IGNORED

Tongues

Tyler22

Guest AgedLace
31 minutes ago, PepperS said:

I can only find one kind. The kind that is used to spread the gospel to others.

Christ commanded us to spread the gospel. Being able to speak various languages, or have an interpreter who can do so is invaluable.

Tongues is not to edify/benefit ourselves. It is to benefit others.

Yet the Bible also says ... 

[1Co 14:2 NASB] 2 For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in [his] spirit he speaks mysteries.

and 

[1Co 14:4 NASB] 4 One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church.

Guest AgedLace
6 minutes ago, PepperS said:

I was speaking in general, which is why I quoted no one.

By not placing a stumbling bock in front of others, I was warning against making people feel they need to speak in tongues. I have met people who have been negatively affected by this.

stumbling block 

an obstacle, hindrance, or difficulty standing in the way of progressor understanding

You have made an accusation that who believe someone is putting stumbling blocks in front of people unnecessarily.  Yet you failed to identify what those stumbling blocks are.

Guest AgedLace
7 minutes ago, PepperS said:

I was speaking in general, which is why I quoted no one.

By not placing a stumbling bock in front of others, I was warning against making people feel they need to speak in tongues. I have met people who have been negatively affected by this.

stumbling block 

an obstacle, hindrance, or difficulty standing in the way of progressor understanding

If I have made *anyone* feel they *need* to speak in tongues, then I profusely apologize.  This is *not* my belief, nor my intent, as I stated in my response to @Leah777 above.

I am merely having a discussion of what the Bible says about the matter.

Guest AgedLace
6 minutes ago, PepperS said:

In scripture, when angels spoke, they used the language of the people they were speaking to, not a separate angelic language.

I would clarify this by saying that when God sends angels to speak to humanity they do, in fact speak in the person's natural language.  It does not necessarily correlate that angels do not have a language of their own.

Guest AgedLace
8 minutes ago, leah777 said:

so you DO say that people have to speak in tongues or they havent got the Holy Spirit baptism.

why do you beleive that?

Speaking in tongues / Baptism of the Holy Spirit is NOT a salvation requirement.

It *is* my belief [and only my belief!], solely based upon all the references in the Book of Acts several of which I have quoted already, is accompanied by speaking in tongues - exactly as it described in the book of Acts.  

@Leah777 - PLEASE, do *not* take my word for it.  Or anyone else's word either.  Rather, prayerfully read the Book of Acts and ask the Holy Spirit [who is your Teacher] to show you what HE meant when He had these Scriptures recorded.  NO ONE can reveal His Truth to you but the Holy Spirit of God as you prayerfully read His Word and ask Him to reveal what He meant when He had the Bible recorded through His servants.  His promise to us in James 1:5 is that if *any* of us lacks wisdom, let him ask of God who gives liberally and without reproach.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.72
  • Days Won:  1

too, too confusing.

15 minutes ago, AgedLace said:

Speaking in tongues / Baptism of the Holy Spirit is NOT a salvation requirement.

It *is* my belief [and only my belief!], solely based upon all the references in the Book of Acts several of which I have quoted already, is accompanied by speaking in tongues - exactly as it described in the book of Acts.  

being baptized in the Holy Spirit is not a salvation requirement

BUT

baptism in the Holy Spirit is accompanied by speaking in tongues

BUT

the Holy Spirit will teach me, even though, as I dont speak in tongues, the Holy Spirit isnt available to me as I havent been baptised in the Holy Spirit.

I give up trying to understand this. I know Jesus loves me. I leave my Salvation and whether I am a worthy person to be helped by His Comforter, to Him.

I feel sad. I dont like not having the Holy Spirit.

Edited by leah777

Guest AgedLace
Just now, leah777 said:

too, too confusing.

BUT

BUT

the Holy Spirit will teach me, even though, as I dont speak in tongues, the Holy Spirit isnt available to me as I havent been baptised in the Holy Spirit.

I give up trying to understand this. I know Jesus loves me. I leave my Salvation and whether I am a worthy person to be helped by His Comforter, to Him.

I feel sad.

I am sincerely sorry I have confused you.  I am asking the Lord to help me clarify this for you.

First ...

[Jhn 20:21 NASB]
So Jesus said to them again, "Peace [be] with you; as the Father has sent Me, I also send you."

[Jhn 20:22 NASB]
And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit.

Before He was taken up into heaven, Jesus imparted the Holy Spirit to His disciples and said "received the Holy Spirit".

It is my belief that when you accept Christ jesus as your Lord and Savior you have been "born of the Spirit" ... you are a new creation .. 

Yet, Jesus *also* told His disciples ... 

[Act 1:7 NASB]
He said to them, "It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority;

[Act 1:8 NASB]
but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth."

[Act 1:9 NASB]
And after He had said these things, He was lifted up while they were looking on, and a cloud received Him out of their sight.

It is this second outpouring ... the Baptism of the Holy Spirit ... wherein the apostles [and us] are endued with His power so that we can be His witnesses.  Again - compare the lives of the apostles before and after this outpouring of the Holy Spirit.  

I would once again encourage you ... and anyone else who may have questions about this ... to prayerfully read the Book of Acts all the while asking the Holy Spirit to open your eyes to what He intended His Word to mean.

Guest AgedLace
3 minutes ago, PepperS said:

I accused no one of anything. 

Like I said, I didn't address that post to anyone in particular, All I did was warn against putting stumbling blocks in front of others. 

I feel like you don't even understand what I mean by stumbling block, even after I gave you the definition. 

Since you seem to be becoming very agitated and are taking things at a personal level not intended, I will let this one cool for a while.

I am not agitated in the least.  I am content and at totally at peace in my spirit.  It was my understanding we were having a discussion about what the Bible has to say about speaking in tongues.  Apparently I was mistaken.  

I read, and clearly understood, what you meant by stumbling block.  

It is not my intention to needless argue, or cause dissention of any sort.  I will  bow out of this conversation.  I have share what the Bible says, and have asked those who have questions to seek God's understanding about these passages.  There is nothing more for me to say here.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,143
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The problem I warn people about is that tongues not interpreted lead people to trust their intuitions and feeling outside of the foundation of the communicable Scriptures....

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  81
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

On 1/10/2019 at 5:06 PM, leah777 said:

too, too confusing.

BUT

BUT

I feel sad. I dont like not having the Holy Spirit.

"Worthy" is the key word where you are stumbling.

I am not "worthy" of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit nor Salvation, and neither are you. So long as you keep trying to receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit based on "Worthiness" you will fail to be filled properly. Isaiah said "all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags (It really says "menstrous cloth").

None of us "deserve" the Holy Spirit. 

As I said on the other thread, all you need to receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is:

1) Be born again.

2) Pray to the Father in the name of Jesus to give you the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

3) Open your mouth, by faith, and speak the syllables that the Holy Spirit puts there. The first time is the hardest time, but then it gets easier.

• Thumbs Up 1