• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,524
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi all, sorry to bring back memories of schools attended, but I cannot resist:

Remember, if you took marketing or merchandising back in the day or even  those introductory psychology classes? There was that series of test questions about Festinger's Theory; cognitive dissonance at play with it's advantage given to the player that knows the game well. It is the father of the post sell so often used in the past thirty years or so in advertising and mailings to those that have already bought in, to further instill confidence in the decision already made, and to also encourage rejection of all that does not agree with that decision.

It is so much fun to "see', as one reads the endless arguing about this point and that one on threads, the theory playing out in practice. It gets much like the old Pee Wee Herman line, "I know you are, but what am I?"with no one moving to much greater enlightenment, and no real iron sharpening iron occurring, just a lot of sounding brasslike noise being made in desperate effort to retain that which one has already accepted with rejection of anything that may bring into question it's validity.

Somehow the theory seems to escape seeing pride, self pride, though it surely shines light on it.  An odd dissonance in of itself I think. Pride limits learning and mutual enlightenment. Sometimes it wins the day, but it surely does so at a high price that of not gaining company and fellowship.

https://web.mst.edu/~psyworld/general/dissonance/dissonance.pdf

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

All too easy to see, at least in the posts made by “others”!

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,524
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Yes others,... but it is interesting to me how "even I"  mock those Chevy truck ads, and absorb with a nod the Ford ones now that a decision has been made regarding such a mundane thing as selecting  a vehicle for use.

I'd like to think enlightenment prevails in all my own thinking (LOL), but I do remember one error where I would only receive that which agreed with my own conclusion and reject all that showed me otherwise. Yet God turned me about too. He turned this most confident atheist in a flash, a near twinkling, come the time He would have me turned about in the reveal of Jesus who is God through the call by  God the Holy Spirit. And talk about post selling, why a whole epic book of it came to light, and all of creation is seen anew.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,047
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

There is only one approach to God's Word and the study thereof... Scripture decidedly affirms the need of diligent study but one must be born again(born from above) in order to accept original concepts hidden by the darkness that is here! The very fact that there is a total reliance upon God to lead us in His Word  effectually removes the sin of pride and puffed up being... We in actual experiential matters of heart do become members of another place where are sensual means of discovery is non-effect... It is a renewing of mind yet waiting upon sensual fulfillment

1 Cor 2:9-14

9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
KJV

Truly examined one finds this the pure and undefiled religion solely of perfect faith formed from essence of God's Word

Heb 11:1-3
 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.

3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
KJV