New Trend or Am I Just Catching Up?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,051
  • Content Per Day:  15.58
  • Days Won:  0

I listen to a lot of Christian music.  Lately, I've noticed some questionable theological points in a few songs by mostly new artists, but not entirely.  Has anyone else noticed this or is this just me?

Linked article on this subject: Old Example from 2004

• Thumbs Up 3

Guest Butero

It is a problem.  There are some songs with questionable lyrics in all Christian music, but it seems far more widespread in contemporary than southern gospel.  

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

Onward, Christian Soldiers 
By Sabine Baring-Gould

Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war, 
With the cross of Jesus going on before.
Christ, the royal Master, leads against the foe;
Forward into battle see His banners go!

Problem: Though subsequent verses make it clear that the "battle" is against sin and the devil, some Christians feel uncomfortable with this hymn's martial tone. http://www.beliefnet.com/entertainment/music/2004/02/sacred-songs-gone-wrong-you-decide.aspx

:emot-heartbeat:

The Master's Voice

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. Matthew 10:34

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

53 minutes ago, FresnoJoe said:

Onward, Christian Soldiers 
By Sabine Baring-Gould

Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war, 
With the cross of Jesus going on before.
Christ, the royal Master, leads against the foe;
Forward into battle see His banners go!

Problem: Though subsequent verses make it clear that the "battle" is against sin and the devil, some Christians feel uncomfortable with this hymn's martial tone. http://www.beliefnet.com/entertainment/music/2004/02/sacred-songs-gone-wrong-you-decide.aspx

:emot-heartbeat:

The Master's Voice

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. Matthew 10:34

Love, Your Brother Joe

I think in order to judge a  hymn or a song or even a book, you must consider the time in which it was written. 

• Thumbs Up 1

East To West
(Casting Crowns, Hall, Mark; Herms, Bernie, August 28, 2007)

Here I am, Lord, and I'm drowning in your sea of forgetfulness
The chains of yesterday surround me
I yearn for peace and rest
I don't want to end up where You found me
And it echoes in my mind, keeps me awake tonight
I know You've cast my sin as far as the east is from the west
And I stand before You now as though I've never sinned
But today I feel like I'm just one mistake away from You leaving me this way

Jesus, can You show me just how far the east is from the west
'cause I can't bear to see the man I've been come rising up in me again
In the arms of Your mercy I find rest
'cause You know just how far the east is from the west
From one scarred hand to the other

I start the day, the war begins, endless reminding of my sin
Time and time again Your truth is drowned out by the storm I'm in
Today I feel like I'm just one mistake away from You leaving me this way

I know You've washed me white, turned my darkness into light
I need Your peace to get me through, to get me through this night
I can't live by what I feel, but by the truth Your word reveals
I'm not holding on to You, but You're holding on to me
You're holding on to me

Jesus, You know just how far the east is from the west
I don't have to see the man I've been come rising up in me again
In the arms of Your mercy I find rest
'cause You know just how far the east is from the west
One scarred hand to the other

This song is based on this verse: Psalms 103:12  As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us.  The problem with some believers is that they allow the enemy to taunt them with sins that God has already forgiven.  If a person is fighting a war with being reminded of their past forgiven sins everyday, they likely have not understood the Gospel message or have not really repented of those sins.  This song is more of a personal testimony and should not be sung as a worship song in the assembly of believers.  Not every believer can sing this because those who truly know the grace of God have left the past behind and stand against the enemy when he tries to bring those sins up again.  One problem that causes this situation is methodologies like Cleansing Stream and Theopostics which get people to drag up past sins and dwell on them when true believers need to "let go and let God".  You cannot move forward in serving God if you are allowing the enemy to taunt you with past sins.  I am glad the author does acknowledge that he does need to change and that Jesus Christ died for his sins in the chorus.  This is a good song for those who call themselves followers of Christ to think about if they are dealing with past sins still weighing them down.  If they are, however, they should not be singing about it but follow what the Bible says:

Romans 6:6  knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.
Ephesians 4:22  that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts,

Of course to say that God will leave you and forsake you over one sin is not biblical.  In fact He died for our sins while we were yet sinners.

Romans 5:8  But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Hebrews 13:5  Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."

It is true that if those who call themselves followers of Christ have never repented of their sins or live in unrepentant lifestyle sin, then they need to test themselves to see if they are in the Faith.

1 John 3:9  No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
1 John 3:4  Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness.
2 Corinthians 13:5  Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you...unless indeed you fail the test?

Source: http://deceptioninthechurch.com/worshipsongratings.html#c

I do not believe Mark Hall and the other writer intended this to be a worship song sung in Church.  But more of an outreach to those of us who feel we are not good enough, not fully realizing that grace covers ALL sins to those who seek Jesus and the redemption from sins He brings.  Jesus will not turn His back on us, nor will one of His sheep be lost.  He is the Good Shepherd.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cory Asbury has a current popular song titled "The Reckless Love of God", or something like that.  I have a problem with ever calling God's love reckless.  Cory Asbury said, "When I used the phrase, 'the reckless love of God,' when we say it, we're not saying that God Himself is reckless, He's not crazy. We are, however, saying that the way He loves, is in many regards, quite so." 

I don't believe this is a theological sound concept.  God doesn't have to do things in a reckless manner to accomplish His word.  He chose us before the foundations of our universe.  How can that be reckless?  I can see some CCM confusing some people not grounded in the Christian Faith.

This subject was brought up before on this or maybe some other Christian forum I visited.  I dismissed it then but I never forgot it.  It makes a lot more sense to me now and I will be watchful of the teaching and as well as the music I feed my spirit.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,163
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

On 5/30/2018 at 9:21 AM, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

I listen to a lot of Christian music.  Lately, I've noticed some questionable theological points in a few songs by mostly new artists, but not entirely.  Has anyone else noticed this or is this just me?

That's not a new trend, especially for "contemporary" music. I've noticed the bad theology (and the single sentence repeated endlessly) for some time. Butero has a good point in that this is not quite so widespread in southern gospel as in other genres.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,517
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Music is worship, it is emotion, it is praise to God, it is not an all encompassing doctrine. It does need to be correct in that it does not promote disunity with the message of the faith of Jesus, but it cannot be held up to withstand attack over what it does not cover.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,517
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Music is one of if not the chief cause of splits of local church bodies. Has been least as far back as dispute over musical instruments, Martin Luther having called the organ the devil's instrument.

Have some pity if not mercy upon the local church music director or leader who faces endless opinion of many about the worship of the local body. The music director faces the endless questions/challenges from why just old dirges, to what  is this drums who ever heard of drums in a church,  to where is the pipe organ why do we not have a pipe organ anymore? Pretty soon there is the  self appointed church "barrister" seeking support  for the cause of demanding a change or many if not all will leave.

Personally I favor a variety of worship tones and songs of worship. Some bring me to tears from the emotion of them, others make me move to the rhythm of happiness in praise of God.

I did spend a year or slightly more in the Church of Christ where there were rules galore especially for music, including no instruments, yet  for each song the  "leader" raised pitch pipe to mouth and sounded  out the pitch for that song. That used to crack me up! But I was on pitch when I sang, or at least I knew it if I wasn't on pitch, it just took an instrument to let me know. Too bad we couldn't have a drum  so that we would keep rhythm.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:21 PM, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

It's always been an issue. Heck, Grab any church hymnal and check out the theology in some of the centuries old songs. Some are good. Some are spot on. Some are iffy. Some are downright screwy. :)

• Thumbs Up 1