Micah collins

What is your opinion on young earth creationism

On 6/2/2018 at 5:56 AM, steve w said:

This is the problem I encountered. The priest told me if a biblical story was unusual then it was an allegory and I should not treat it fact. I would think everything in the Bible is allegory. None of it has any timeline. There are no reliable witnesses to any event. It is not history. It is all fiction

Here is the source not necessary his fault.

Who is the priest?  That you depend on so much? And does it line up with Jesus? Surely it should since priest claim to follow the Word.

14 hours ago, Cobalt1959 said:

And perhaps these should have been included:

"Thou shalt not smoke crack."

"Thou shalt not drive intoxicated."

People were doing that when the 10 Commandments were written?

Please, no more sarcasm. I know Christians are sarcastic. I have met enough of them in real life and on this forum. I shouldn't be surprised. They behave like children and even Jesus noticed this: 'Suffer the little children to come unto me...'. Then he promised them the childlike fantasy of heaven. 

6 minutes ago, steve w said:

People were doing that when the 10 Commandments were written?

Please, no more sarcasm. I know Christians are sarcastic. I have met enough of them in real life and on this forum. I shouldn't be surprised. They behave like children and even Jesus noticed this: 'Suffer the little children to come unto me...'. Then he promised them the childlike fantasy of heaven. 

If sarcasm suits the situation, I will use it.  You accuse others of sarcasm, and then end your post with the poison-barbed sentence I highlighted.  Hypocrisy much?

In this case, I am pointing out that according to your logic, every single possible permutation of a sin has to be laid out in specific text.  I don't need a commandment telling me not to smoke crack when I know that that would not be a behavior a Christian was encouraged to embrace.  The same applies to rape.  Some things are simple common sense.

The real problem here is that you make endless accusations and use the same falsehoods atheist have been using for years.  You bring nothing new to the conversation.  What you claim is debunked, at which point you abandon that line of reasoning and move on to the next atheist talking point.  A person with credibility would address rebuttals and simply admit they were wrong, or at the very least, discuss them.  Take for instance your claims about Philo and the Dead Sea scrolls.  When it was pointed out you were wrong about these things you suddenly abandoned those topics.  People notice when you make a statement, it is countered and suddenly you are seen walking in the opposite direction.

56 minutes ago, Cobalt1959 said:

If sarcasm suits the situation, I will use it.  You accuse others of sarcasm, and then end your post with the poison-barbed sentence I highlighted.  Hypocrisy much?

In this case, I am pointing out that according to your logic, every single possible permutation of a sin has to be laid out in specific text.  I don't need a commandment telling me not to smoke crack when I know that that would not be a behavior a Christian was encouraged to embrace.  The same applies to rape.  Some things are simple common sense.

The real problem here is that you make endless accusations and use the same falsehoods atheist have been using for years.  You bring nothing new to the conversation.  What you claim is debunked, at which point you abandon that line of reasoning and move on to the next atheist talking point.  A person with credibility would address rebuttals and simply admit they were wrong, or at the very least, discuss them.  Take for instance your claims about Philo and the Dead Sea scrolls.  When it was pointed out you were wrong about these things you suddenly abandoned those topics.  People notice when you make a statement, it is countered and suddenly you are seen walking in the opposite direction.

Of course he does; it's not an answer he wants, but rather, the opportunity to accuse God and "destroy Him" in the minds of believers. He isn't seeking to be acquitted of his sin; he's seeking to ensure that in his mind and the minds of all those he strives to encounter, that God can never be acquitted  for "making a world like this".

So for him, it's all a sick game to cause as much doubt as he can in the minds of believers, hoping to shatter their faith and draw them into the cold, empty, sterile world of Atheism. To that end;: when one attack fails, he simply switches to another, seeking "weak points" where he can drive his assaults into and rend open a person's faith. But therein lies the betrayal of Atheism....

...it's not about reason.

Instead, its' seeking to make ones' self the ultimate authority by removing any and all constraints on an individual beyond those that they feel should be followed by them. But in doing so, the utter inanity and ultimate futility of Atheism is exposed: when each person is essentially their own "god" and the "truth" they embrace is one of their own choosing, nothing is of consequence to the now-thousands of "little gods" who all have their own tiny realities, and seek to subject those around them to those realities with only themselves to answer to. At least, until the "reality" of one of these little self-made "gods" collides violently with the reality of another one.

Then it becomes about enforcing one's will, and thus, the battle of the most ruthless, driven by appetites and whims. Hardly the stuff of "logic and reason".

To become so driven, at a level even animalistic instinct would begin to blush greatly, comes across as so far below the capable intellectual acumen claimed by the so-called "new atheists", that the only reason one does not burst out into all-out laughter is that: 1) they take this all too seriously, and 2) they seek to inculcate as many into this morass as much as possible.

So, in the light that this is about desires then and not reason, I would suggest Cobalt that rather than treating steve w like a rational adult, he should instead be accorded the level of seriousness that his kind of "debate" warrants.

Unfortunately, we cannot ground him.

4 hours ago, Cobalt1959 said:

Here I am surrounded by Christians who act like playground bullies throwing their weight around with biblical quotes. But only the truth is safe. There cannot be such a thing as biblical truth because it's based purely on myth and hearsay, ancient scribble and redaction.

The one truth I can guarantee is that we all appeared out of the darkness and when our time comes we will return to the dark. There is no Heaven or Hell, so stop worrying. We have the privilege of life by the process of evolution, the true creator of life on earth..

8 minutes ago, steve w said:

Here I am surrounded by Christians who act like playground bullies throwing their weight around with biblical quotes. But only the truth is safe. There cannot be such a thing as biblical truth because it's based purely on myth and hearsay, ancient scribble and redaction.

The one truth I can guarantee is that we all appeared out of the darkness and when our time comes we will return to the dark. There is no Heaven or Hell, so stop worrying. We have the privilege of life by the process of evolution, the true creator of life on earth..

And what if you're completely wrong?  DNA shows that life is EXTREMELY COMPLEX ... and shows the reality of a CREATOR.  Simple test -- take apart a watch -- put it in a bag with its parts ... and shake the bag ... how long do you suppose the watch parts will become a watch again?  

11 minutes ago, steve w said:

I hear so much of lucifer's influence in this... that which is reliant upon something outside of self for being and steps into self authorization as though this was not true is completely insignificant in reason of any sort! The creation testifies of entropy or put another way: the creation testifies there's is an infinite reality and it's not it.... 

• Thumbs Up 1

Are you Christian?  Believer?  I gave a space in between to allow more time for response.  You're completely  avoiding questions reguarding Christ But are you a believer or follewer of this system? Explain I'm  begging?

I extended my question in hope of a response from you?

4 hours ago, steve w said:

You feel picked on?  Let's examine a few actual facts since you are such a big fan of "the truth."

Were you invited here?  Or did you just stumble onto the site?  Either way, you strolled onto our playground.  We did not invade yours.  So assertions that you are somehow being picked on are going to fall flat when you were the one who willingly joined this forum.  No one held a gun to your head.  And you joined here expressly to denigrate Christianity.  That is the only reason you are here.  If you were not ready to deal with people who are going to counter your false claims with reason, logic, and yes, their faith, you should not have come here.  Don't complain about the consequences of your actions when you should have realized what you were in for before you even came here.  I would not join an Atheist forum, start playing Whack-A-Mole there and then not expect a good deal of push-back from the members there.  They would be 100% justified in treating me like a red-headed step child since I came onto their playground, uninvited, and started bad-mouthing them.  I would not expect them to behave any differently than that.   You are not being picked-on and the Victim Card is not going to work for you here.

You make false claims and then drop them like they are hot when you are countered with facts you cannot refute.  You did it with the Bible.  Claiming we can't trust it because it is old, but it is the only ancient text you will dismiss because of it's age and you do so expressly because of what God claims the Bible is.  You can question it's inspiration, but you cannot question the voracity of the book itself, based on it's age.  If you do, you also have to toss out every single ancient text we have.  Have you done that?  Do you view every ancient text as suspect?  Obviously, you do not since you use Philo to try and prop up your false assertions that Jesus did not exist at all.  Philo's writings are ironclad, but the Bible is like the National Enquirer to you.  Got it.

The Dead Sea scrolls.  Everything you said about the Dead Sea scrolls was 100% false and you left a trail of dust when that was pointed out.  Jesus could not be mentioned in the Dead Sea scrolls since they were written approx. 250 years before He was born.  They are still talked about, examined, researched and studied to this day.  Even more fragments are being found, to this day, as I showed from a link I posted to an article on CNN, of all places, even though you claimed nobody talks about them any more.  Did you deal with that?  Nope.

Ancient extra-biblical sources that assert to the existence of Jesus.  Your entire response was based around Philo not mentioning Him.  You'll take other writers mentioning Him and toss them in the dust bin because they do not fit what you have already decided is true, but another ancient author, who is silent on the subject will be used, by you, to try and backstop a false assertion.  You cannot support a theory from silence on the subject.

I could go on, but you are not a victim here, in any way.  If you expected to come here and call everybody names while you claim there is no God and people were just going to roll over and say "OK," you didn't think this through very well.

• This is Worthy 1

6 hours ago, steve w said:

Here I am surrounded by Christians who act like playground bullies throwing their weight around with biblical quotes.

You are the one who came after us and we are simply quoting the Bible.   You aren't being bullied just because the Bible is being quoted and Christians are making better arguments that you thought we were supposed to be able to make and you're having to work harder at responding to us.   We are not as dumb as you presumed we were.  And it really bugs you that we are  not the pushovers you assumed we were.

But only the truth is safe. There cannot be such a thing as biblical truth because it's based purely on myth and hearsay, ancient scribble and redaction.

No, that is not true.   You keep trying to make the Bible mythological, but can't seem to support that assumption.   You have nothing to support your claims and we are "bullies"  if we provide substantive answers you can't refute because you weren't prepared for the evidence we can muster.  

That is completely irrational because Evolution isn't a creative theory.   Evolution is a theory about how life developed, not where life came from.

Evidently, you are wrong at the foundational level of your argument.  So... before you try to pick apart our facts, you might want to actually get your facts straight, first.

• This is Worthy 1