• Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  5

Therefore shall a man 
leave his father and his mother, 
and shall cleave unto his wife: 
and they shall be one flesh.’

(Gen 2:24)

Hello there, 

*This is the latest verse that has been entered in a thread in, 'The Study Section,' where members work through a Bible book, taking turns to enter the next verse in line, for consideration and thought.  While entering it, my eyes alighted upon the words, 'leave', and 'cleave', and I thought how, in both the marriage relationship, and in the believer's relationship with their Lord, these two words are of importance. 

* I remember that at one time, the word 'cleave' took on a special importance for me, and I delighted in it, in relation to my relationship with Christ, for I read that it's meaning can be likened to ivy 'cleaving' to a tree, to the extent that it is bonded inextricably to it.  Though having an independent source of nutrients through it's roots, it is supported by the tree in it's search for light which is so vital to the life of both. 

* In the marriage vows the bride is asked to, 'cleave ye unto him' (her husband) 'as long as ye both shall live', in so doing, the eyes and heart will be engaged in seeking to be a 'help-meet' in the marriage relationship (Gen.2:20), and both, 'leave' their father's house and 'cleave' to each other.  From that supportive central committed focus, the family of both can have a place, but the allegiance must be to each other. Supporting one another, as each performs the tasks necessary for daily living.  Earning a living, running a home, bringing up children, caring for each other, 'in sickness and in health'.

* If that 'leaving' (physically and mentally) does not take place, problems can arise, can't they, for the mind and heart are divided. Also, if the act of 'cleaving' (physically, mentally and emotionally) is not engaged upon and maintained, again it can be a root cause of marriage fracture.

* Like the ivy, which draws sustenance through it's roots, from the ground beneath the tree, so we as members of the Church which is the Body of Christ, are rooted and grounded in His love. That love which manifested itself so dearly in that He laid down His life for us that we might live.

‘For this cause 
I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
Of whom the whole family
(‘families‘ - plural) 
in heaven and earth is named,
That He would grant you, 
according to the riches of His glory, 
to be strengthened with might by His Spirit in the inner man;
That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; 
that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
May be able to comprehend with all saints 
what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
And to know the love of Christ, 
which passeth knowledge, 
that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
Now unto Him that is able to do 
exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, 
according to the power that worketh in us,
Unto HIM be glory in the church 
by Christ Jesus 
throughout all ages, 
world without end. 
Amen.’

(Eph 3:14-21)  

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris