Calvinism and Freewill

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I have a relative who is interested in the Calvinistic point of view. From what I understand, this perspective tells us that God chooses who will or will not be saved. This would infer that we do not have freewill, because God gives you the faith of belief and not of ourselves. Can some people believe with all their heart that they are Christians and saved, even though God has not chosen them, according the the Calvinistic point of view?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

My advice is research calvin.    And by that I mean the way he ran things was very non christain .   An example .   Say I came and taught doctrine

but at the same time I had men killed .   Would you THINK I followed Christ .    IF I had anyone killed for any reason ,  I would be no follower of Christ .

We don't need this extra doctrinal stuff.     All we need to KNOW is JESUS saves ,   IF you believe in HIM  from the heart ,  confess him with the mouth .   You saved .

Don't worry about things or concern ourselves with things TOO HIGH for us .    Just keep it simple .  JESUS saves,  KEEP that message  , tell it to all

and feast on sound bible doctrine by which one is made wise unto salvation through faith in Christ .    Lets just keep it simple .

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,411
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, SmoothRiverFlow said:

I have a relative who is interested in the Calvinistic point of view. From what I understand, this perspective tells us that God chooses who will or will not be saved. This would infer that we do not have freewill, because God gives you the faith of belief and not of ourselves. Can some people believe with all their heart that they are Christians and saved, even though God has not chosen them, according the the Calvinistic point of view?

You have just phrased this question in a way that really points to Calvinism vs Arminianism debate,  that has  frustrated many saints. There are scriptures that points both ways and it all depends on the individual and how the Lord has spoken to him in his heart.   This is how I address it anyways.

Romans 3 King James Version (KJV)

What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;

10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

13 Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:

14 Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:

15 Their feet are swift to shed blood:

16 Destruction and misery are in their ways:

17 And the way of peace have they not known:

18 There is no fear of God before their eyes.

19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

Romans 10 King James Version (KJV)

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Edited by warrior12

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,243
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

51 minutes ago, Yowm said:

What Calvinists will say is that man is free to choose..that is..he will choose according to His fallen nature which is totally depraved (as they say) and thus will reject God, and it therefore takes a divine intervention of God to save a person. They conclude therefore God must choose certain people to salvation otherwise all would be saved.

I believe they overlook the power inherent in the Gospel message to quicken a person sufficiently to make a choice to either reject or accept Jesus Christ crucified for our sins.

Calvinists would say only the elect can believe with all their heart and thus be saved.

they overlook the power inherent in the Gospel message (the Word) to quicken a person sufficiently to make a choice  

Huge oversight!

• Oy Vey! 1

Guest shiloh357
4 hours ago, SmoothRiverFlow said:

The notion that God chooses who will or will not be saved is false teaching and does not exist in the whole of Scripture.  The Bible says that God wants all men to be saved (I Tim. 2:4).   He is not willing that anyone should perish but desires that all men come to repentance (II Pet. 3:9).   The 'limited atonement'  of Calvinism is false teaching, to be honest.   

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  12/08/1950

Shiloh you are absolutely right!  Nothing more to add.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

9 hours ago, SmoothRiverFlow said:

Welcome. Calvin was one sick puppy - enough said.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,062
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

In order to hold judgment upon something -that thing (whatever) must have responsibility of being

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,184
  • Content Per Day:  1.44

Any teaching or doctrine that ascribes any evil to or in God, is a doctrine or teaching in error. For God is eternaly good, always has been, always will be. For He is perfect in all His ways. 

Much love in Christ, Not me

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  475
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,556
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Days Won:  9

It takes the holy spirit to draw someone to God. But men can resist the holy spiritm.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1