• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  170
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/21/1958

I have been reading in these forums as much as I can. I have seen quite a few points of view and have had a lot of fun so far. I appreciate this opportunity to read posts from others as well as to post myself. Here is my abbreviated view on the Law.

The law seems to be divided into three parts; the moral law, the ceremonial law, and the dietary law. The second two aspects of the law are so closely related that some believe them to be the same. Whether you separate the ceremonial and the dietary laws or combine them, the church has been specifically exempted of them both. We, as gentiles do not need to be circumcised nor abstain from unclean meats to be right with God.

Colossians 2:13-23 ¶ And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; 14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; 15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. 16Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. 18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, 19 And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God. 20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, 21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not; 22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men? 23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh. ary laws or combine them into one, 

Okay, then, what about the moral law? Is it different from the other two? Must we keep the moral law to keep our salvation? First, set aside the doctrinal debates that have raged and are raging concerning the Law for a moment, please, and consider the Law in practical terms. 

Exodus 20:1-18   1 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.   2 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image,   3 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain;  4 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.  5 Honour thy father and thy mother:  6 Thou shalt not kill.  7 Thou shalt not commit adultery.  8 Thou shalt not steal.  9 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.  10 Thou shalt not covet ... 

Should a Christian be involved in killing, adultery, stealing, bearing false witness, or general covetousness? The obvious answer is no. These things are wrong.  Remember that we are addressing these laws in practical terms, not religious terms.  I think that we can all be agreed that violation of the commandments is a bad thing.  Bear in mind, that each of these laws are expanded upon and explained further in both the Old and New Testament. I do not want to debate specific applications of the Law here. That is another discussion for another time. 

This brings me to the crux of the matter. What constitutes sin?  How do I know what sin is? In these forums, I have seen the topic of sin expounded and questioned frequently, with varying opinions set forth.  Here is where the purpose of the Law needs to be explained and brought to bear. I will state my view briefly and try to respond respectfully to any replies.  I believe that the book of Romans holds the answers.  As Paul's arguments are lengthy and thorough, I will show only the conclusions from Romans 7. I suggest that you read it in its entirety and not rely on the abbreviated version, which I have posted and edited below.

Romans 7:1-25 4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ;  

6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

7 ¶ What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet. 

12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

13 ... But sin, that it might appear sin, ... that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

My conclusions are that 1.) We are free from the law by the work of Christ (vs 4-6), 2) The purpose of the Law is to define and expose sin (vs 7-13), and 3.) The Law is holy, just, and good so we are bound to obey it (vs 12).  I detest the slander of my position on eternal security being defined as, "Once saved always saved, so live anyway you want to live".  I say a definite yes to "once saved always saved" but never "live any way you want to live".  I have pasted Article II from a statement of faith among a group of English Baptists written in 1770.  I believe it accurately reflects my view on the matter.

Articles of Religion of the New Connexion, 1770

Article II.  On the Nature and Perpetual Obligation of the Moral Law.   We believe, that the moral law not only extends to the outward actions of the life, but to all the powers and faculties of the mind, to every desire, temper and thought; that it demands the entire devotion of all the powers and faculties of both body and soul to God: or, in our Lord's words, to love the Lord with all our heart, mind, soul and strength:-that this law is of perpetual duration and obligation, to all men, at all times, and in all places or parts of the world.  And, we suppose that this law was obligatory to Adam in his perfect state-was more clearly reveled in the ten commandments-and more fully explained in many other parts of the bible.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

The Law was given so that “ transgressions might increase”.... kinda like kids will ignore my yard completely, but if I put up a “keep off the grass” here they come! God wants people to get absolutely sick of it,in the hope that they may abandon it.Another purpose of the Law (all 613 of them) is to show men that they can not keep it.Men need a Saviour, and if properly utilized, the Law will lead them to Christ.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

Gal 3:22  But the Scripture imprisoned all things under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.

Gal 3:23  But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, confined for the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

Gal 3:24  So that the law has become our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Gal 3:25  But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

• Praise God! 1