• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  301
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/11/1979

More than 250,000 are homeless in England - Say's Shelter. More than a quarter of a million people are homeless in England, an analysis of the latest official figures suggests. Researchers from charity Shelter used data from four sets of official 2016 statistics to compile what it describes as a "conservative" total.1 Dec 2016 (bbc).....

That was 2016.....

One in every 200 people in UK are homeless, according to Shelter

Charity used official government and FoI data to estimate 307,000 people sleeping rough or living in inadequate housing

That is alot of land and projects needed 50 thousand people a year increase in just one year!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-expanding-support-to-beat-homelessness

Polly Neate, chief executive of Shelter, said: “It’s shocking to think that today, more than 300,000 people in Britain are waking up homeless. Some will have spent the night shivering on a cold pavement, others crammed into a dingy hostel room with their children. And what is worse, many are simply unaccounted for.

“On a daily basis, we speak to hundreds of people and families who are desperately trying to escape the devastating trap of homelessness. A trap that is tightening thanks to decades of failure to build enough affordable homes and the impact of welfare cuts.”

Edited by Dan_79

Can I ask...

What are the primary causes of homelessness?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 5/1/2018 at 7:02 AM, Debp said:

Just wondering how the homeless situation is in your area.   Was watching Dr. Ben Carson and he said homelessness has increased 75% in Los Angeles the past five years!!!   I know many homeless come to L.A. because of the milder weather, and also our rents are extremely high so that adds to the problem.  Also some people might get huge medical bills and end up homeless.

I see more people living in tents here the past couple of years than I've ever seen before.  The mayor is working to help them but just not enough places to shelter people.

My area? Well "my area"  has stretched from South Central Los Angeles to St. Petersburg Fl. and into the bad woodlands of Hernando County Fl. each one is very different from the other, but there is a large segment that is just living homeless the way they want, homeless. They are not help-able, they live the system as they manipulate it. They do not want help, they want what they can get, but not help.

NONE THE LESS there are  many that  are just beat down to the point of trying to fit in with those that do not care, and they can be helped and should be by  individuals of good cheer and some compassion.

At Los Angeles near the Santa Anita track and the forum are populations that do live in shifts at flats as many as 17 to a flat. They are the illegals, they do want to get somewhere do something work, and often want to work to send money home to other lands to build for the future back home. There are the professional seekers of freebe's the welfareites, but mostly they are not homeless, they live finely in the neighborhoods milking the systems of more dollars per month than most of us that work can make.

The real temporary homeless are the newly unemployed that are bewildered as to what happened to them. They are really lost in shock and need help! Often they need to park pride too. They need to rebuild their whole model of what  prosperity is what is really need and what is desire.

There are lots and lots of all the "types" in "my area".

I have experienced being around the mentally disabled that are now having the freeloaders forced onto their roles and into their group housing. I have been around the illegals and their living situations, and I have  been around those that live under the bridges under the piers and in the woods that do not care to change a thing. Plus I have to live by those that bleed the governments and my taxes  by milking the system  as they live beside me, cops raiding their residence often as they drive their new cars and rip off everything they can .

So what is the question? Are there homeless?  Are there more of them? Are there more that are in need ? Are there more that simply live live as horrible people leaching rather than working?   I think the answer is yes to all.

• Thanks 1

This is an absolutely booming economy.  Jobs are easy to come by minimum wages are more and more reaching $15 an hour by demand not by decrees of government. Real wages are going  up. Self employment is easier than ever for those willing to really work very hard. Good work is available for those with skills and for those that have the skill to learn.

Many however have bought into the idea that all is woe and they just seek misery as their company. For many  a false sense of pride must be discarded, and a bold embracing of work begun.

In my  "old age" I learned to clean toilets for an amazingly large sum of money per year. That is not all I did, but as my Lord led me I did find I needed to rebuild restrooms and then had to keep them up doing the cleaning of them too. Why? Because it is nearly impossible to get anyone to do work they think does not meet their high minded ideal  of what work should be for them. If it does not fit their "career path" they would rather sit at home and play computer games and visit Christian Message Forums all day and half the night long day after day after day. Why learning to be an knowledgeable janitor is not an impossible skill to learn, and it is a skill that  pays pretty darn well, a whole lot more than any retail worker gets or any fast food worker earns.

There is such a need for workers, but few workers for the "harvests". That  is more than a Biblical admonition, it is reality,, perhaps in all areas of life today.

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

A Paycheck With Join the Fight Against Homelessness

Homeless service providers throughout Los Angeles County are looking for qualified, motivated individuals to join the vital field of homeless services. It’s a meaningful way to contribute to the movement to combat and prevent homelessness across the County—and the “Help Wanted” sign is out.

Through the Los Angeles County Homeless Initiative and Measure H funds, these new employment opportunities will enable us to significantly ramp up service to those in need. Jobs range from front-line outreach workers and housing navigators to managers and executives.

Jobs are available all over Los Angeles County and are categorized by region. Click on a link below to explore job opportunities in your community, and share this link: JobsCombattingHomelessness.org. Check back frequently for updates.

I took in 2 homeless people over one winter. One was in and out of a hostal and the other I knew via a friend of a friend and was sleeping on everyones sofas everyone taking turns to help him, he eventually outstayed his welcome or circumstances almost always came to a head where he was either thrown out or the person who's house he was staying asked someone to kick him out.

I managed to get one of them evicted from my own home (he turned on me and I learned he had a history of violence in his family) the other I was able to encourage to turn his life completely around, I found him work, found his own place (he got his own front door key) he managed to get his driving done and the best thing was it enabled him to get back in touch with his mother who he could show her he was trying to change and he was both grateful and we stayed friends for about a year....

I assesed the situation as a good time to help myself as the whole experience did leave me exhausted both mentally and physically due to absorbing all the financial responsibility etc

About four yours later I bumped into him, he had a long beard and greasy hair tied in a pony tail, he was gaunt in the face and quite obviously homeless again.

That broke my heart that did.

I spoke to him and he said he was ok and still had his place (I knew he had lost his home).

The only thing that I could deduce was he was lonely all the time, he had some pretty bad life experiences that left him vulnerable, he was lonely when I met him and I remember warning him about the company he kept was part of the cause of his decline in prosperity and he was unable to shrug the worst of it off I reckon, his loneliness was other peoples path to exploiting him. I learned from some people I worked with in homeless circles (mainly the local soup kitchen) that others had learned of his place and used it for themselves.

Very sad. Lesson learned is you can help people if you have the time and will to do so but without maintaining it and being able to see it through for an extended time then the possibility does exist for these folk to sink back into old habits or get sucked into other peoples circle of friendships that lack guidance.

Not sure I could go through all that again but it taught me prevention is the key, these people I met through working with the homeless all had life changing experiences and probably no one to help them at that point in their lives.

No parent would want their child to end up homeless but some still do. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

17 hours ago, Davida said:

The increase of refugees in the UK could be do to the influx of refugees that the UK gov is taking in , overwhelming the system and the displacement some of the population & poorly managed creates a systemic overload. 

The government has agreed to accept unlimited refugees. Kind as it is, the flip side is the government have accepted full financial responsibility for their future and the unemployment situation and social schemes just cannot keep up with it as homelessness was never dealt with prior to the wars that creates the need for people to move to safety.

The competition for housing that was already a fight for the homeless is now expanded and as resources automatically have a greater demand put upom them, so does the availability and thus the prices for them become raised.

Cause and effect will automatically dictate the outcome as a further reliance on the government, initially to redistribute the wealth or resources over a perpetually growing population. Tax.

It can only cause more homelessness if the homeless already without, have to compete with more people of the same economic status, who continue to arrive.

Or the lowest wage realize their ability to pay for the rising cost of living makes it un economical to work at all ( some argue it invites incentives from other economic areas including money derived from criminal activity if there are no jobs).

It does help the construction industry as the need for housing increases but land will dwindle and prices automatically will go up as land becomes scarce thus creating very opposite of what is being called "affordable" housing. Policing will be in greater demand as desperation to meet living expenses as pitted survival against morals appears as the axis of existential thought.

29 minutes ago, Dan_79 said:

The government has agreed to accept unlimited refugees. Kind as it is, the flip side is the government have accepted full financial responsibility for their future and the unemployment situation and social schemes just cannot keep up with it as homelessness was never dealt with prior to the wars that creates the need for people to move to safety.

The competition for housing that was already a fight for the homeless is now expanded and as resources automatically have a greater demand put upom them, so does the availability and thus the prices for them become raised.

Cause and effect will automatically dictate the outcome as a further reliance on the government, initially to redistribute the wealth or resources over a perpetually growing population. Tax.

It can only cause more homelessness if the homeless already without, have to compete with more people of the same economic status, who continue to arrive.

Or the lowest wage realize their ability to pay for the rising cost of living makes it un economical to work at all ( some argue it invites incentives from other economic areas including money derived from criminal activity if there are no jobs).

It does help the construction industry as the need for housing increases but land will dwindle and prices automatically will go up as land becomes scarce thus creating very opposite of what is being called "affordable" housing. Policing will be in greater demand as desperation to meet living expenses as pitted survival against morals appears as the axis of existential thought.

Knowing almost nothing of England, but being amazed at the presentation of regulations over construction at London, I can imagine how it might be near impossible to build that which would end up being affordable to most workers. (I think I am the only member of my family not to visit England.)

• Thumbs Up 1