• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/15/1960

Please do not take this as my being argumentative for that is not my intention. Instead I only want to understand what is being said or rather written here so please keep that in mind.

Jeremiah 29:11 reads, "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." In the commentaries that I've read the "expected end" is understood to be a good thing. I would like to understand how can this apply or even be so when there are those Christians that have suffered or even died for their faith? Much less those who are not having a very good time of it in this world?

Thank you for your replies.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  907
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  07/07/1866

10 minutes ago, Berean said:

Please do not take this as my being argumentative for that is not my intention. Instead I only want to understand what is being said or rather written here so please keep that in mind.

Jeremiah 29:11 reads, "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." In the commentaries that I've read the "expected end" is understood to be a good thing. I would like to understand how can this apply or even be so when there are those Christians that have suffered or even died for their faith? Much less those who are not having a very good time of it in this world?

The expected end is an immortal resurrected new body.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

On 6/10/2018 at 10:16 PM, Berean said:

Look at it in context. It isn't (originally) addressed to Christians at all, but to Jews exiled in Babylon. God has "plans to give you hope and a future" (NIV) In other words, the Jewish nation isn't going to die out. And as we now know, it didn't.

Strictly speaking, I don't think we should interpret this as an individual promise to every believer. It was a promise to a group of people at a particular time and place. But we can deduce that, whatever happens to us personally, the Church will continue until the end of time - because God's purpose will not fail.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,058
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  5

On 6/10/2018 at 10:16 PM, Berean said:

‘For thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; 
Let not your prophets and your diviners, 
that be in the midst of you, deceive you, 
neither hearken to your dreams which ye cause to be dreamed.
For they prophesy falsely unto you in My name: 
I have not sent them, saith the LORD.
For thus saith the LORD, 
That after seventy years be accomplished at Babylon I will visit you, 
and perform my good word toward you, in causing you to return to this place.
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, 
thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, 
and I will hearken unto you.
And ye shall seek me, and find me, 
when ye shall search for me with all your heart.’

(Jer 29:8)-13  

Hello @Berean,

You are obviously satisfied with the responses you have had upon Jeremiah 29:11, for you have not responded further.  With respect to @enoch2010, his response reflects the desired end of the believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, but @Deborah_ has correctly pointed out the context, which determines the interpretation and possible application we may make of any portion of Scripture.  As she says, concerning the Church, God's purpose will not fail concerning it, and it will receive the end expected (as recorded in God's Word).

Praise God!

For His faithfulness.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  10/15/1960

34 minutes ago, Christine said:

Hello @Berean,

You are obviously satisfied with the responses you have had upon Jeremiah 29:11, for you have not responded further.  

That is not always the case though. Sometimes the thread or replies tend to veer off from the intent of the OP so much that I think that replying would be useless as I've discovered to my dismay at another forum. But it's not the case with this thread. I believe that they're called rabbit trails.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,029
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I agree with Debra.  It isn't written to Christians but to the Jews as  whole in Babylon.  I think it is a mistake to apply things of this nature to individuals, or even to the church of today.

Who wrote it?

When did they write it?

Who did they write it to?

What was the status of the person/s written to when it was written?

What time period is the material written pertaining to?

I personally don't see "Christians " anywhere in those questions unless you agree with replacement theology. God knows we don't need to go down that dark rabbit hole

Edited by other one

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  3

On 6/10/2018 at 4:16 PM, Berean said:

-

God lives in Eternity.   So, God often speaks from the point of view, of Eternity.

"A day with God, is as thousand years"...that kind of thing, so, He and Jesus and Paul, will speak about "the hope set before us", or "enduring to the end, right on thru the madness that is this crazy world and this crazy upside down life we live".....because we know that life as we know it, is kinda short, and getting shorter as you keep breathing.

Here is an paradox....... You are born to die...but Death is the Door to your Life in Eternity..

Our New Testament, tells us that we are not like "those who have no hope"....(The unsaved)........ and even our faith is "receiving the end of our HOPE"....

So, Hope, in God's lingo, in God's perspective,........ is REALITY, but He uses different (spiritually understood only) nomenclature when He talks to us about spiritual things, then when we use the same language in our secular world..

For example....>"He that is spiritual discerns all things"....."the word of God must be and is spiritually discerned".......   So what does that mean?.......>It means that a born again person, has a spiritual antenna, that is tuned into the frequency that GOD is Transmitting.......and an unsaved person, does not have this spiritual antenna......So, God is transmitting on one frequency alone, and only the Born Again can TUNE IN........And this is why the bible, the word of God, is not able to be comprehended as given to be understood, by anyone who is not born again.

In our world, "hope" means...." could be, might be", ....... i sure hope so........ , and this is the same idea, as a "wish".

Whereas with God, Faith, Hope, Love, Charity, Holiness .. these are not ideas, or ideals, they are factually existing things, , as God IS Holy, and His Name IS Holy...

Faith and Hope are not seen, but they ARE, in God's Kingdom, a real SUBSTANCE...A LITERAL THING......>Just as "God is LOVE".....and this "love", is not an idea or ideal......but in fact, God's Love, is WHAT HE IS MADE OUT OF, along with Grace, Truth, and Hope, Holiness and Power,  Light, and LIFE, and Jealousy....also.  ......many things

But with God, all these things are without evil or temptation., and they are absolutely REAL and LITERAL, regarding Him.

<B><

Edited by Behold

• 3 years later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

I consulted two other Bible and both say: "...you a future and a hope."-Jerimiah 29:11.  

I understand this to mean that if I/we-in part-conform and conduct our lives within God's standards, we will have the assuance of peace and happieness.