IGNORED

Is wearing jewellery with the cross or crucifix a form of idolatry?

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

On 5/20/2018 at 11:56 PM, Alison_P said:
I haven't read the whole Bible thoroughly yet but I know that it states throughout The Bible including verse Leviticus 26:1 which says "You shall make you no idols nor graven image neither rear you up a standing image neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God". Leviticus 26:1 

I believe that making graven images of things in Heaven & on Earth is also one of the 10 commandments. I think it was the second commandment.

Is wearing jewelry with the cross or crucifix, may it be a necklace, earrings or bracelet etc a form of idolatry? Is doing this going against scripture? I wear a necklace with the cross on it but I am beginning to believe that wearing a cross or owning a statue etc of the cross, crucifix or even of Jesus alone is committing idolatry. I used to believe that wearing a cross or crucifix around my neck or another form of jewelry was a representation of Jesus dying for our sins but now I am starting to believe that it is the wrong thing to do and I am thinking about removing the cross from my necklace. 

If you believe what I am saying is correct, please explain why and if you believe otherwise , why do you believe that wearing the cross or crucifix is not committing idolatry? 

:)

A New Car
A New Pair Of Shoes
A New House With New Furniture
Great Health And A Daily Gym And Swim Workout 

For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 1 Corinthians 1:17-18

Anything Could Be A Source Of Great Pride And Self-Worship (IMO)

But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world. Galatians 6:14

~

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

4 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Enjoy, celebrate, be of good cheer in the name of our Lord and savior Jesus. Never let the Grinch steal Christmas either.

?

lol~!

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Amen~!

:emot-heartbeat:

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Many people today wear a cross only because of the fashion aspect of it. It is ok to wear a cross if you are wearing it to show your love for the Lord. The true change should take place in the heart. It is not necessarily idolatry. 

Edited by missmuffet
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

Most have favor of the cross to wearing a crucifix. Neither are idolatry. The Catholic faith takes it a bit far, as kissing the rosary is a pretty common practice. Then again, witchcraft seeps through their rites and rituals. It was never intended to be this way at all. 

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  0

Stone, wood, arts of many kinds are good things in and of themselves. It is when we promote them and give them power to influence us more than God influences us that we have crossed over from worshipping the Creator to worshipping the created. Then they become idols instead of interests.

• Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  59
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Coliseum said:

...It is when we promote them and give them power to influence us more than God influences us that we have crossed over from worshipping the Creator to worshipping the created. Then they become idols instead of interests.

Yeah, I think that's a fair way of understanding what idolatry is: when something takes a place in your life that should be reserved for God alone.

It's pretty easy to understand why it was a rule that ancient Israel couldn't make graven images of anything. Everyone around them was making idols out of images, and they clearly were tempted to copy what the other nations were doing, so it was better to just remove the possibility of temptation. I guess we tend to think of ourselves as more enlightened now, less easily tempted to follow after superstitions. But if film is any indication of what the world thinks icons are to Christians, I sometimes can't help but wonder how much modern superstition and actual idolatry could have been avoided if, over the centuries, Christians had decided to alienate themselves from iconography. How others might perceive those icons is something we might think about when deciding to wear icons or not. We may be intending to send an innocent message, but we can't control what message is actually received, so the conscience of others is a valid consideration (i.e., 1 Cor 10).

Edited by GreyJay
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Idolatry is bowing down and worshiping something. We only worship God and nothing else. 

• This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

Somebody needs to figure out a way to make a necklace that has an Empty Tomb portrayed....maybe the stone where the Body Of Jesus was lain with the folded clothes atop them....engrave somewhere on that stone bed... “He Is Risen”....... our Faith is all about that Resurrection , not the instrument of torture.....

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

20 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Somebody needs to figure out a way to make a necklace that has an Empty Tomb portrayed....maybe the stone where the Body Of Jesus was lain with the folded clothes atop them....engrave somewhere on that stone bed... “He Is Risen”....... our Faith is all about that Resurrection , not the instrument of torture.....

amazon.com

614rfQyFAgL._UY625_.jpg

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

3 hours ago, other one said:

amazon.com

Looks like an excellent conversation starter. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1