• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, Seeing many threads appear in General, and prayers requested over time, regarding  personal situations - plights -careers- marriage- relationships, I think I might indulge in an experiences thread. For comparison and perhaps some encouragement for myself and hopefully for and by others as others may join in also.

I'll start with a conclusion, and then justify it along the way in discussion and conversation with any others that might want to join in.

From my own perspective; there is always conflict! For there is always insecurity. Yet, there is at the very same time absolute security, for there is always the certain knowledge of my own destination. Each day brings its own trouble! I do not need to look into the future to find something to feel insecure about. Each day also brings  it's "manna " and so I am secure in my need of this day.

My own desires: well there in is the rub perhaps. All that I desire may not be all that is best suited for my own service to my Lord and personal savior Jesus.

I am truly not free, I am a bond-servant, willing  but a servant, not to my will,  but instead to my savior's demands of me.

As an old geezer now, I can look back and see what I never knew as I entered into no less than six diverse careers. Each work career leading me to  some hard trials and into  learning  more and more about what real security is. it is not the careers at all- It is God made man to reconcile my sin with God the Father's demand and acceptance of only that which is perfect.

Also as an old geezer now, I still cannot look forward to see where God will lead me next. Maybe I'll finally see it somewhat ahead of time for the very first time in my life, having always learned after the fact so far in my own life in this corruptible body.

I'm hoping others might sense a tone to this thread as it goes, and add their own beginning of personal  info-factoids; that which will lead to conversation about encouragement to others, that each of us are not alone in our own hardships and privileges. Whether work, marriage, singleness, illness, grand good health, whatever, there is reason to anticipate the good that comes of it in the tomorrows for those that believe on Jesus as Lord God and savior; and to count it all as joy regardles of the anxiety or pain of any one moment.

Edited by Neighbor
modified a sentence

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Well Neighbor, I'll try to stick on topic, the 'tone', I think.  After quitting school, and a stint in the military, I became a carpenter. Though I tried several other professions very briefly, I'm still building cabinets, a half century later.I think that  I am picking up on what you may have learned over your various careers, and how to utilize the experience learned, as we get closer to our permanent home.
In my trade I have been in homes that were hovels, and the homes of the affluent. People to me are pretty much the same. They ALL have their problems. And big or small homes. The longer the driveway to the front door, the longer the hours to pay for it. I learned that smaller is cozy, snug, simple. Big is impressive (mostly to the owners) and requires more time lost to pay for it. Here in south central Texas, we have the term 'La Familia'. The family. Our favorite restaurant, Mexican food,  is called 'Family Restaurant'. This might be an indication of how I have patterned my direction over the years.
Most of our decisions as a young Christian family were around the idea of trying to raise our children in this evolving crazy world, separate, getting away from 'heard' instinct. We joined a small Baptist church, concerned with missionary work. I brought home the beans, my wife worked at home raising our children. We homes schooled our kids. Lived in a 'temporary' small used house trailer (30 yrs temporary) It was a struggle with one income. But it was during those lean and mean years our family grew in God's greatest blessings. I believe it was during those times that we learned to really trust our Lord.  Our children learned there is no free meals, and how to do without, and still enjoy life. Today we have a dozen grand kids, no debt, home, land, shop paid for, all provided completely by God. Completely.
John 15 says; The vine tender (The Father) prunes the branches (us) that bear fruit, that it will bear more (much) fruit. His love for our family is why He removed unfruitful parts of the branches, that we would bear more fruit, less 'us'. The hard times were a blessing, most times not realized till later.
My self employment did not come with a standard retirement package. My 401K is my shop. I have always figured to work as long as able, which also helps keep my body in shape, physically and mentally. Just not as much work needed now as the kids are on their own (yeah, right! :) I believe God is pruning us all the time, and we can see it if we will just look.
I also try to learn from my mistakes. They say your doomed to repeat them if you don't. It is a great feeling when in fellowship with God on the mountain top of my walk. But it's in the valleys, the day to day drudgery, the little things, where our Christian character is formed.

• Thanks 1

Ah working with hands, working wood, grand hard stuff, but so rewarding to the heart.

Edited by Neighbor

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

43 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Ah working with hands, working wood, grand hard stuff, but so rewarding to the heart.

Good enough for our creator, good enough for me.

Amen.

To share from my own adventure in life:

I feel much like that kid that has had to ride all the way to grandma's house in the family station wagon facing backwards in the rearmost seat. There is this almost nauseas feeling from the motion, and the view is always of something out of the corner of the eye, going by, not to be seen again. What was ahead  is never seen, until it is fading into small dots along the horizon of the past.

Seems the other people on the road are all facing forward anticipating their destination as they view incoming ever enlarging landscape, all  in their fine bucket seats of their own car, and occasionally looking at me sitting backwards on display for their momentary entertainment.

I know where grandma's house is. I know I will get there, but I never know where I am on the pathway to that house of comfort. All I see is the backside of the traffic signs. My Lord is driving. I am most secure, but I never, it seems, know how I will get to where He will place me. I see it after the fact. It is grand to see how the latest adventure in my own sanctification went, how the missteps worked out anyway; but would it ever be great  fun to ride in the front passenger's seat!

Guess this ride beats riding on the open tailgate of the station wagon driven by that lady that would pick us ghetto kids up to go work her far; my legs dangling over the roadway facing backwards hoping I don't bounce out, on the way to the carrot farm to pick carrots and get paid by the bushel. It has been a long ride since those days as a city kid being picked up by some lady to go pick Bugs Bunny Brand carrots out in the country afternoons after school, and  on Saturdays.

There have been an awful lot of weird stuff done to raise revenue over my own lifetime. God has  provided the way needed to meet my need perfectly; perfect each time for my real need, not necessarily what I thought was my desire. I only learn of the perfection of it as I see what has gone on by as I do travel backwards to my own foreknown and predestined by God destiny.

It is fun, but I do get slightly queasy from some of the rides.