• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

On 6/9/2018 at 7:38 AM, Adstar said:

No one can strive to have any of the gifts of the Holy Spirit...

They are GIFTS ....  They are given when they are given freely to whom the Holy Spirit desires to give them..

When I accepted Christ I attened an Assembly of God church (I was there for 18 years). They were all over the tongues and prophesy thing. I never did receive that particular gift. I was told by many that my gift was prophesy and teaching, which are kinda the same thing. Kinda. It's too hard to learn another language though I dabble in Koine Greek and Hebrew.

Edited by Still Alive

2 minutes ago, Cletus said:

I think it depends on the attitude of the heart concerning the gifts.  The Book tells us to desire the gifts, so it cant be wrong or a bad thing... where it gets twisted is in our approach or our desire(our inward parts, as King David calls it).  do we seek to be super spiritual, to be someone special... or do we yearn to be used of God to edify His body... which is the whole point in the gifts existence.  to edify the body. 

take for example what was said earlier in this thread... if we pray in tongues we seek to serve self... but how can this be if we dont even know what we say.  the truth here is when we pray in tongues we pray for things we do not even know to ask for... things our minds cant even grasp.  How can The Holy Spirit speaking thru us be bad?... after all He Is Holy.  will He ever speak something vile?  something impure?  You see, its our desperately wicked hearts desire that perverts Gods good intended use of the gifts.  We must align our heart with Gods purpose, and lay to rest the flesh and its desires. 

I was praying in tongues when i read this threads title and i thank God for those who resurrected it so this could be said. 

I do not say all this to say you are wrong in what you say as it is true the Gift Giver is greater than the gift.  but the gifts are not bad... its what we do with them

I agree. What is also interesting is that some say that since Tongues is the least of the gifts, then it should be more freely given. That sounds more like human reasoning than spiritual discernment.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Cletus said:

I am pretty free with it... lol.  i do not do it in public to be a spectacle tho.  If The Spirit gave me unction to speak it outloud in church I would.  i have started going to a church where the gifts are not denied AND order is kept.  one will speak the tongue and then another gives interpretation and then others will judge.  I too will pray and take it to scripture when/if.    I have yet to see this but have heard it sometimes happens... as The Spirit leads.  I am so glad to have met these people.  before i had the choice of false doctrine with gifts but being done unorderly, or no gifts with sound doctrine and dont talk about the gifts if you want to stay.  finally God has lead me to where its being done as the bible prescribes.  its such a blessing when the whole of scripture is observed.  Thank God.  Thank God... Thank God!   

I became a Christian in 81. I started attending an AG church where there was a message in tongues followed by an interpretation fairly frequently. It was a church of about 900 members. 

The frustrating thing was that the messages were all innocuous. That is, they were all stuff that is already in the bible like "be strong, for I am with you..." and stuff like that. There was never anything one could verify, qualify or quantify. Then one day there was one. 

It was sometime in 1998 and part of the message was that in 2000 all the computers were gonna crash.

Except they didn't - and all that that implies. 

Keep in mind this was after years of "non-verifiable" messages and, finally one that was. And the one that was was baloney. BTW, I was a COBOL programmer at the time focused on code remediation to prevent the catastrophe that, in fact, did not happen. Yes, you're welcome. :D 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Cletus said:

I think it depends on the attitude of the heart concerning the gifts.  The Book tells us to desire the gifts, so it cant be wrong or a bad thing... where it gets twisted is in our approach or our desire(our inward parts, as King David calls it).  do we seek to be super spiritual, to be someone special... or do we yearn to be used of God to edify His body... which is the whole point in the gifts existence.  to edify the body. 

take for example what was said earlier in this thread... if we pray in tongues we seek to serve self... but how can this be if we dont even know what we say.  the truth here is when we pray in tongues we pray for things we do not even know to ask for... things our minds cant even grasp.  How can The Holy Spirit speaking thru us be bad?... after all He Is Holy.  will He ever speak something vile?  something impure?  You see, its our desperately wicked hearts desire that perverts Gods good intended use of the gifts.  We must align our heart with Gods purpose, and lay to rest the flesh and its desires. 

I was praying in tongues when i read this threads title and i thank God for those who resurrected it so this could be said. 

I do not say all this to say you are wrong in what you say as it is true the Gift Giver is greater than the gift.  but the gifts are not bad... its what we do with them

Very well said! There is nothing wrong with desiring the gifts. When we seek 1st the Kingdom of God then there is nothing our Father would not withhold from us. 

My Pastor did a series called "the Nines" (Edgewater Church TV on Youtube)

He starts in Genesis 24 and then links the 9 gifts of the Spirit to the 9 fruits of the Spirit.

Genesis 24:10 "Then the servant took ten of his master's camels and departed, taking all sorts of choice gifts from his master; and he arose and went to Mesopotamia to the city of Nahor. "

The servant (helper) is a figurative of the Holy Spirit. Hebrew אֱלִיעֶזֶר ('Eli'ezer) meaning "my God is help". He rode 1 camel while 9 camels are loaded down with "choice gifts"

The "well" is a figurative of the church & baptism. It is where we go to get refreshed, renewed, washed with the Word etc etc...

Genesis 24:14 ‘Drink, and I will water your camels’—let her be the one whom you have appointed for your servant Isaac. By this I shall know that you have shown steadfast love to my master.”

Genesis 24 22 When the camels had finished drinking, the man took a gold ring weighing a half shekel, and two bracelets for her arms weighing ten gold shekels, 23 and said, “Please tell me whose daughter you are. Is there room in your father's house for us to spend the night?”

Would the servant 'Eli'ezer (helper) have stayed at the house of Rebekah's father had the camels (gifts) not been welcome?

Edited by Bond5ervanT

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

13 hours ago, Cletus said:

i want you to know something.  I hurt my back little while ago.  not today.  but i have not been able to do much.  I been trying to pray and read and listen to sermons during my time of not being able bodied.  And God has really been showing me some stuff.  deeper pearls.  precept upon precept, line upon line, little by little.  in fact little by little has been the theme since i hurt my back.  if you were to go look in my past posts for months and months back,  you can see a good amount of scriptures the first episode of the video quotes.  and i have quoted them a bunch.  and this man is giving me a different perspective on these verses.  its a real blessing.  thank you for posting that. 

That is so good to hear! I am beyond blessed to sit under such a heavy anointing and depth of teaching. 

God bless!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

You can't pursue anything from the Spirit the Spirit provides. And I believe that when the "disciples spoke in many tongues" this was in reference to many languages in order to be able to spread the word more efficiently. I think thisother conceptof tongues originates from ignorant misinterpretation.

Just my two bits,  JJ

• This is Worthy 1

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  111
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  09/20/1966

On 5/29/2019 at 1:47 AM, BorderCowboy said:

You can't pursue anything from the Spirit the Spirit provides. And I believe that when the "disciples spoke in many tongues" this was in reference to many languages in order to be able to spread the word more efficiently. I think thisother conceptof tongues originates from ignorant misinterpretation.

Just my two bits,  JJ

that was only in ACTS.  in Corinthians Paul speaks of Tongues of Angels. Not tongues of Men.  Also he says it is incoherant to others without an interpreter.

Need to align all verses before making a conclusion . when a scripture in one place seems to be saying something contradictory it is always our interpretation not the scriptures that need changing.

• Oy Vey! 1

• 6 months later...

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

We should strive to be filled with the Holy Ghost, the evidence of which is speaking in other tongues. Without the Spirit of the Lord, we are none of His. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  125
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,082
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

Paul clearly tells us to seek the higher gifts, and not forbid unknown languages.

Acts 2 defines what tongues really is.

God answers prayer and expects and demands we test spiritual things.    Otherwise,  He would not have given tests in the Hebrew Scriptures on testing prophets, nor would there be warnings in the Greek Scriptures.    By their fruits you will know them.   

TV Evangelists or whatever you call them spends your gifts on high living, expensive cars, etc.,    A "faith" preacher had a crusade in my area, so I drove through the parking lot to see most people drove junkers,  whereas, the speaker drove a rolls royce sweptail.   

Those gifts would be better getting a better more reliable vehicle for themselves and for missions at Church.   

Other forms of research that has been done, is record services in realtime.    Gather people who speak many languages along with Linguistics, to listen to the recordings.    No one has yet to identify or even say there is in fact a language being spoken there.   The first and defining text on tongues, unknown languages to the speaker was in ACTS 2 where many languages were heard.   

The false religions back then spoke gibberish like we hear in the churches today.   I think in both cases, it was just the flesh doing baby talk because no speaker made sounds inconsistent with their native language. 

Isaiah 8:19And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?

Isaiah 10:14And my hand hath found as a nest the riches of the people: and as one gathereth eggs that are left, have I gathered all the earth; and there was none that moved the wing, or opened the mouth, or peeped.

Ecclesiastes 10:11Surely the serpent will bite without enchantment; and a babbler is no better.

Matthew 6:7 King James Version (KJV)
7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

One thing that does stand out on those recordings is repetitions of the same sounds. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  125
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,082
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

1 Corinthians 14:22-25 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
22 And from this we see that the use of different languages shows how God deals with those who don’t believe, not with those who believe. And prophecy shows how God works through those who believe, not through unbelievers. 23 Suppose the whole church meets together and you all speak in different languages. If some people come in who are without understanding or don’t believe, they will say you are crazy. 24 But suppose you are all prophesying and someone comes in who does not believe or who is without understanding. Their sin will be shown to them, and they will be judged by everything you say. 25 The secret things in their heart will be made known. So they will bow down and worship God. They will say, “Without a doubt, God is here with you.”