• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  170
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/21/1958

I had a visitation partner named Paul.  We would go to peoples' houses to them about the Lord.  Many of these folks would be reluctant to discuss their own need of Christ and would attempt to redirect the conversation to the Christian that they knew who had done bad things.  You have heard the list before; preachers who ran off with the piano player, deacons who lie, cheat, and curse prolifically, family members who are horrible people in private, etc. etc. etc.

My friend had an excellent reply.  He would say, "All that you say might be true, but what wrong has Jesus ever done to you?"  

It is expected that the lost person would surround himself with a wall of real and imagined examples of failed Christianity.  But the believer has his own cloud of witnesses in Hebrews 12:1 and we can look to Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith as true examples. Hebrews 12:2  

I am all about listening and responding to the views of other believers, but I have watched with dismay as posts with very interesting topics degenerate into totally different topics due to being sidetracked by certain hot and unresolved issues.  Listen when I tell you that I have some very rigid doctrinal beliefs that I have studied and do follow.  That being said, I want to know what others believe and why.  That's why I joined this forum in the first place.  Therefore, I refuse to be offended by those posting here, although I may take issue.  Please don't take it personally when I state an opposing position.  This forum could be a wonderful place for friendly debate.  Remember that believers and non-believers read this posts.

Galatians 5:13-16 ¶ For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another. 16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  140
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  01/20/1987

5 hours ago, JoeChan82 said:

My friend had an excellent reply.  He would say, "All that you say might be true, but what wrong has Jesus ever done to you?" 

I love this response ? Thank you for sharing! 

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

"All that you say might be true, but what wrong has Jesus ever done to you?" 

Thank you for this.  I have a friend who stopped going to church because of hurt she felt due to a situation that happened over 15 years ago.  I will definitely challenge her with this question!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

This forum attracts all types.. So the easy way to deal with people who  ""bite and devour"" you is to put them on ignore ASAP..

If you can tolerate and be a bit long-suffering towards people who have a bad attitude then maybe you can reach them with the truth after taking some bitterness from them..

But if you have low tolerance for being personally attacked and mocked then the ignore feature is there to be used.

As for people who reject God because of the failures of other human beings.. In the end if they reject God because of other human beings their faith was never based on God.. It was based on other human beings in their religious organization, their god was their religious community..

"All that you say might be true, but what wrong has Jesus ever done to you?"

Good saying.. And it rhymes too.. :D

Edited by Adstar
Missed quoting that good saying.. :)
  • Thumbs Up 1