IGNORED

Tongues

Tyler22

Guest AgedLace
1 hour ago, PepperS said:

1. Paul is using the work IF and illustrating the importance of Love. Love is the point of this verse, Paul is not saying he speaks in tongues of angels.

2. If an American missionary is preaching in the Phillippines to a group who does not speak English. The missionary will need an interpreter.

You are right ... he uses the word "if" to illustrate the importance of love ... however, Paul clearly says that not only does he speak in tongues, but he does so more than the Corinthians whom he was speaking to ...

[1Co 14:18 NASB]
I thank God, I speak in tongues more than you all;

You are absolutely right, an American missionary presaching in the Philippines to a group of people who do not speak English would indeed need an interpreter.  I have heard of people who were given the exact "tongue" needed in order to minister to people who did not speak the speaker's language.  But this is not the only type of situation where God's gift of tongues through His Holy Spirit is given - as the Scriptures I previously shared clearly show.  

Guest AgedLace
14 minutes ago, PepperS said:

Yes, Paul knew more languages than his audience.

Paul was Roman citizen and had traveled more. He was born in Tarsus which is in modern day Turkey. Paul got around and I suppose that is how he learned so many tongues/languages.

I totally agree with you that Paul was very well learned and very likely knew many languages.  

However, you are missing one crucial point here.  The "tongues" Paul is talking about is a specific GIFT of the Holy Spirit ... it is not something someone can 'learn'.  If Paul was speaking to people of other nations in a language he already knew and had in common with those whom he was speaking to then there was no need for the Holy Spirit to grant him this Gift.  

Also - in one of the examples I shared above in Acts chapter 10 - Peter was sent by God to speak to Cornelius and his family.  It is clear from the context of this passage that Peter was able to communicate with Cornelius and his family in a language they all knew and understood.  

[Act 10:44 NASB]
While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who were listening to the message.

[Act 10:45 NASB]
All the circumcised believers who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also.

[Act 10:46 NASB]
For they were hearing them speaking with tongues and exalting God. Then Peter answered,

How could Peter and the circumcised believers recognize that the Holy Spirit had been poured out upon these Gentiles unless they were speaking in languages that they did not know, or had not learned?  

Also, if "tongues" is only speaking a language of men that one has not learned, then what of the Scriptures that say that when one speaks in a tongue he is not speaking to others, but to God ... God already knows all human languages, and therefore once again there would be no need for this GIFT of the Holy Spirit.  

Edited by AgedLace

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.73
  • Days Won:  1

I do not believe that speaking in tongues is the proof of the presence of the Holy Spirit and Christian born again people who do not speak in tongues are not really saved and blessed by God.

I'm getting the thought that there is more than one type of 'tongues' in the Bible

but none of them are essential for salvation.

Guest AgedLace
20 minutes ago, leah777 said:

I'm getting the thought that there is more than one type of 'tongues' in the Bible

but none of them are essential for salvation.

You are absolutely correct on both points.

1 minute ago, PepperS said:

Please be careful not to place stumbling blocks in front of others that need not be there.

not sure who you are addressing? or what stumbling blocks you mean?

Guest AgedLace
45 minutes ago, leah777 said:

I do not believe that speaking in tongues is the proof of the presence of the Holy Spirit and Christian born again people who do not speak in tongues are not really saved and blessed by God.

Nor do I.  There is nothing in Scripture to suggest such a thing, and I never intended for that impression to be made.  

Salvation is belief and acceptance of Jesus' death in our place [redemption], and His resurrection which imputes His righteousness to us.

Before He was taken up into heaven to sit at the right hand of God, Jesus told the disciples to wait in Jerusalem until they had been clothed with power from on high ...

[Luk 24:49 NASB]
"And behold, I am sending forth the promise of My Father upon you; but you are to stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high."

One of the ministries of the promised Holy Spirit was to empower His believers to be able to do what He did and more.  Just compare the lives of the disciples lives both before and after they received the outpouring of His Holy Spirit.  The diference is very striking.

CORRECTION - I misread your first comment [I have eye issues, and only have sight in one eye.]  The Bible - particularly the book of Acts says several times that the the outpouring of the Holy Spirit was accompanyed by speaking in tongues, prophesying and praising God.

Edited by AgedLace

Guest AgedLace
2 minutes ago, PepperS said:

Please be careful not to place stumbling blocks in front of others that need not be there.

I agree with @leah777 ... it is not clear who you are talking to and what stumbling blocks you think are being put in front of people.  

Guest AgedLace
46 minutes ago, PepperS said:

Scripture makes it clear that on the day of Pentecost, each person heard in their own Language/tongue.

Acts 2 6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?

13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:

15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.

16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

@PepperS

I have already agreed with you that this is ONE of the uses of the GIFT of God's Holy Spirit.  The issue is there are multiple use cases for the speaking in tongues ... Paul would never had said "tongues of men and angels" if he didn't mean what he said.  

11 minutes ago, AgedLace said:

CORRECTION - I misread your first comment [I have eye issues, and only have sight in one eye.]  The Bible - particularly the book of Acts says several times that the the outpouring of the Holy Spirit was accompanyed by speaking in tongues, prophesying and praising God.

so you DO say that people have to speak in tongues or they havent got the Holy Spirit baptism.

why do you beleive that?