Book of Genesis

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Do you think the Genesis account of creation is in chronological order? The part where God says "Let there be light" and later on it says he created the greater light and the lesser light.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I think it's speaking of different light...

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,531
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 6/8/2018 at 11:16 PM, Yowm said:

I find it interesting that those are the first recorded words of God speaking, showing that when He speaks He sheds light (understanding) into the darkness (ignorance, chaos).

Would that then also mean that God the Holy Spirit brooded over the ignorance and chaos? Reference Gen. 1:2

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,531
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 6/8/2018 at 9:05 PM, SmoothRiverFlow said:

Do you think the Genesis account of creation is in chronological order? The part where God says "Let there be light" and later on it says he created the greater light and the lesser light.

I understand Genesis to not be a chronological account of the beginning, but I also accept that the seven days  of creation are a chronology. And yes I understand light to have been made before that which ruled over the light and the second lesser light. I take it to be a literal lighting. As to the length of each day of creation, I have no reason to think it was not a day calculated much in the manner of  a day today, but the Schroeder theory that each day was a type of eon each one shorter than the previous is most interesting too.

I have no trouble with the idea that God can create light and then afterward create the suns and the moons of this universe (and others) including the sun of our solar system and the moon  of this planet earth.

Edited by Neighbor

Guest shiloh357
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:05 PM, SmoothRiverFlow said:

The Hebrew of Genesis 1 proves it is sequential order, with one event following another.   So yes, it is in chronological order.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.19

Rev 21:23  The city doesn't need any sun or moon to give it light, because the glory of God gave it light, and the lamb was its lamp. 

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,184
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  1

Genesis 1:2 (NASB)
The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.

Question; 

It says “the earth was formless and void and darkness was over the surface of the deep”

Did God create it that way or did something happen to it? 

Much love in Christ, Not me

43 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Seems to me God is speaking of the earth yet in it's unformed existence...like a potter before the lump of clay.

Possible. 

Than God would have made something, “formless and void.”  

Could that not than be considered God having made something “not good”? 

Edited by Not me

3 hours ago, Yowm said:

(I changed your words in red to reflect what I think you are saying)

I would agree, if my changes reflect your thought, except I am not sure how God could make something formless and void unless it is something like a piece of clay before He shapes it.

Sorry but they do not  reflect my thoughts. My original words do. 

If I understand your thoughts correctly, your saying God first made the material to make the earth out of, than on the second step, created the earth. Curious, possible? 

I wonder if there is another way those words. “formless and void” came to have meaning? 

Seeing how we are told that the earth you and I inhabit will be burned up. Yet God will make a new earth. Than the word “earth” would not mean the materiality of this present earth. But the “place” that Gods creatures live. So I have thought is it possible that the word “earth” in verse one is a different “earth” than was created in the six days of creation. Seeing how it’s all going to be destroyed  again,  yet the “earth” or that “place” where Gods creatures live, that He calls the “earth” will be created anew. So it comes down to what is Gods meaning of the word “earth” in Genesis? Is it the same meaning  that He uses the word “earth” in Revelations, the place where His creation/people live. If it is, it would open up some interesting thoughts. 

(just my thoughts and questions) 

Edited by Not me

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  67
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Creation of the Earth described by Moses in the beginning of Genesis in chapter 1 can be chronological and also is not chronological, just like many other places of the Bible, and according to each individual understanding.

Personally I believe that account of Moses of creation of the Earth and universe (cosmos) is chronological, because how you possible argue about count of every and each day of creation when they are written and numbered as Day 1, and then Day2, and all the way to the 7th Day?

Is any of these Days are missing? Or they are not in their usual order according to their number?

But on the other hand, such order of creation of the Earth indeed looks like being made, or recorded by Moses in not chronological order.

I always though that GOD created universe (cosmos) first, and then the Earth. But by closely examining the order of creations I had some doubts about my first impression and understanding about the order of things created.

First three paragraphs of Genesis describing only the first three days of creation of the Earth and heavens. Such words “heavens” and “expanse” most likely mean different atmospheric levels of the Earth, not the cosmos (verses 1-13).

And only on the fourth day GOD created SUN, MOON, and STARS! (verses 14-19).

As we all very well know that the Sun, the Moon, and the Start are not the part of the Earth’s atmosphere, and they have to be placed in their own environment, the space of cosmos.

So, according to this chronology the Earth was created first, and then entire universe of cosmos with its suns (stars), moons, and planets.

This means that the age of the universe (cosmos) is almost the same as the age of the Earth! And the Earth actually three days older than the universe itself!

For those who would say that this is still not chronological order and would ignore the fact of perfect chronological order of the numbers of recorded days, for such skeptics I can present another interesting facts for their own benefit.

Notice that the SUN for Earth GOD created only on the fourth day, but the light itself and the darkness were created on the first day of GOD’S work, before the Earth.

In this case without SUN-light, the Earth, which wasn’t even formed yet on that first day, could not possibly have the morning and evening and be numbered as Day 1, because every day starts from morning and ends in evening. And so the same can be said about the second and the third days as well, until the fourth day when the SUN was created.

Taking to account such a gap of unknown period of time of these first three days in which there was no SUN-light, and no morning and evening as Moses described  them, and subsequently no days can be count as we know it, the theory that the creation of the Earth was not in its chronological order may take place, and we may assume that perhaps in that gap of unknown to us period of uncertain time the cosmos was created with the SUN and the Moon, and only then the familiar to us count of days may be started as from the day 1, and so on.

But this is of course would look as quite convoluted theory, but for those who badly want to prove that the order of creation is not chronological, would be the only option.