• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

On 1/11/2019 at 4:13 AM, leah777 said:

how would you know you were speaking in tongues if you were alone?

Vast majority of people can hear themselves speak.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 9 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  125
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,082
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

1 Corinthians 14:22-25 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
22 And from this we see that the use of different languages shows how God deals with those who don’t believe, not with those who believe. And prophecy shows how God works through those who believe, not through unbelievers. 23 Suppose the whole church meets together and you all speak in different languages. If some people come in who are without understanding or don’t believe, they will say you are crazy. 24 But suppose you are all prophesying and someone comes in who does not believe or who is without understanding. Their sin will be shown to them, and they will be judged by everything you say. 25 The secret things in their heart will be made known. So they will bow down and worship God. They will say, “Without a doubt, God is here with you.”

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  771
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/07/1947

On 1/14/2019 at 11:55 AM, leah777 said:

They spoke clearly and fluently, as native speakers of the language they talked to the foreigners, not baby words and a couple of syllables learned over a dozen years. I am just not buying this. Show me the scripture where it says every believer speaks in tongues, and if they dont, they are not baptized in the Holy Spirit.

Me, I can babble any nonsense into google translate and it comes up with something similar and identifies it as a language. Try it and see.

Yes, you can babble any nonsense you wish.  The creators of Star Trek made up a whole Klingon language with words and meanings.  So no surprises there!

But when a genuine believer who believes that the ability to pray in tongues is God's will for him or her, asks God directly for it and receives it by faith, knowing that God will not give him something different ('if a child asks for bread will the father give him a stone?"), and then starts speaking a language he has never learned to God in faith while in his private prayer room, he is right out of range of anyone who can say he is not praying genuinely in tongues, in a language that God understands and appreciates.

Of course, you can always tell God Himself that those who pray in tongues in their prayer rooms are just speaking babble, and see what He says about it.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  771
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/07/1947

On 2/26/2020 at 6:51 AM, Daniel Marsh said:

1 Corinthians 14:22-25 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
22 And from this we see that the use of different languages shows how God deals with those who don’t believe, not with those who believe. And prophecy shows how God works through those who believe, not through unbelievers. 23 Suppose the whole church meets together and you all speak in different languages. If some people come in who are without understanding or don’t believe, they will say you are crazy. 24 But suppose you are all prophesying and someone comes in who does not believe or who is without understanding. Their sin will be shown to them, and they will be judged by everything you say. 25 The secret things in their heart will be made known. So they will bow down and worship God. They will say, “Without a doubt, God is here with you.”

What do you think Paul mean when he said, "I thank God I speak in tongues more than you all, yet in the church I wold rather speak two words in plain language so that all will be edified"?   So if he didn't speak in tongues in church, then where did he speak it?