Discerning how the Holy Spirit speaks

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Precious Holy Spirit in the name of Jesus , I ask that you open the hearts and minds of all that wants to understand and hear what You are saying to them. I also ask that you hide me in the palms of your hands so that men will see that I'm just a vessel that you use for the glory of Jesus Christ our Lord , Amen.

Hearing the Holy Spirit speak is something that doesn't happen over night. It's going to cost you something and sadly this is where most Christians draw the line. They don't want to take a little bit of time each day to learn how to hear the Holy Spirit speak to them. They're to busy with worldly desires and pleasures. As I explained, it's going to take time to discern the voice of the Holy Spirit and it's going to take a humble spirit ( Jer. 29: 12-13 )

Based on Bible Scripture were going to learn some of the ways the Holy Spirit speaks to us. ( John 16: 13-14 ). We already have the Holy Spirit living inside of us once we become saved , so the rest is up to us.

Most of the time the Holy Spirit speaks to us through Scripture. By reading and studying the Bible your spirit retains all the Scripture verses you are reading. Sometimes as your reading a particular verse or verses the scripture becomes alive. The Holy Spirit illuminates your understanding and you know, that you know, and you don't need anyone to tell you what it means. Also as your spirit retains God's Word the Holy Spirit will reveal a certain scripture that you might have forgotten , maybe years ago, to help you when you are having problems in a certain area of your life ( 2Tim. 2:15 ).

God has made all of us in a unique way. Each of us must listen to God in the way that He chooses to deal with us. One of those ways is known as the inner witness or the inner knowing ( Proverbs 20:27 ). This is the Lord speaking to us through our conscience, check in your spirit, a leading, or a quickening ( Rom. 8:16 and Rom. 9:1 ). When the Holy Spirit speaks to you it will be a strong inner knowing. Suddenly you receive a supernatural illumination, an enlightment, of what a scripture means or how the Holy Spirit is trying to help you with a problem . It will be as the old expression goes, I know, that I know, that I know, without a shadow of a doubt or I've got a gut felling to do something or not to do something.

In addition to receiving a direct message from the Lord, the Holy Spirit can lead us a certain way. This is commonly referred to as a prompting or unction. We feel or sense that the Holy Spirit is gently nudging us to do something. Sometimes we can also feel a very strong unction or prompting from the Lord as He leads us to go in one direction or another ( Matt. 4:1 ) ; ( Rom. 8:14 ).

Just as the Holy Spirit leads us in a certain direction, He can also do the opposite. When we pick up on this from the Holy Spirit , it's generally known as a check in your spirit. This is like a stop sign. The Lord is telling us not to go down that path. These checks keeps us from making all kinds of mistakes in this life. A good example of receiving a check in your spirit can be found in ( Acts 16: 16-67 ).

I know that most of you are familiar with the term a quickening from the Holy Spirit. A quickening is when the Holy Spirit causes something to jump out at you. You maybe reading the Bible and suddenly a verse or verses will seem like they jump off of the pages and you get a supernatural understanding of what the Holy Spirit is conveying to you. The Holy Spirit sometimes will use preachers, small study groups, worship songs, and even the things God created on the Earth to say something to us. We must remember, not to go looking for these quickening, but to let the Holy Spirit give them to you according to His will ( Heb. 4: 12 )

There are moments throughout the day when the Holy Spirit is speaking to us through our conscience, or mind. To be able to hear and understand is by practicing, by reason of use. In other words the Holy Spirit will put something good into your mind that you normally wouldn't conjure up yourself ( Rom. 9:1 ). This is where your faith comes in to play ( 2 Cor. 5:7 ; Gal. 2:20 ; Heb. 10:38 ; Heb. 11:6 ; and 2 Peter 1:5 ). Stepping out in faith when the Holy Spirit speaks is like when we first learned to walk, ride a bicycle, or drive a car. If we make a mistake the Lord isn't going to punish us. He simply picks us up, dusts us off, and says no my child this is the way to go ( Matt. 11:29 and Psalms 37: 23-24 ).

Brothers and Sisters, I pray that all of you will seek the Holy Spirit to help you. Our Lord Jesus said, that He will ask the Father, and He will send the Holy Spirit to us ( John 16: 13-14 ). The Holy Spirit is waiting for you with open arms. Salvation isn't all there is to serving the Lord. If you don't seek Him you will never know the love, joy, happiness, peace, and spiritual understanding that He gives. You'll only know what the world and the flesh gives. May our Lord Jesus Christ Bless All of You. AMEN.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  10/29/1981

Billiards ball has got a good idea on this.

Edited by HumbleServantofChrist

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

There IS a place where Christians can learn to hear/understand the Spirit's leading, faster.

The devil throws a special kind of fear upon us when we plan to evangelize. If you go to a public area where there are lots of people, and ask God 1) for special help in overcoming fear and witnessing and 2) a strong prompting for WHO to share with first/next . . .

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  168
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  394
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  12/28/1983

This is a really important topic and when the Spirit speaks to a Christian it is wonderful especially whennyou get the still small voice that says "I love you child, I will never let you go".

You are right in what you say, I think we need to be of some maturity in our walk to receive this. Do not be discouraged though as once you have started, He will not let you go, thus you have blessings to look forward to.

If you read this when you are a very new Christian then do not go and try to hard to get this straight away, it will come.

Also you need discernement (you will just know sometimes if it is the Spirit) as if you get a spirit that is unhelpful then it could lead you astray.

Ask yourself the question: how did what you hear or see make you feel and this is a good way to know if you should take heed of it or not.

"I love you and if I could I would snuggle up to you with a hot chocolate". 

Lol He would say that though.