• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I don't understand some Bible verses.
Matthew 10:34 34 "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 36 and one's foes will be members of one's own household. 37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me."
Luke 12:51-53 51 "Do you think that I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division! 52 From now on five in one household will be divided, three against two and two against three; 53 they will be divided: father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law."
Luke 14:26 26 "Whoever comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and even life itself, cannot be my disciple.
I checked out a half-dozen different versions of the Bible and the all use the same word "hate".
I checked out my " The Complete Word Study New Testament" and the English word" hate" is translated from the Greek word "3404 (hatred) to detest (especially to persecute) by extension to love less – hate( – ful)"
I must have read right over these verses and not paid attention to the words and they contradict my beliefs and what I was taught about Jesus Christ.
If anyone can explain this verses (without ignoring words) I would appreciate that you respond to me.
Thank You

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,810
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

You raise an excellent set of questions.  

When Jesus said that he came to bring division or to divide, he is talking to his disciples that he is about to send out.  

• He tells them about the persecution that they will face. [verses 16-18]
  • That they will be given what to say when they are arrested. [verses 19-20]
  • That this hatred and persecution will come even from family members! [verses 21-23]
  • That they must expect all of this because they, as disciples are not above their master. [verses 24-25]
  • That they cannot be afraid, but to be bold.  God is only one to fear.  And he takes care of all the little things and will take care of them. [verses 26-31]
  • And finally if that ARE afraid and deny Christ that he will deny those that do this. [verses 32-33]

Your question is about his next statement - the division.

Jesus is telling them that these division are going to occur - some will accept Christ, some will reject Christ - and that this will be hard and even divide family members apart.

And he explains in explicit terms that our following him may cause these divisions.  For example, my own cousin-in-law was cut off from her family when she gave her life to Christ and married a Christian man.  They spat on her and ran her from their lives.

If my cousin has allowed her love of her family to make her say, "OK, I won't become a Christian because my family will hate me.", then she would have never been saved.

Our love for Christ must come before anything and anyone - even the people we love the most.  

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/16/1964

10 hours ago, 6miker said:

Matthew 10:34 34 "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 36 and one's foes will be members of one's own household. 37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me."
Luke 12:51-53 51 "Do you think that I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division! 52 From now on five in one household will be divided, three against two and two against three; 53 they will be divided: father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law."
Luke 14:26 26 "Whoever comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and even life itself, cannot be my disciple.
I checked out a half-dozen different versions of the Bible and the all use the same word "hate".
I checked out my " The Complete Word Study New Testament" and the English word" hate" is translated from the Greek word "3404 (hatred) to detest (especially to persecute) by extension to love less – hate( – ful)"
I must have read right over these verses and not paid attention to the words and they contradict my beliefs and what I was taught about Jesus Christ.
If anyone can explain this verses (without ignoring words) I would appreciate that you respond to me.
Thank You

Jayne did a good job with the context. About the word "hate," a slightly better translation for the Greek word used here would be "despise," in the sense of having contempt for something or someone. It is used in the LXX (the Greek Old Testament) in verses like Deuteronomy 21:15-16, where it talks about a man having two wives, and being loving towards one but despising (i.e. having contempt for) the other. 

What Jesus was saying was that this will be the natural reaction of anyone who loves the Lord yet has family members who reject Him and try to tell them to turn from Him. It causes a natural disdain in the believer, and causes them to have contempt for them because their family is trying to force them to give up the God they love. He was teaching here that these situations may be unavoidable, so to be prepared to have to endure such things when they happen.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,139
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

11 hours ago, 6miker said:

Thank You

Matthew 10:34 "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword."

The peace that comes on the earth is a false peace, but the sword of the Lord is a two edged sword, it is the tongue of Jesus Christ. That sword that is given here is our entire Bible, and that Word shall not be compromise with any part of humans unjust judgments. Jesus is telling us that when something comes in your life that seems unjust, and we have been compromising with Satan, it is what we should expect. Jesus came to bring the sword of truth, as spelled out in His Holy Word. He spoke it in person, and He wrote it through the prophets. That is the thing that He brought to us, and we can see the fulfillment of that Word.

Matthew 10:35 "For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law."

The variance comes into being when there is a difference between what the father's traditions teach, and his son following of what the Word of God has to say. When there is a difference in what the family members believe, then there will be discourse in the household. There are two different natures in these individuals, and two different frames of mind.

Man's word changes every day, and so does the vocabulary of the traditions also change. Those changes are what is accepted as sin, and the standards that modern man lives by. However, God Word is fixed, and unchanging. It was the same yesterday, as it is today, and will be at the end of this earth age.

Matthew 10:36 "And a man's foes shall be they of his own household."

Matthew 10:37 "He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me."

The comparison is not whether you love or do not love your family members, but whether they take priority over Christ and His work. Your worthiness to Christ is to what degree that you put His work over the wants of your family. Your family can turn on you, but God will never turn on you.

Matthew 10:38 "And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me."

Your cross is what you take when you expect to be crucified on it. In other words, what you are going to do daily for Christ, you would be willing to die for that cause. Don't take this statement too lightly. You pick up your cross when you are studying God's Word, then to what point are willing to die for that Word? Take it seriously enough that if you are delivered up, that would be your state of mind.

https://www.theseason.org/nt.htm

• Thumbs Up 1