Tyler22

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

in terms of spiritual praying aka praying in the spirit of is tongues, what has personally helped you?  Usually for me to get "into" it I use a worship song but what works for you?

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  3

Tyler 22,

Spiritual Gifts are not an emotional exercise that you "get into", like some sort of mindless zombie trance you can practice and evolve.

Also, there is no such thing as "the spirit of tongues".

And even tho you have not asked for my advice, im going to give you some.

Listen........Whatever church, book, study guide, Pastor, or believer, has led you into this fleshy and  emotional rabbit trail of nothing........You need to get away from it.

You need........to get away from it.

It will waste more of your time, and 20+yrs from now, you'll still not be doing anything for God.

<B><

Edited by Behold
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/16/1964

6 hours ago, Tyler22 said:

in terms of spiritual praying aka praying in the spirit of is tongues, what has personally helped you?  Usually for me to get "into" it I use a worship song but what works for you?

Fasting. The less I eat, the more I pray and vice versa. When the flesh is brought under, the spirit rises to ascendancy, and one starts praying in tongues naturally without even being conscious of it. It also happens a lot without fasting, of course, but as far as being able to switch into anointed tongues during prayer normally, it usually takes an extended time of praying with my mind, anywhere between 20-40 minutes usually.

Worship does indeed facilitate it for some, btw. Just depends on the person, and how quickly they can enter into true worship.

• Oy Vey! 1

• 4 months later...

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  134
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

On 5/1/2018 at 8:40 AM, Tyler22 said:

Tongues are given when the spirit chooses to give a sign to new believers. So if someone sees glossolalia and it means something to the believer, then its significant. Otherwise, its not significant and isn't something you can simply conjure up on your own.

• Oy Vey! 1

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

One thing to keep in mind when we talk about spiritual gifts (in this cast tongues): If we don't have LOVE, then it profits us nothing.

Food for thought.

In peace

• This is Worthy 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  406
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:19 PM, Behold said:

Tyler 22,

Spiritual Gifts are not an emotional exercise that you "get into", like some sort of mindless zombie trance you can practice and evolve.

Also, there is no such thing as "the spirit of tongues".

And even tho you have not asked for my advice, im going to give you some.

Listen........Whatever church, book, study guide, Pastor, or believer, has led you into this fleshy and  emotional rabbit trail of nothing........You need to get away from it.

You need........to get away from it.

It will waste more of your time, and 20+yrs from now, you'll still not be doing anything for God.

<B><

I take it you have never read 1 Cor 14: 14--15, because it tells us that these tongues are our spirit praying.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

On 5/1/2018 at 6:40 AM, Tyler22 said:

Praying in tongues isn't something you should try to bring on yourself. There is too much danger of "other spririts" taking advantage of that. Instead, concentrate on the Lord, go deep into prayer and let yourself be lost in His presence and you will begin to speak in tongues naturally, the way the Spirit intended.

Don't try to create the experience on your own and it will come to you.

Guest AgedLace

@PepperS, not all biblical tongues were known earthly languages; nor are they unintelligible babble.  

First, Paul tells us ...

[1Co 13:1 NASB] 1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

and

[1Co 14:2 NASB] 2 For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in [his] spirit he speaks mysteries.

Second, the first century church saw that the evidence of believers being baptized in the Holy Spirit was them speaking in tongues.

Just two examples ...

[Act 10:44 NASB]
While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who were listening to the message.

[Act 10:45 NASB]
All the circumcised believers who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also.

[Act 10:46 NASB]
For they were hearing them speaking with tongues and exalting God. Then Peter answered,

and here ...

[Act 19:6 NASB] 6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they [began] speaking with tongues and prophesying.

Paul even says that he wished that all christians would speak in tongues ...

[1Co 14:5 NASB] 5 Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but [even] more that you would prophesy; and greater is one who prophesies than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edifying.

Paul tells us why ...

[1Co 14:4 NASB] 4 One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church.

Third, Paul also tells us that messages in tongues should only be spoken in an open church assembly when there is someone who can interpret them ...

[1Co 14:27 NASB]
If anyone speaks in a tongue, [it should be] by two or at the most three, and [each] in turn, and one must interpret;

[1Co 14:28 NASB]
but if there is no interpreter, he must keep silent in the church; and let him speak to himself and to God.

Finally, Paul teaches us about another application of speaking in tongues ...

[Rom 8:26 NASB]
In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for [us] with groanings too deep for words;

[Rom 8:27 NASB]
and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to [the will of] God.

I hope this helps!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.73
  • Days Won:  1

how would you know you were speaking in tongues if you were alone?

Guest AgedLace
1 hour ago, leah777 said:

how would you know you were speaking in tongues if you were alone?

When the Holy Spirit comes upon you and starts speaking through you, your spirit will give witness that it is from Him and you will just know.