• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0

Here's Hebrews 6:13-20,

13 For when God made a promise to Abraham, since he had no one greater by whom to swear, he swore by himself, 14 saying, “Surely I will bless you and multiply you.” 15 And thus Abraham, having patiently waited, obtained the promise. 16 For people swear by something greater than themselves, and in all their disputes an oath is final for confirmation. 17 So when God desired to show more convincingly to the heirs of the promise the unchangeable character of his purpose, he guaranteed it with an oath, 18 so that by two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us. 19 We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain, 20 where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf, having become a high priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.

Can someone explain to me in layman's terms what's being communicated in verse 18 (specifically, "so that by two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie")?

Edited by LeeGreenForest

Guest Butero

God confirmed his promises to us through two immutable things:  1  An oath  2  God cannot lie.  

The passage speaks of how when men take an oath, they do so pointing to something greater than themselves, but since there is no greater power than God, he swore by himself in confirming the promises made to us.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

"Two unchangeable things" - What two things?

[1]  God promise [to Abraham]

[2]  God's oath/pledge [the the heirs of Abraham]

Because God cannot lie - these two things are trustworthy

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

God’s word alone should be sufficient assurance; for He will never go back on it (Numbers 23:19). But since He is also the Guarantor of His word, we can be doubly sure that there is no possibility of us being deceived or disappointed.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Just sharing my own impression:

The author of the book of Hebrews, not named but generally considered to be Paul, is addressing a specific group of people mostly Jews. These are the saints, true believers in Christ Jesus,  at the church where apostate members and non believers are challenging and trying to weaken the underpinning of faith that Jesus is God and Lord and personal savior of each believer's soul. The author of the letter to this church has narrowed his address to the true believers there, again mostly Jews familiar with the Hebrew Bible. He reassures them by referencing God's oath to (Abram) Abraham and his seed ( singular) Jesus, that  God has now twice given His oath that assures them . Once to (Abram) Abraham and once again  through or by  the Seed ( Singular) of Abraham. Twice God has given and fulfilled His oath for their assurance of their eternal salvation. The letter's author is emphasizing that this is the same promise the same oath in Abraham and in Christ Jesus. They the true believers need not fear the arguments of the rejecters of Christ Jesus, nor have any doubt. They need only retain their assurance of the oath of God of which no oath can be higher.

By extension,  God has given His oath to all that He calls, via God the Holy Spirit, to their salvation that do repent of their sin against God and are turned about to repentance and assurance of eternal salvation under the shed blood of the Lamb of God, Jesus.

The author is appealing to the knowledge of the members and assuring them the promise is the same. It is not a different and conflicting promise as some that are rejecting Christ Jesus have been asserting to them. This letter is also our assurance that it is the oath of God by whom there can be no higher oath given. It is reliable, it is as certain as no other can be, for it is God's word. No other promise, no other assurance can add nor subtract, nor change it. The saints are all reminded of their history and of the promise of history yet to come. For the Jews at the church being addressed, it is not a choice of one promise or another, it is all the same oath given twice by God, fulfilled fully in Christ Jesus who is in heaven  preparing a place for them, and for all believers in His gospel.

They are reminded of the certainty of it for God has condescended to giving His oath upon it being so.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,058
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  5

‘For when God made promise to Abraham, 
because He could swear by no greater, 
He sware by Himself, saying, 
“Surely blessing I will bless thee, 
and multiplying I will multiply thee.”

And so, after He had patiently endured, He obtained the promise.
For men verily swear by the greater: 
and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife.
Wherein God, 
willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise 
the immutability of His counsel, confirmed it by an oath:
That by two immutable things, 
in which it was impossible for God to lie, 
we might have a strong consolation, 

who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:
Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, 
both sure and stedfast, 
and which entereth into that within the veil;
Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, 
made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.’

(Heb 6:13-20)

'And the angel of the LORD 
called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time,
And said, 
“By Myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, 
for because thou hast done this thing, 
and hast not withheld thy son, 
thine only son:
That in blessing I will bless thee, 
and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed 
as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; 
and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;
And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; 
because thou hast obeyed my voice.'

(Gen 22:15-18) 

* Blessing to Abraham and His seed: and through Christ, 'The Seed,' that should come forth from Abraham's seed, all the nations of the earth will yet be blessed.

Praise God! 

Thank you,
In Christ Jesus
Chris