IGNORED

Is wearing jewellery with the cross or crucifix a form of idolatry?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  125
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,082
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

since no one is bowing down to worship people wearing a cross it is not idolatry.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

I occasionally like to wear a plain cross.  It represents the risen Christ to me.  I don't bow down to it or pray to it.  

• This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

There is nothing wrong with sticks and stones, jewelry, being a good preacher, or having good morals. None of those things in and of themselves are bad. It is only when we promote something and give it power over us that we have chosen to worship what was created instead of worshipping the Creator. The question I ask myself is "Can I give up anything God wants me to"? If not, I have created an idol.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

40 minutes ago, Coliseum said:

"Can I give up anything God wants me to"? If not, I have created an idol.

Good point. Anything can become a stigma to overcome or surrender. 

• Well Said! 1

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

On 5/20/2018 at 11:56 PM, Alison_P said:
I havn't read the whole Bible throughly yet but I know that it states throughout The Bible including verse Leviticus 26:1 which says "You shall make you no idols nor graven image neither rear you up a standing image neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God". Leviticus 26:1 

I believe that making graven images of things in Heaven & on Earth is also one of the 10 commandments. I think it was the second commandment.

Is wearing jewelry with the cross or crucifix, may it be a necklace, earrings or bracelet etc. a form of idolatry? Is doing this going against scripture? I wear a necklace with the cross on it but I am beginning to believe that wearing a cross or owning a statue etc. of the cross,  crucifix or even of Jesus alone is committing idolatry. I used to believe that wearing a cross or crucifix around my neck or another form of jewelry was a representation of Jesus dying for our sins but now I am starting to believe that it is the wrong thing to do and I am thinking about removing the cross from my necklace. 

If you believe what I am saying is correct, please explain why and if you believe otherwise , why do you believe that wearing the cross or crucifix is not committing idolatry? 

:sherlock:

But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. Galatians 6:14 (English Standard Version)

:emot-heartbeat:

Love, Joe

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,488
  • Content Per Day:  1.43

On 5/21/2018 at 12:56 AM, Alison_P said:
I havn't read the whole Bible throughly yet but I know that it states throughout The Bible including verse Leviticus 26:1 which says "You shall make you no idols nor graven image neither rear you up a standing image neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God". Leviticus 26:1 

I believe that making graven images of things in Heaven & on Earth is also one of the 10 commandments. I think it was the second commandment.

Is wearing jewellery with the cross or crucifix, may it be a necklace, earrings or bracelet etc a form of idolatry? Is doing this going against scripture? I wear a necklace with the cross on it but I am beginning to believe that wearing a cross or owning a statue etc of the cross,  crucifix or even of Jesus alone is committing idolatry. I used to believe that wearing a cross or crucifix around my neck or another form of jewellery was a representation of Jesus dying for our sins but now I am starting to believe that it is the wrong thing to do and I am thinking about removing the cross from my necklace. 

If you believe what I am saying is correct, please explain why and if you believe otherwise , why do you believe that wearing the cross or crucifix is not committing idolatry? 

Alison,

Look up the Brasen Serpent in scripture. This figure was a blessing to Israel, but became an idol over time as people began to worship it. 2 Kings 18:4 speaks of this, and how Hezekiah had to brake it into pieces because they began to worship this serpent. Jesus even used this as an example of the Cross that he would be hung on.And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: (John 3:14)

The cross CAN become the same to some people. You are by no means sinning if you wear a cross, But when you begin to worship the cross as opposed to the one who Hung on the cross to save us you falling into an early form of idolatry. The Catholic church is especially ripe with this sort of idolatry, such as Rosary beads, alters with a crucifix, so much so that line becomes blurred between worshipping God and Idolatry.

As such I have chosen Not to wear a cross, and instead if people ask me why I am different, I can tell them because of the One who is in me. How you live your life is a better symbol than anything we can wear around our neck. Instead of putting on the cross, put on the new man... And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. (Eph. 4:24)

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  142
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

I have often wondered how things may have unfolded if Messiah lived, died and was resurrected in our current time. 

If it turned out that he was executed in a different way such as a gun for example, would people wear gun symbols around their necks? Would they sings songs in their places of worship such as "How I love that old gun?" 

Would must every church have a gun symbol in a prominent place in their sanctuary? 

A few years ago the fad WWJD was everywhere. What if we were to ask ourselves questions such as what would Peter, John or Paul do? That could be a good starting point.

For example, would those guys be wearing crosses? What holidays would they be celebrating? What would be their rest day?

These questions can actually be answered pretty easily. Most people are more attached to their inherited customs and invested in their current cultural thinking than they are truly interested in truly finding out WWJD. For when we consider what he and his followers celebrated, ate, etc. most of what he would observe today would be unrecognizable? Not necessarily unrecognizable to the pagans though. Food for thought....

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

5 minutes ago, Paradigm said:

If it turned out that he was executed in a different way such as a gun for example, would people wear gun symbols around their necks? Would they sings songs in their places of worship such as "How I love that old gun?" 

Bro, do you really think we as Christians would actually do this? 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

On 5/21/2018 at 12:56 AM, Alison_P said:

Is wearing jewellery with the cross or crucifix, may it be a necklace, earrings or bracelet etc a form of idolatry? Is doing this going against scripture? I wear a necklace with the cross on it but I am beginning to believe that wearing a cross or owning a statue etc of the cross,  crucifix or even of Jesus alone is committing idolatry. I used to believe that wearing a cross or crucifix around my neck or another form of jewellery was a representation of Jesus dying for our sins but now I am starting to believe that it is the wrong thing to do and I am thinking about removing the cross from my necklace. 

First, I would follow whatever belief system of whatever Christian congregation you are in.   Different groups, have different beliefs, none of which violate Biblical doctrine.  I would work to be part of your Christian group.

That said, my personal view, is when you make an image of G-d.   Or an image of Jesus.   When you make shrines and such, where it is the image of a saint, or an image of something like that.

What do I base that on?

Well there has to be a line somewhere, and logically if every 'engraved image' meaning just any engraved image is bad....  then my parents lamps, are evil.  They are... in effect... engraved images.  Right?  It's a lamp, with wood, and carvings, that have a picture.

Are lamps evil?  Is this the great sin G-d was trying to get us to avoid?   Obviously no.

So that leaves us with where does the line get crossed.   And it seems that what G-d was talking about what idolatry.  That's when you have pictures of saints you pray to, and shrines, and so on.

So statues and pictures of Jesus, or Mary, or any other saint... those I believe are bad.  That's where the line is in my view.

So a cross, is not an idol, but rather a symbol of the Christian faith. That's why it says take up your cross and follow him.  It says preaching the cross is foolish to those dying.  Jesus cancelled every debt, nailing it to the cross.
Over and over, the cross is a symbol of Christian faith.

But at the same time, you make an engraved image of Jesus on the cross, then I think you crossed into an idol.  We have no idea what Jesus really looked like, and so we're just making an idol.

So I have no problem with jewellery, but I do have a problem with engraved Jesus.

That's my view.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  142
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

21 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

Bro, do you really think we as Christians would actually do this? 

I think my questions shine the light on the answer. Can any reasonable argument be made that my scenario of wearing a gun or singing about them would be wrong  while at the same time justifying current practices related to the cross? 

I believe when we objectively consider the scenario of replacing the cross with most any other symbol of execution, it reveals much. It illustrates a great contrast with the practices of believers in the Bible.