Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,269
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Just wondering how the homeless situation is in your area.   Was watching Dr. Ben Carson and he said homelessness has increased 75% in Los Angeles the past five years!!!   I know many homeless come to L.A. because of the milder weather, and also our rents are extremely high so that adds to the problem.  Also some people might get huge medical bills and end up homeless.

I see more people living in tents here the past couple of years than I've ever seen before.  The mayor is working to help them but just not enough places to shelter people.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  301
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/11/1979

Sorry for such a vague answer but it is mixed with assylum que.

The only way I could find out was to see for myself.

Our local authority doesn't give honesty in this area as it makes them look like the people they are. To rely on their figures is to keep yourself ignorant of how serious a problem it is. Relying on knowledge of where they are at any given time is not on their expenditure list.

Edited by Dan_79

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  131
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

I always figured that was part of why the rent is so high there. Not only the "prestige" of living in LA, but because so much tax goes towards the homeless. You'd think they would realize that taking the price that high only adds to the problem, especially when the places don't get bought and they aren't getting the money that they're looking for. Less money is better than no money, as they say.

I live in what I would call a moderately sized town but what most others would call a small town. I don't call it small because i've been in much smaller towns, towns with slightly over 70 people to just slightly over 500 people. Tack a couple thousand onto the latter and you've got a "moderate" town here in the midwest. 

We really only get the rare homeless person wandering through town every great while. Like, i've only ever seen 2 or 3. However, there's also a larger city nearby that's been growing much lately. Not only has crime spiked up in that town, but near as i've heard, there are more homeless as well. I grow worried because it's only a matter of time before that nonsense spreads to this somewhat quiet and peaceful town. If towns keep growing, where is a small town guy like myself supposed to live? Even the town with a population of 70 won't be safe, given time.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  301
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  07/11/1979

1 hour ago, Not me said:

I use to work at a food bank handing out food. It’s sad, but 80-90% of the people that came in enjoyed living like they were. They’ed go from food bank to food bank stocking up on whatever they could get. Sell/trade  want they could, mostly for drugs and alcohol. Kept what they wanted. Had no desire to change or improve that state. That was the sad part, was a real eye opener. The 10% or so that wanted to get out of their situation, I felt compassion for. The rest, they were just looking for a way to take advantage. They’ed talk a good game but it was  just talk. It was just so you’d let your guard down and give them more. Every once in awhile you’d meet someone had a good heart, that were honestly trying to do the right thing. They would most definitely make your day. 

Much love in Christ, Not me

I visited a church that houses a foodbank on its premises. These people helped a great few families.

What I didn't understand was why this one individual church had all of this vacant land around it, land that was arrable that could be used to grow food coming direct from God to the hungry?

I attended so I could ask why they were the only thing in the way of that land being used and that having a foodbank on their premises was a direct show of human need in that area and guess what I got fobbed off, but not after my idea was praised as worthy (?) 

The fig tree?

That land I calculated could feed multiple families who are landless, could be used to educate both young and old, become a place to go and meet likeminded people etc

That land is growing grass with not even animals on it.

It is very sad ?

I guess tins trump fresh in their eyes and the supermarkets (who keep 90% of the church alive) always got payment for the foodstuffs first.

(the church got the local praise, the supermarket got some profit and the government took its cut in taxes....all the main parties were kept happy first and foremost).

I could never understand how such a wasteful enterprise could have the nerve to put the foodbank donation boxes on that side of the tills.

Edited by Dan_79

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

I'm from a small town. Everyone knows everyone else or your family. The only homeless guy that I know of was living that way out of choice. As he was a seasonal worker on the farm here. He was living in a tent to save up money for a trip to Europe. I think he had a house back in the city where he was from. So I would not really consider him homeless I guess. Being a small town if one becomes homeless they generally move in with family.  I'm not saying there are no homeless here. I am sure that there could be. It could be hidden. I do not know.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.81

For so many  it is  way of life. Jesus said care for the widows and the orphans. I once had to stay a whole weekend at a homeless shelter. Ask yourself where Jesus is out side our comfortable church walls. It was interesting how I ended up at this shelter sleeping and eating with the homeless and the hungry at a salvation army. I sept with them and ate with them. 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,411
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

With the advent of AI [artificial intelligence] more and more jobs are being lost and its full effect is now beginning to be seen.   Low wage entry job use to be for students and part time workers, but more and more are working full time to keep a roof over their heads. In big cities, rent control is being remove and the term "market value" is being used to allow landlords to increase their apartment rents.  Food prices are on the rise more than ever and the rung of the ladder is being harder to climb.   It is also very easy for drug users to waste their money and resources and end up on the street due to addiction.  Some even sell their fortunes to support a habit that can spiral out of control easily. Plus, dropouts kinda like that lifestyle as they want the ultimate freedom from house rules.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

1 hour ago, Dan_79 said:

I visited a church that houses a food bank on its premises. These people helped a great few families.

What I didn't understand was why this one individual church had all of this vacant land around it, land that was arable that could be used to grow food coming direct from God to the hungry?

I attended so I could ask why they were the only thing in the way of that land being used and that having a food bank on their premises was a direct show of human need in that area and guess what I got fobbed off, but not after my idea was praised as worthy (?) 

The fig tree?

That land I calculated could feed multiple families who are landless, could be used to educate both young and old, become a place to go and meet like minded people etc

That land is growing grass with not even animals on it.

It is very sad ?

It sounds like the Lord has laid this on your heart, Dan. If He has, and you respond, can anything stop you, and your vision of helping?

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

44 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Homeless or houseless?

There are many that live in houses that are still homeless.

You better believe it .    This world is not my home , no matter where I dwell.     Reminds me of an old song ,  this world is not my home im  just a passing through