IGNORED

Worship pastors, directors and the like!

rockswillcryout

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/2003

If any of you worship pastors or directors have taken a church through the transition from traditional to contemporary worship, and are willing to have a dialog with me about this, I would appreciate it very much.

My email is rockswillcryout@yahoo.com. I need some advice and I have lots of questions. Please email me if you are willing to help.

I haven't done that exactly but once took a congregation from a contemporary serrvice to being messianic. Maybe some of what I learned would apply?

First of all, you start the service with something familiar to allow people to "loosen up" before the Lord. Something joyous and yet comfortable. Maybe you take a new approach to a familiar hymn?

In the beginning of this changeover, you probably should do songs that they might have heard but have never sang. Take it slowly because people are usually kinda passionate about the songs they sing at church.

After a couple of those you introduce something completely new. You should avoid doing more than one or two songs in a service that they've never heard (depending on how long the service lasts) for the first few months.

You won't be able to please everyone but you are still responsible to be a servant to the congregation's need for corporate worship. Be sensitive to everyone as much as possible.

If it is possible, a "special" off-night service once a month would be good to introduce a whole set of new songs. Do you have a coffee house/fellowship hall and a willing music team?

It could be treacherous waters you are entering if the congregation is set in their ways. Be bold but not stubborn.

Did I mention you should take it slowly? :rolleyes:

Hope that helps.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

I've played in several worship bands. Amixture of old and new songs seems palatable to most people.

We used to do a lot of 24 hour worship services that included many denominations. I t is a good way to get your parishiners to get involved. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Psalms 33

3 Sing to him a new song; play skillfully with a loud noise.

Psalms 40

3 And he has put a new song in my mouth, even praise to our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.

Psalms 96

1 O sing to the LORD a new song: sing to the LORD, all the earth.

Psalms 98

1 O sing to the LORD a new song; for he has done marvelous things: his right hand, and his holy arm, has gotten him the victory.

Psalms 144

9 I will sing a new song to you, O God: on a psaltery and an instrument of ten strings will I sing praises to you.

Psalms 149

1 Praise you the LORD. Sing to the LORD a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints.

Isaiah 42

10 Sing to the LORD a new song, and his praise from the end of the earth, you that go down to the sea, and all that is therein; the isles, and the inhabitants thereof.

Revelation 5

9 And they sung a new song, saying, You are worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for you were slain, and have redeemed us to God by your blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;

Revelation 14

3 And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth.

I'm trying to speak in generalities that would apply to every situation. Is there something specific you are asking, Bro David?

Guest Bro David™
I'm trying to speak in generalities that would apply to every situation. Is there something specific you are asking, Bro David?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok I will be frank with you.

I am acquainted with allot of Churches here in my country.

I am noticing that here in my country all of the Good and spirit led churches are going in the direction of Israel and MESSIANIC worship styles.

Some even have horns and other related stuff.

My family run a few churches has well and the leading is such that we are turning to more MESSIANIC style and Israel oriented focus.

I would like to know how you changed the congregation to follow suite , the troubles you faced and your journey.

I am in a good position to share some great insight with folks here.

I am still half-half, kinda still a bit skeptical and all that.

Would love to learn more from a first hand experience.

If you would.

I will gladly start a thread tomorrow about it if you would like to share your journey.

A thread would be better so that others could also share your thoughts/

God Bless and in Abbas name.

:emot-hug:

First of all you should know that this was a messianic congregation already. They had a worship leader who knew nothing about messianic music and was doing the whole Vineyard kinda deal..and the congregation liked it.

When I was brought in, I didn't realize that and started doing a lot of hebrew and playing songs that every messianic congregation should know (Lamb, Israel's Hope, Barry & Batya, etc...)

No way I would take a church and change it to messianic of my own desire. That could split the entire congregation if they don't already have a heart for this. I probably would play a messianic song or two in a service to keep things fresh though.

It isn't up to a worship leader to dictate...only to facilitate.

Guest Bro David™
First of all you should know that this was a messianic congregation already. They had a worship leader who knew nothing about messianic music and was doing the whole Vineyard kinda deal..and the congregation liked it.

When I was brought in, I didn't realize that and started doing a lot of hebrew and playing songs that every messianic congregation should know (Lamb, Israel's Hope, Barry & Batya, etc...)

No way I would take a church and change it to messianic of my own desire. That could split the entire congregation if they don't already have a heart for this. I probably would play a messianic song or two in a service to keep things fresh though.

It isn't up to a worship leader to dictate...only to facilitate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like I said the leading here in Singapore is such.

So is that a yes you will share or was that a snub that I somehow missed seeing .LOL :emot-hug:

:wub:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

I have never done so, but know several Pastors who have done. If it is par for the course, you will lose between 1/3 to 2/3 of the congregants, but after a year to two years you will begin to GROW LIKE CRAZY!

Have you given serious thought to making Sunday Morning a more liturgical service, and using Sunday PM and/or midweek for the Contemporary service?

Guest Bro David™
I have never done so, but know several Pastors who have done.  If it is par for the course, you will lose between 1/3 to 2/3 of the congregants, but after a year to two years you will begin to GROW LIKE CRAZY!

Have you given serious thought to making Sunday Morning a more liturgical service, and using Sunday PM and/or midweek for the Contemporary service?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me ?