traveller

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

This has been bothering me. Why is the re-naming of Jacob to Israel in Gen 32:28 amd then again in Gen 35:10?

George? Timothy?

:D

Guest EPHRIAM777
This has been bothering me. Why is the re-naming of Jacob to Israel in Gen 32:28 amd then again in Gen 35:10?

I think it's just God saying it to him again...No special message..As gen 35:20:21 points out the name was basically interchangeable for him at that time...!

The important thing to remember is WHO did Jacob/Israel GIVE the name Israel to after he would die...THAT can be found in Gen 48:16..."bless the lads and let WHAT..???

Thanks Eph.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  572
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

Also interesting is that the LORD later calls him Jacob, after twice saying that he would no longer be known by that name;

Genesis 46:2 And God spake unto Israel in the visions of the night, and said, Jacob, Jacob. And he said, Here am I.

Guest Warrior FC

Jacob = supplanter

Israel = contender with God

I believe it is the same as when God gave Peter his new name and the others in the bible, they would often go back to the "old name" or "old man" and God is reminding them to put on the "new name" or "New man". .

When we forget the new creation that we are, I believe God will call us by the "old name" or "old man" when we are acting again as the "OLD NAME" OR "OLD MAN" and remind us of the "NEW NAME" or "NEW MAN" that we are!

Guest EPHRIAM777

Remember Psalm 46:7..46:11 says..!

The God of JACOB is our refuge..!

It doesn't say the God of Israel..!

Israel is the NEW man..Jacob is the OLD man...!

IF the God of Israel (new man)..is our refuge then we ALL need to change first before we get the blessing from God..!

But thank God..that it is the OLD man..the "Jacob" type man..the unfinshed..not yet changed man..That takes refuge in God..and GOD does the changing..for us..!

God wrestled with Jacob all night..and it's important to know that Jacob didn't know it was God..He thought it was a MAN he was wrestling with..GEN 32:24:30.....Not till God popped his thigh out of joint and crippled him for the rest of his life did Jacob realise it wasn't a man..it was God...

Jacob could only hang on to God at the end ( like a boxer out of gas in the last round just hangs on for dear life )...Only then did Jacob agree to let go...but only once God blessed him..( Jacob was hanging on now to God IN FAITH )..Come hell or high water Jacob wasn't gonna let God go till God blessed him..!

""While we were yet sinners""...the Bible says....He whispered your name..!

Nowadays...Israel could get elected to any board of directors at a church..

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  41
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I tend to agree with Ephriam. We *need* to know that Jacob,

the Supplanter, was saved. We can identify with the sinner/supplanter, and it is a wondrerful comfort to know that *even* Jacob can be saved. :D

"The God of JACOB is our refuge..!

It doesn't say the God of Israel..!

Israel is the NEW man..Jacob is the OLD man...!

IF the God of Israel (new man)..is our refuge then we ALL need to change first before we get the blessing from God..!

But thank God..that it is the OLD man..the "Jacob" type man..the unfinshed..not yet changed man..That takes refuge in God..and GOD does the changing..for us..!"

• 15 years later...

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:24 PM, Abby-Joy said:

Interesting topic, and interesting how nice people were in Worthy's earlier days.... 

Lil abby you are both loved and missed.    I aint seen ya on the site in a few days or more.   Be blessed

• Thumbs Up 1