IGNORED

Setting one's mind on what is holy or...

GreyDestiny

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  131
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

This is a topic that seems to be a mixed bag.

Many people advise that a person should turn away from anything that has nothing to do with Christianity. No TV, no books beyong the Bible, only Christian music and even being selective when it comes to that, etc. But what of things that do not contain any complicit material? Say... Someone enjoys jazz music. Would the person need to toss aside jazz music, or is it a grey area?

On one hand, I do see the point of putting things aside. You are what you focus on, so having more Christian things in your life certainly makes sense. On the other hand, you still have stuff that isn't expressly anti-Christian. What do you guys think?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

As long as the activities won't corrupt us spiritually, I see no harm in doing other activities.   However, if that is against someone else's conscience, they should do what their conscience dictates to them.

The Lord is with us no matter what we do...even if we are enjoying some fun times, etc.   It doesn't need to be religious activities all of the time.  The Lord is with us in everything we do.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, GreyDestiny said:

Many people advise that a person should turn away from anything that has nothing to do with Christianity. No TV, no books beyong the Bible, only Christian music and even being selective when it comes to that, etc. But what of things that do not contain any complicit material? Say... Someone enjoys jazz music. Would the person need to toss aside jazz music, or is it a grey area?

On one hand, I do see the point of putting things aside. You are what you focus on, so having more Christian things in your life certainly makes sense. On the other hand, you still have stuff that isn't expressly anti-Christian. What do you guys think?

I think people should allow,, indeed request that The Holy Spirit to prick their consciences if they are involved in anything that is contrary to Gods will..

If the thing you are taking part in is enticing your into sin then it should be avoided.. Some people are weak and a lot of things can lead them into sin.. Some are stronger in their faith and only a few things lead them into sin.. Some people are adversely affected by one thing while another is affected by another..  Sometimes people make the mistake of thinking everyone is like them,, that is they think what affects them adversely must affect others.. So they start to preach to others to avoid the thing they themselves need to avoid  while ones they are preaching to suffer no bad effects in the same situation..

The start of Romans 14 deals with this issue in regard to foods and the observation of days but it can also apply to music and many other things..

Romans 14: KJV

1 "Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. {2} For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. {3} Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. {4} Who art thou that judgest another man’s servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. {5} One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. {6} He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. {7} For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. {8} For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord’s. {9} For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living. {10} But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. {11} For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. {12} So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God. {13} Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother’s way."

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

I'm sensitive to the music part, being a member of a praise band and having been a member of a travelling southern gospel band that played at a lot of small churches.

I'm not really a fan of most Christian music, but strongly appreciate some "Christian" music by secular artists. My personal favorite is "I believe", by Brooks and Dunn. And how about "Three Wooden Crosses"?

I've noticed that one problem with "Church" is that people let their guard down when in church. I've seen people get up to a podium and spout pure garbage, but people tend to accept it because they "heard it from the podium at church". This includes both music and teaching.

Meanwhile, some guy on YouTube can be discussing deep and trustworthy biblical teaching from the driver's seat of his car, or sitting at a picnic table or at his office desk at home.

Actualy, this is similar to the situation we had in Jesus' time.

Edited by Still Alive

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  510
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,178
  • Content Per Day:  1.46

11 hours ago, GreyDestiny said:

I see it as to what your personal relationship with Christ is telling you. If whatever your doing does not upset the peace of Christ in your heart, your fine. If a believer is walking in all the integrity of their heart torwards God. He(God) is very faithful to let the believer know when their doing something that is displeasing to Him. I have learned that the more we listen to His still small voice, the more we mature in Christ, and the stronger our relationship with Him is, the more we can hear His still small voice in our innermost being. 

Much love in Christ, Not me

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

ALL things are lawful to me, but not all things are expedient....as a free man in Christ, I listen to all types of music......Beatles, Stones,Clapton, Fleetwood Mac——- you name it. If a fellow Believer is within hearing distance and it offends him, I would most certainly turn it off.....otherwise, I don’t tell weak believers what to listen to or watch, and they ain’t gonna tell me

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  11,715
  • Content Per Day:  4.64
  • Days Won:  106

Your topic statement setting our mind reminded me of this verse!  : )

Philippians 4:8

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

On 6/14/2018 at 8:48 AM, Yowm said:

I see nothing wrong with popcorn over Scripture cookies.

Be careful Yowm. Popcorn is a hot topic, and if it gets too hot, will spill over to off topics. But you can take it with a grain of salt. (Buttered salt)

****************************************************************************************************

On 6/14/2018 at 4:10 AM, GreyDestiny said:

Many people advise that a person should turn away from anything that has nothing to do with Christianity.

Actually, what doesn't have to do with Christianity, in our every day walk. Or at least it should have to do with everything. Whether I'm typing a post on a forum, or typing an invoice, fixing a bicycle flat for a grand child, giving a drink to the Fed Ex man, driving, building cabinets,  listening to my wife's concerns, picking old tunes on Pandora, watching TV,  or fishing with some buddies. The action may not be in church, or a 'Christian' activity, but there really should not be any difference in how I should act. At work, I'm constantly acknowledging God, for His help, or confessing another missed mark. Though I don't come close, I do try to practice the presence of God in anything I do. So to me, everything has to do with with Christianity (walking worthy of our calling) No, I'm not there yet, or even close,  I'm still flesh and blood. (For a while)

Guest shiloh357
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:10 AM, GreyDestiny said:

Setting your mind on things above isn't about shunning non-sinful activities on earth.   I know people who live that way, who only listen to Christian music, read no secular books, do not watch anything on TV, and so on.

Setting your mind on things above simply means that in everything we do, we have Christ as our focus and that our overarching agenda is the furtherance of the Kingdom of God.   There should be nothing in playing sports, or listening to jazz, or enjoying good movies or a good novel that would take away from living for His glory.

We need to make sure that our activities are pure and free from anything that would stain our witness, but that doesn't mean we become hermits or that we don't interact with the secular world.  So much condemnation is heaped on people because of harmless activities and innocent associations and all it does is steal your joy. 

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,780
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I think it wise that in proper place we should be drawn by the things in this place to The Unique Creative Person of our God... not to fix ourselves upon the things as though they are to be kept but more an assurance of a s/Spiritual nature of what will be kept for eternity... another words fix upon the uniqueness of and not the things itself. All things are permissible to enjoy richly in this mind set... for we are taking joy in God Himself awaiting the new place of forever keeping!

1 John 2:15-17
15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
KJV

• This is Worthy 1