Yowm

Pope as AntiChrist?

Practically without exception, every Reformer called the pope or better the papacy, the antichrist.

( http://www.the-bible-antichrist.com/what-did-reformers-believe.html )

I would almost concur but I can't figure out how 'an office' or a 'succession of popes' can fit this description...

And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever. ()

Perhaps it could be the last pope at that time, but even then wouldn't he be more likened to the False Prophet (the Beast's right hand man)?

The Pope will have nothing to do with the 70th week decreed for Daniel's people including the antichrist and false prophet

The ideas about Catholicism being involved in end time prophecy are all false

Catholicism is just a form of Christian ideology that is far from true Christianity  

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Yowm said:

Perhaps it could be the last pope at that time, but even then wouldn't he be more likened to the False Prophet (the Beast's right hand man)?

Hi Yowm,

God`s word attributes the False Prophet with two powers (2 horns) - Religious and Economic -

`And he exercises all the authority of the first beast in his presence, and causes the earth and all those who dwell in it to worship the first beast,....and he causes all both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark or the name (authority) on their right hand or on their foreheads, and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.`(Rev. 13: 12 & 16 & 17)

So we see a Pope does not have that authority - religious and economic.

Marilyn.

• Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, Yowm said:

Practically without exception, every Reformer called the pope or better the papacy, the antichrist.

( http://www.the-bible-antichrist.com/what-did-reformers-believe.html )

I would almost concur but I can't figure out how 'an office' or a 'succession of popes' can fit this description...

And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever. ()

While it can be well argued that the Popes have been anti-christs it does not make sense that one of the Popes will eventually be The Anti-Christ..

If anything a future pope will fulfill the role of the False prophet spoken of in the book of revelation.. 

Many Christians identify the catholic church as the harlot of Babylon spoken of in the book of revelation that rides the beast..  Therefore the Harlot is not the beast but for a time she is supported by the beast.. So the Harlot cannot be the beast at the same time and the beast is also a man and the empire he rules..

The following scripture in Revelation proves that the harlot cannot be the beast..

Revelation 17: KJV

12 "And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast. {13} These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast. {14} These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful. {15} And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues. {16} And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire. {17} For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled."

The ten horns are part of the beast and the 10 horns will destroy the harlot of Babylon and burn her with fire..

So the catholic church cannot be the Harlot and the Beast it may be one or the other.. But it cannot be both..

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

8 hours ago, Daniel 11:36 said:

The Pope will have nothing to do with the 70th week decreed for Daniel's people including the antichrist and false prophet

The ideas about Catholicism being involved in end time prophecy are all false

Catholicism is just a form of Christian ideology that is far from true Christianity  

Could you share some supportive Scriptures either one way or the other?

5 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi Yowm,

God`s word attributes the False Prophet with two powers (2 horns) - Religious and Economic -

`And he exercises all the authority of the first beast in his presence, and causes the earth and all those who dwell in it to worship the first beast,....and he causes all both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark or the name (authority) on their right hand or on their foreheads, and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.`(Rev. 13: 12 & 16 & 17)

So we see a Pope does not have that authority - religious and economic.

Marilyn.

I guess when the reformers wrote, the pope pretty much ruled the kings. Maybe we'll see a resurgence of that power?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Adstar said:

While it can be well argued that the Popes have been anti-christs it does not make sense that one of the Popes will eventually be The Anti-Christ..

If anything a future pope will fulfill the role of the False prophet spoken of in the book of revelation.. 

Many Christians identify the catholic church as the harlot of Babylon spoken of in the book of revelation that rides the beast..  Therefore the Harlot is not the beast but for a time she is supported by the beast.. So the Harlot cannot be the beast at the same time and the beast is also a man and the empire he rules..

The following scripture in Revelation proves that the harlot cannot be the beast..

Revelation 17: KJV

12 "And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast. {13} These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast. {14} These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful. {15} And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues. {16} And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire. {17} For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled."

The ten horns are part of the beast and the 10 horns will destroy the harlot of Babylon and burn her with fire..

So the catholic church cannot be the Harlot and the Beast it may be one or the other.. But it cannot be both..

Thanks for the clarification, so I'll go with ...POPE AS ANTICHRIST OR FALSE PROPHET?

2 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Thanks for the clarification, so I'll go with ...POPE AS ANTICHRIST OR FALSE PROPHET?

You know the pope might not be either.. If the harlot is the catholic church then you would be right to believe that when the beast burns the harlot with fire the Pope would also be killed in the same event...  It does not seem logical that a harlot church leading pope would serve the anti-christ as his false prophet after the beast has ordered the destruction of the catholic church...

It could be the case that the pope could serve the anti-christ as the false prophet before the beast turns of the Harlot catholic church and destroys it?

But it is a difficult thing to come to a solid conclusion about.. I am just adding a thought that came to me after i finished my last post..

But we will see how things turn out as the Revelations are revealed... Probably in the not to far future..

11 minutes ago, Adstar said:

You know the pope might not be either.. If the harlot is the catholic church then you would be right to believe that when the beast burns the harlot with fire the Pope would also be killed in the same event...  It does not seem logical that a harlot church leading pope would serve the anti-christ as his false prophet after the beast has ordered the destruction of the catholic church...

It could be the case that the pope could serve the anti-christ as the false prophet before the beast turns of the Harlot catholic church and destroys it?

But it is a difficult thing to come to a solid conclusion about.. I am just adding a thought that came to me after i finished my last post..

But we will see how things turn out as the Revelations are revealed... Probably in the not to far future..

That's why I posed it as a question. I'm not certain the Beast in 13 is the same as 17.

In any case, I find the unanimity of the Reformers interesting as well as today, we see some major Evangelicals go down the ecumenical road leading to Rome and taking many in their wake.

To ask whether the [a] pope will fill the role of antichrist is vague in nature.   Both the beast from the sea and the beast from the earth [aka, the false prophet]  will be considered antichrist figures,  being against Christ.   It is a misnomer to call just one of them "the antichrist".  But, the word "the" is added,  principally to denote the highest of the anti - authority figures.   But the FP will walk in that role as well as the beast. 

Could the pope be this antichrist figure?  Maybe,  maybe not.   Here is why.   At the end of things,  at the 2nd advent,  both the beast and the FP will be cast alive into the lake of fire.   This is an important point,  that is not grasped by very many.   The lake of fire is reserved as a place of ETERNAL torment,  and not a temporary one, such as death or hell.   Remember that they [D & H] will be cast into the lake of fire,  at the time of the GWTJ, as well as Satan.  This is indicative of Satan being released from "the bottomless pit" for a little season.   And then he is sent to the lake of fire.   But the beast & FP receive their eternal torment BEFORE the millennial reign.  The fires of eternal torment are only effective in being eternal IF the body is not consumed.  IN OTHER WORDS,  they are already in possession of an eternal body.   And they possessed that body prior to the 2nd advent.   That eternal body is evidenced in the fact that he ascends from the bottomless pit,  or perdition.   This is a temporary place of judgment,  unlike the lake of fire,  which is eternal.  

The book of Enoch names 3 places of holding for the wicked dead and 1 place (paradise) for the righteous dead.   The bible clearly identifies two of these 3 places as death and hell.   By supposition,  perdition is the third one.   So we can understand how the beast gets his immortal body,  but scriptures are silent on the false prophets eternal body.   Does he die at some point,  and thus meaning that he could  be the pope?  Or does he come on the scene already possessing his immortal body? In which case,  he would not be a person born into this world from natural parents.   Do you see why I now say maybe? But there is no question in my mind that he is cast into the lake of fire BECAUSE he has an immortal body. 

Blessings

The PuP