GreyDestiny

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  131
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Many people detest the idea of having children someday. Many of these people, regardless of their desire to not have children, go out and about and engage in funny business anyway.

However, there is a growing movement (or movements) where people are basically celibate. No funny business, no dating, no holding hands, no marriage, you name it. The reasons are many. Some are caught up in the divisiveness between the sexes, some claim it as independence and freedom, some claiming to have no sexual desire whatsoever, the list goes on. 

What I am asking you is, do you think it's acceptable for a Christian to be the same way? Does a person have to get married and have children?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

1Co 7:27  Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife.
1Co 7:28  But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you.

1Co 7:6  But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment.
1Co 7:7  For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.
1Co 7:8
  I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I.
1Co 7:9  But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  07/16/1964

2 hours ago, GreyDestiny said:

Many people detest the idea of having children someday. Many of these people, regardless of their desire to not have children, go out and about and engage in funny business anyway.

However, there is a growing movement (or movements) where people are basically celibate. No funny business, no dating, no holding hands, no marriage, you name it. The reasons are many. Some are caught up in the divisiveness between the sexes, some claim it as independence and freedom, some claiming to have no sexual desire whatsoever, the list goes on. 

What I am asking you is, do you think it's acceptable for a Christian to be the same way? Does a person have to get married and have children?

The passage Gary Lee cited is the one you are looking for on this issue. To fully explain it would require a full teaching on the importance of fasting in the early church (1 Corinthians 7:5), which has a taming effect upon the sex drive. But Paul's teaching makes it abundantly clear that he considered the single life as preferred over the married life, at least for those who could succeed at it without losing self-control.

The more a believer is free to pursue the things of God alone, the more he can be of use to Him, plain and simple. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

26 minutes ago, Hidden In Him said:

The passage Gary Lee cited is the one you are looking for on this issue. To fully explain it would require a full teaching on the importance of fasting in the early church (1 Corinthians 7:5), which has a taming effect upon the sex drive. But Paul's teaching makes it abundantly clear that he considered the single life as preferred over the married life, at least for those who could succeed at it without losing self-control.

The more a believer is free to pursue the things of God alone, the more he can be of use to Him, plain and simple. 

This is true my friend  .  by grace I have been single for fourteen years .   And man its a blessing .    IF I say why I am single

then that is where the constant fights begin .   but truth is truth .   For me to remarry ITS ADULTERY .   period end of discussion .

However some men just chose to be single , like paul .   But its been a joy for me , to LIVE BY JESUS and not mens doctrines that contradict JESUS sayings . I hope that encourages you.

I have another dream I will share later .   It was a big one and very filled full of detail .   

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Days Won:  5

6 hours ago, Hidden In Him said:

Amen, and that's a fact:

1Co 7:32-33

But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord:

But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

7 hours ago, Hidden In Him said:

To fully explain it would require a full teaching on the importance of fasting in the early church (1 Corinthians 7:5), which has a taming effect upon the sex drive.

I have acquired plenty of self-control regarding that; thanks to God. As for fasting, I remember I did it a few times only (officially).

But still I am living a very lonely life and I desire so much at least one close friend. But I need a miracle to change this in my life.

I do not have what I would call a real conversation with people for many years already.

But Paul's teaching makes it abundantly clear that he considered the single life as preferred over the married life, at least for those who could succeed at it without losing self-control.

What is self-control in this context? Is it the ability to remain alone and not desire anyone near you?!

If it is that then I am lacking, I confess I am surviving by grace alone here... I desire so much at least one friend in this life.

It is a miracle I can have and express joy; speaking in human terms I had all reasons to be depressed.

This is true. But in my case I believe I need human help.

It is so hard for me to interact with people in the real life that I feel I need people to help me.

• Praying! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

1 hour ago, 4LdKHVCzRDj2 said:

I have acquired plenty of self-control regarding that; thanks to God. As for fasting, I remember I did it a few times only (officially).

But still I am living a very lonely life and I desire so much at least one close friend. But I need a miracle to change this in my life.

I do not have what I would call a real conversation with people for many years already.

What is self-control in this context? Is it the ability to remain alone and not desire anyone near you?!

If it is that then I am lacking, I confess I am surviving by grace alone here... I desire so much at least one friend in this life.

It is a miracle I can have and express joy; speaking in human terms I had all reasons to be depressed.

This is true. But in my case I believe I need human help.

It is so hard for me to interact with people in the real life that I feel I need people to help me.

Letters you loved my brother .      I work and interact with some folks .  And you aint alone .  While I can greet and be kind

It seems few to none want to stick to a conversation about GOD .   or if they do ,  quickly they throwing worldy lusts and desires into a conversation .

I remember visiting lots of churches .    And by grace I would get some fired up into a conversation about GOD .    But it seems so many were just

quick to want to talk about football , or some sporting event , or this or that .    Or money talk or whatever . 

If I wanted the things of the world ,   then I would speak of such things JUST LIKE I USED TOO.    That stuff is dead to me ,  I pray many will die to the cares and pleasures in life .

But ,  I have been happier than a pig in three foot of slop ,    I did find a tiny church .   And those people love the LORD .    The way is NARROW in Christ .

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

[for me anyway] the Word of God tells us plainly concerning this matter, that those given in marriage do well, and those given not in marriage do better: Why? because those given in marriage must needs care for the things of the world for their spouses sake; whereas those given not in marriage may keep their full concentration on the Lord: notwithstanding being married is not at all less than being not married, rather it is the taking on an extra yoke.

(1 Corinthians 7:32-38)

Edited by lastofall
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  12/08/1950

If I understand Paul correctly, his celibacy was a gift from God.  Not all people can live this way of course and the Lord loves the little children and gave us the means to have them.  A family is a wonderful thing, and children are God's gift.  We just need to obey God, and if He sends someone along for us to be united with, then that's wonderful.  Otherwise some people enjoy the single life!  Each choice involves sacrifice in different ways.  As Paul said, if you are happy being single, do not seek a wife.  But most of us are built for deep relationship with another person and, as a committed Christian, this would be heterosexual and after putting God first in our lives.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

I speak as a life-long single....so, no, it is not necessary to marry.  However, most people are not able to remain in such a state, so then it is better for them to marry.

1 Corinthians 7:9 - But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn (with passion).

• Thumbs Up 3