• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  806
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/21/1973

Hey, been a while since my last post here. Finally- 750 posts.

Finally got dental insurance (Delta Care) after a a year or two of not having it & managed to get to a dentist for the first time in quite a while.

Got a checkup today, but no cleaning. Dentist said I need a deep cleaning (to get under the gums).

Even w/insurance (well, weak insurance) it's a lot of money. But I guess it's better than losing my gums, teeth, etc.

Tough to know who to trust. And what to do.

My bite's off & he wants to do a custom bite guard for sleep (serious teeth grinding). Been using store bought ones for some years now, but he said those can make things worse.

Last dentist (or two) wanted to do the same, but I never had the money for it.

Maybe it's finally time to do that too. So tough to decide when to give in and spend when money's limited. No idea what others do.

Thanks! God bless.

Edited by jeffnevins

Thanks. Good point. Switching dentists can be really tough due to how hard it is to get through to someone at Delta, but I can consider it.

Or just try a regular cleaning.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Content Count:  1,271
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  1

I heard that once you have a deep clean you always have to have a deep clean.  This may be rumor, it’s just what I heard.  They will only do one side at a time, maybe even broken into four quadrants, upper right, lower right, etc.  They numb that side of the mouth as it is invasive.  Dentists are pushing more and more for these deep cleans.  I believe it is just a way for them to make money.  Insurance most often will not cover this procedure, why I ask?  They deem it unnecessary.  My irritation is that they are my teeth and if I want a normal clean I should be able to get one.  Dentists are keeping more people away with this ploy then would normally happen.

That’s my two cents.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Content Count:  1,271
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  1

I also have been reading an article called “When do you need dental deep cleaning”.  This article was on Angie’s List and they say you do not have to have a full deep clean that the area that has a problem can be deep cleaned.  This article was pretty negative about it.  They said that it is an expensive up sell.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

Well.......I would say that if it is within your budget go ahead and get it done. Then have regular check ups which might not be so expensive if you keep your teeth in check. I had a deep cleaning done on mine since I had not been to the dentist in 15 years or so.  I had this fear of dentist. It took about a months worth of appointments to get done as they did a few teeth at a time. I had very bad teeth.  Thankfully for me I found a Christian dentist who allowed me to make payments. I thank them for that and told them if they had not allowed me to do that I would have never been able to get my teeth fixed. I always got the bill paid off before my next visit. After all of that was done and I had a tooth pulled and a root work done.(like I said I had bad teeth)  It just became regular visits every 6 months. So that's my story. Good luck to you on what you decided to do. :D

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:21 AM, jeffnevins said:

Hey, been a while since my last post here. Finally- 750 posts.

Finally got dental insurance (Delta Care) after a a year or two of not having it & managed to get to a dentist for the first time in quite a while.

Got a checkup today, but no cleaning. Dentist said I need a deep cleaning (to get under the gums).

Even w/insurance (well, weak insurance) it's a lot of money. But I guess it's better than losing my gums, teeth, etc.

Tough to know who to trust. And what to do.

My bite's off & he wants to do a custom bite guard for sleep (serious teeth grinding). Been using store bought ones for some years now, but he said those can make things worse.

Last dentist (or two) wanted to do the same, but I never had the money for it.

Maybe it's finally time to do that too. So tough to decide when to give in and spend when money's limited. No idea what others do.

Thanks! God bless.

I don't do health insurance since the day Obamacare became the law of the land, but I dumped dental insurance a LONG time ago. It's not worth it. I just pay out of pocket. And if it's SERIOUS, it is no longer considered "dental". i.e. if you DO have health insurance, it covers "major" dental stuff. Kinda weird.

I am on a "cleaning" plan with the local dentist. Very nice people. I pay $275 and that gets me two appointments during the year (every six months). One includes "cleaning" and the other includes cleaning and X-rays.

So, to recap, I get TWO cleanings and x-rays for $275, with NO insurance involved.

The price you are being quoted is really high, unless they are in a high rent area, which I suppose is always possible.

• Thumbs Up 2

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:40 AM, Blue Lulu said:

I also have been reading an article called “When do you need dental deep cleaning”.  This article was on Angie’s List and they say you do not have to have a full deep clean that the area that has a problem can be deep cleaned.  This article was pretty negative about it.  They said that it is an expensive up sell.

I just realized that there is a difference between a "deep clean" and a teeth cleaning. I only get a cleaning. I would never go for a deep clean. What's the point? It already gets the areas the matter with a standard cleaning.

1 minute ago, Yowm said:

A standard cleaning does not reach the tartar under the gums.

Got it. They get the scraping, but not the "polish". At least, my cleanings get the scraping above and below the gums, and the polish of the exposed teeth.

6 hours ago, Still Alive said:

I don't do health insurance since the day Obamacare became the law of the land, but I dumped dental insurance a LONG time ago. It's not worth it. I just pay out of pocket. And if it's SERIOUS, it is no longer considered "dental". i.e. if you DO have health insurance, it covers "major" dental stuff. Kinda weird.

I am on a "cleaning" plan with the local dentist. Very nice people. I pay $275 and that gets me two appointments during the year (every six months). One includes "cleaning" and the other includes cleaning and X-rays.

So, to recap, I get TWO cleanings and x-rays for $275, with NO insurance involved.

The price you are being quoted is really high, unless they are in a high rent area, which I suppose is always possible.

Yeah, I usually don't have dental ins either, but I try it once in a while.

Thanks for the info. It's residential Concord, CA- not high-rent.

And yeah, deep means under the gums. Might go for a regular cleaning since it's been a year or two. Ins should help cover most of that cost at least.