excerpts from pages 17 and 18.

I have been a follower of Christ for over 50 years and I have seen everything, including Pharisees in action. Do me a favor and ignore me, as I will you from this point on. I say this with all the love you have extended to me brother.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

11 hours ago, omharris said:

Sadly, I did not go into great detail about the origins of The Book of Enoch. I honestly do not think it would have mattered to you, as you are obviously the expert. 

Allow me to tell you now, what I had come to understand. "The Book of Enoch was originally written in ancient Hebrew, fragments of which were discovered among the Dead Sea Scrolls." These were found among hundreds of Jewish writings preserved in the Jerusalem Temple's library. They were not considered for inclusion among the biblical books.

But, as ThD JR Church noted, "that does not diminish their historical value." Dr. Church continues by saying that "many of the early writing were lost during the Jewish wars against Roman rule. Afterward, there were very few groups concerned with copying, publishing and preserving the Jewish library. Eventually, many of the books, including Enoch, faded from the scene. ...for centuries, The Book of Enoch was lost - only to be rediscovered in eighteenth-century communities of Jews and Christians in Abyssinia, a region of Ethiopia. In 1773m the famous English traveler James Bruce obtained three copies of the book and brought them to Europe. As soon as these Ethiopian manuscripts arrived, translators began to produce copies in various European languages, including English. An ancient Greek manuscript also surfaced, corroborating the accuracy and authenticity of the Coptic language editions. [If you are interested, all this information can be found in ThD JR Church's Book, Enoch: The First Book Ever Written. I have taken excerpts from pages 17 and 18.

I have been a follower of Christ for over 50 years and I have seen everything, including Pharisees in action. Do me a favor and ignore me, as I will you from this point on. I say this with all the love you have extended to me brother.

I fail to see the logic, or Christlike love in your comment...someone posts evidence contrary to your beliefs you lash out and ignore them?

Especially since neither of you are accurate...the book of enoch was not written in greek or hebrew but rather ge'ez with fragments found in greek and aramaic. In fact, while they found fragments (not the entire book) in the dead sea scrolls, they were in aramaic, not hebrew. Their were also many other non canonical books found in the dead sea scrolls, so that is not proof of its authenticity.

While scholars believe it may have originated in Hebrew their is no proof of this as no hebrew texts have ever been found, and based upon the faulty assumption that jude was quoting from that book.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:42 PM, omharris said:

In verse 27 we have this: "God created man in His own image." Since God is a spirit, then the man was a spirit. I see no way of getting around this.

I don't see it that way at all. When I built models of WWII aircraft, they were in the image of the original war birds, but had few of the actual attributes, such as the ability to fly.

All I'm really saying is that the idea that God is spirit, therefore man was made with a spirit from the git-go is not implied by the text but, rather, is an inference made by many readers.

I see Jesus as a man that also sometimes contained the spirit of God, but sometimes did not ("My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?")