Staying Focused

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

How does one selflessly serve Christ while providing for a wife who is still very much desiring “worldly treasures”?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Be patient, lead by example, and limit but don't eliminate her spending on unnecessary things.  But I don't know what your idea of earthly treasures is or what hers are.  If you are thinking of aesthetic existence with the bare minimum for survival, there are some comforts that a woman appreciates.  

If you are meeting her emotional and spiritual needs she may not value those empty things as much.  My husband made me feel treasured and would do most anything for me and to protect me.  He gave me a good deal of responsibility and appreciated that my talents complemented his own, making me a helper.  He prayed aloud with me and for me each night.  This meant more to me than words can express.  He was my prayer partner.  

Eph 5:25  ESV Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her,

1Pe 3:7  Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.

Col 3:19 Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 6 months later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Be sure to properly evaluate what you define as "selflessly serving Christ..."

If he called you to live like Gandhi or something, to be fair, you should discuss this with your wife.

She may not want to live like she's married to Gandhi.

Sometimes in our zeal to serve Christ we imagine more is required of us than Christ actually does.

It doesn't make him love you any more. It doesn't make your standing with him any greater. It doesn't make him proud of you. 

He already knows the real you and the real everybody... 

I believe it is expected of married people to honor their commitment to their spouse which includes what the Gandhis would call worldly goods. 

Just saying. 

• Thumbs Up 1