IGNORED

Is wearing jewellery with the cross or crucifix a form of idolatry?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/28/1990

I havn't read the whole Bible throughly yet but I know that it states throughout The Bible including verse Leviticus 26:1 which says "You shall make you no idols nor graven image neither rear you up a standing image neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God". Leviticus 26:1 

I believe that making graven images of things in Heaven & on Earth is also one of the 10 commandments. I think it was the second commandment.

Is wearing jewellery with the cross or crucifix, may it be a necklace, earrings or bracelet etc a form of idolatry? Is doing this going against scripture? I wear a necklace with the cross on it but I am beginning to believe that wearing a cross or owning a statue etc of the cross,  crucifix or even of Jesus alone is committing idolatry. I used to believe that wearing a cross or crucifix around my neck or another form of jewellery was a representation of Jesus dying for our sins but now I am starting to believe that it is the wrong thing to do and I am thinking about removing the cross from my necklace. 

If you believe what I am saying is correct, please explain why and if you believe otherwise , why do you believe that wearing the cross or crucifix is not committing idolatry? 
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Alison_P said:
I havn't read the whole Bible throughly yet but I know that it states throughout The Bible including verse Leviticus 26:1 which says "You shall make you no idols nor graven image neither rear you up a standing image neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God". Leviticus 26:1 

I believe that making graven images of things in Heaven & on Earth is also one of the 10 commandments. I think it was the second commandment.

Is wearing jewellery with the cross or crucifix, may it be a necklace, earrings or bracelet etc a form of idolatry? Is doing this going against scripture? I wear a necklace with the cross on it but I am beginning to believe that wearing a cross or owning a statue etc of the cross,  crucifix or even of Jesus alone is committing idolatry. I used to believe that wearing a cross or crucifix around my neck or another form of jewellery was a representation of Jesus dying for our sins but now I am starting to believe that it is the wrong thing to do and I am thinking about removing the cross from my necklace. 

If you believe what I am saying is correct, please explain why and if you believe otherwise , why do you believe that wearing the cross or crucifix is not committing idolatry? 

No, it is not idolatry.  If you were worshiping the cross or crucifix, that would be idolatry.   

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

I would feel uncomfortable wearing a crucifix (a cross with a figure of Christ on it); I believe this is against the spirit of the second commandment against making images of God (however well-intentioned). But I have no problem with an empty cross - the same symbol, but without the image.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

I particularly like the 'cross arm'. That is what Yeshua carried. The upright portion was the 'tree' or fixed post. Some forms of crucifixion just hauled up the cross-arm with person attached. The upright portion remained and was in most cases too substantial to move every-time it was used.

When people just wear a cross arm, you know they understand.

"Literary sources giving insight into the history of crucifixion indicate that Roman crucifixion methods had the condemned person carry to the execution site only the crossbar. Wood was scarce and the vertical pole was kept stationary and used repeatedly."

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/biblical-topics/crucifixion/roman-crucifixion-methods-reveal-the-history-of-crucifixion/

P.s. to answer the OP. Anything might become an idol. Even wearing our 'humility' on our sleeve. I guess rather than list the possible idols we should consider how NOT to make anything an idol...and hold Yahweh the highest in our esteem.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

No, wearing a cross (ressurection) or crucifix (Jesus’ sacrifice) is not idolatry because in both cases it honors and points to the Lord God not to gods like Baal, Rephan, Ishtar and etc (really fallen angels see Genesis 6:4-11, Revelation 12:7-12). 

The cross or crucifix represents your faith in The Lord Jesus Christ (Romans 10:9-10, Phillipians 2:1-11) and is symbol of what God has done for mankind by making propitiation for sin. 

There are many references to the cross in the positive: 

May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which[a] the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.” (Galatians 6:14) 

“Jesus said, And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.” (Matthew 10:38)

Then Jesus said to all of them, “If anyone would come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me.” (Luke 9:23)

For, as I have often told you before and now tell you again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ.” (Philippians 3:18)

For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.” (1 Corinthians 1:18)

”By canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.” (Colossians 2:14)

And through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.” (Colossians 1:20)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,543
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

On 5/21/2018 at 12:56 AM, Alison_P said:

Shalom, Alison_P.

If one is trusting in that cross or crucifix at all for anything, then sure it is. What is ironic is that it was a Roman form of EXECUTION! Would you wear an electric chair as an emblem around your neck?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

Shalom Alison_P,

It's an interesting question as the symbol of the cross can be taken in different ways. 

However, ultimately I think it comes down to this - you either wear a cross as a reminder to you, as a statement to others or as a protective charm.

1. If you wear as a reminder to you: This should not be so. God and His word should be on your mind several times throughout the day, if not all the time. If the crucifix is there to remind you, work at keeping God and Jesus in your mind without needing to see the crucifix. 
  2. If you wear it as a statement to others: This should not be so. A cross around the neck is not accepted by non-believers as a respectable statement. To Jews it can be seen as a symbol to beware of! How is this doing any good? Our "light" should shine forth to let people know who we are, that is, our kind deeds and loving ways. We should act so respectable and loving that people want to ask us "Hey, what is your secret?"
  3. If you wear it as a protective charm: This should not be so. Don't believe the movies. Demons would have no issue confronting you and a little piece of shaped metal. Your faith and His name is your defence, not a crucifix.

Therefore, in all these reasons, wearing a cross is unnecessary and in some instances a hindrance to others. It's nice to have a "thing" to wear to show your faith, but it should really be "good deeds" that we put on.  

Love & Shalom to you

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,371
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

17 minutes ago, Cletus said:

things only really have the power or importance we give them. such as a stock or a stone that does not speak or hear but men have bowed down to it and said hear me....

Right on.

Many people has crosses stuck to their car visors ect. as maybe a charm or good luck type of thing and they really don't worship it as such, just have it sitting there. But  wait, the minute a little fender bender or a more serious accident takes place and they would cling to that cross a little more.  Yet the more, they still aren't worshiping the cross, but they just want something to represent their unseen God.  This may even lead to then placing a representative statue in their home as a form of security, but this is how the ball gets rolling and in adversity, they eventually see it as saviors and cling to them even more. Idolatry may start out as a subtle thing, but eventually it moths ball into objects of worship.  This is how satan comes in, as an angel of light or wolf in sheep clothing.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Do what you want to do regarding cross, ichthys, crucifix , or grafted in symbol . Be assured you will offend someone regardless of what you do. Just know what you understand for yourself.

I like the grafted in symol the combination  of Menorah star of David and cross myself. I thinking of getting an all black tattoo of it. My sweet wife loves her Lamb and Lion on a Star of David necklace.

Enjoy, celebrate, be of good cheer in the name of our Lord and savior Jesus.

ps-Never let the Grinch steal Christmas either.

• Thumbs Up 1