Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Retrobyter

What do YOU do to "praise the LORD?"

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Shalom, everyone.

I'm curious: What do YOU do to "praise the LORD?" I'm just looking for honest answers and details for now.

What do you say? What do you do? What actions do you perform? What "liturgy" do you use (if any)?

Also, by what indicators do you determine whether your "praising the LORD" was successful? How do you know your praise "got through?"

(I just want to add that there'll be no judgment from me on your answers.)

Edited by Retrobyter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I praise and sing to Him with words of worship and adoration.  Hymns may be involved or prayer.   No liturgy is involved--just heartfelt worship.  I don't worry about whether it "got through".  I am not trying to manipulate God or do anything that foolish.  He knows my thoughts.  By faith I know that all of my prayers are heard by Him, and without faith it is impossible to please Him.  

Some words of liturgy are beautiful vehicles of worship.  The Gloria:  Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace goodwill to men.  We praise Thee, we bless Thee, we Glorify Thee; we give thanks to Thee for Thy great glory---.  Some people only repeat these words or like robots sing a hymn.  Some of us bless God from the depths of our being.

Thanksgiving is just thanking Him for all He has done.  Worship is directed to Who He is and His attributes.  Both can be a part of praise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Willa said:

I praise and sing to Him with words of worship and adoration.  Hymns may be involved or prayer.   No liturgy is involved--just heartfelt worship.  I don't worry about whether it "got through".  I am not trying to manipulate God or do anything that foolish.  He knows my thoughts.  By faith I know that all of my prayers are heard by Him, and without faith it is impossible to please Him.  

Some words of liturgy are beautiful vehicles of worship.  The Gloria:  Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace goodwill to men.  We praise Thee, we bless Thee, we Glorify Thee; we give thanks to Thee for Thy great glory---.  Some people only repeat these words or like robots sing a hymn.  Some of us bless God from the depths of our being.

Thanksgiving is just thanking Him for all He has done.  Worship is directed to Who He is and His attributes.  Both can be a part of praise.

Shalom, Willa, and thank you for your answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a good question. I think too many folks have neglected the praising part of a Christian life and focus instead on works etc. 

Obviously I praise Him in worship service. That to me is the goal of worship service: praising the Lord as a congregation. Beyond that, I try and make it a point just to thank and praise Him in prayers hopefully daily but I admit sometimes I forget. I sing hymns/psalms outside of church. I have been attempting to write poetry lately that is just about praising the Lord. And finally, in my daily life, I find myself considering the world outside and His majesty/greatness/holiness/etc. That is also an act of praise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ayin jade said:

That is a good question. I think too many folks have neglected the praising part of a Christian life and focus instead on works etc. 

Obviously I praise Him in worship service. That to me is the goal of worship service: praising the Lord as a congregation. Beyond that, I try and make it a point just to thank and praise Him in prayers hopefully daily but I admit sometimes I forget. I sing hymns/psalms outside of church. I have been attempting to write poetry lately that is just about praising the Lord. And finally, in my daily life, I find myself considering the world outside and His majesty/greatness/holiness/etc. That is also an act of praise. 

Shalom, ayin jade.

Thank you for your answer. I particularly like the part about writing poetry. That's a good idea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/18/2018 at 4:16 AM, Retrobyter said:

Shalom, everyone.

I'm curious: What do YOU do to "praise the LORD?" I'm just looking for honest answers and details for now.

What do you say? What do you do? What actions do you perform? What "liturgy" do you use (if any)?

Also, by what indicators do you determine whether your "praising the LORD" was successful? How do you know your praise "got through?"

(I just want to add that there'll be no judgment from me on your answers.)

‘And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, 
to the which also ye are called in one body; 
and be ye thankful.
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly 
in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another 
in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, 
singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, 
do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, 
giving thanks to God and the Father by Him.’

(Col 3:15-17)  

Hello @Retrobyter,

I try to praise God in all things, and that means at any time of day.  Standing by the sink washing up or lying on my bed, in the car park of the supermarket, or in the garden among the things that He has made.  When times are rough, as well as in good times.  Sometimes the praise from my lips issues from my heart, sometimes it is the other way around: starting with the words of my mouth then reaching the heart.

Yesterday, I felt very low in my being, and couldn't praise Him, yet I know had I done so, my mood would have lifted, I just woke up that way, and continued throughout the day.  This is not usual for me, but it happened.

Offering praise is a sacrificial offering, a deliberate action, for offering praise glorifies God.  It is not always spontaneous, but it is wonderful when it is. :)

Just thoughts.
Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

‘Praise ye the LORD. 
Praise God in His sanctuary: 
praise Him in the firmament of His power.
Praise Him for His mighty acts: 
praise Him according to His excellent greatness.
Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet: 
praise Him with the psaltery and harp.
Praise Him with the timbrel and dance: 
praise Him with stringed instruments and organs.
Praise Him upon the loud cymbals: 
praise Him upon the high sounding cymbals.
Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. 
Praise ye the LORD.’

(Psa 150:1-6)  

 

Edited by Christine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2018 at 10:35 AM, Christine said:

‘And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, 
to the which also ye are called in one body; 
and be ye thankful.
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly 
in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another 
in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, 
singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, 
do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, 
giving thanks to God and the Father by Him.’

(Col 3:15-17)  

Hello @Retrobyter,

I try to praise God in all things, and that means at any time of day.  Standing by the sink washing up or lying on my bed, in the car park of the supermarket, or in the garden among the things that He has made.  When times are rough, as well as in good times.  Sometimes the praise from my lips issues from my heart, sometimes it is the other way around: starting with the words of my mouth then reaching the heart.

Yesterday, I felt very low in my being, and couldn't praise Him, yet I know had I done so, my mood would have lifted, I just woke up that way, and continued throughout the day.  This is not usual for me, but it happened.

Offering praise is a sacrificial offering, a deliberate action, for offering praise glorifies God.  It is not always spontaneous, but it is wonderful when it is. :)

Just thoughts.
Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

‘Praise ye the LORD. 
Praise God in His sanctuary: 
praise Him in the firmament of His power.
Praise Him for His mighty acts: 
praise Him according to His excellent greatness.
Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet: 
praise Him with the psaltery and harp.
Praise Him with the timbrel and dance: 
praise Him with stringed instruments and organs.
Praise Him upon the loud cymbals: 
praise Him upon the high sounding cymbals.
Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. 
Praise ye the LORD.’

(Psa 150:1-6)  

 

Shalom, Christine.

Thank you for your answer. I will also feel the same way, but I know there are others who specifically have "Praise and worship" services in their congregations. Again, no judgment calls. Thank you, again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2018 at 2:32 AM, ayin jade said:

Here is one I shared on this forum.

https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/220930-poem/

 

Shalom, ayin jade (green eyes)!

Thank you for that poem; it reads like another psalm! I believe that God has given you talent like that of King David.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By RockyMidnight
      PSALMS 22:22  “In the midst of the congregation I will sing your praise.”
    • By Heart2Soul
      So I actually participated with this topic on another forum and loved all the replies.....a good reminder to be thankful in all things.
    • By Abby-Joy
      Some 10 years ago, during a very difficult time of my life, the Lord led me to listen to a particular praise and worship CD 24/7.  I had it playing in my home and in my vehicle if I went someplace.  Many times, the Lord would draw me to spend time in His presence, just to fellowship and to pour myself out to Him (as He still does) and those are some very intense and powerful times.  
      One night, I had gone to sleep with the CD playing softly, as I had for weeks... and I was given a dream:
      I dreamed I was at a Christian retreat in the mountains and there was a handful of us gathered together.  Everyone had their mind on the Lord, and I could hear the most indescribably beautiful music... after a bit, one person stood and prayed and then when they were done, the next person, and then the next, and the next.... what was amazing is that each person's prayer sounded like a song... like individual stanzas to one beautiful Heavenly song!  And when each person had sung their prayer, then everyone joined in one accord and prayed powerfully on behalf of a person I knew.  The entire time, this Heavenly music was playing. 
      When I woke, I was still hearing that Heavenly music, and then it faded into the song that was playing on my CD player... a song by Paul Baloche, "No Eye Has Seen."  When I awoke, it was still the middle of the night, and I was praying in the Holy Spirit, intercession for this woman/friend.  After a bit, I fell back to sleep. 
      Later that day, I wrote an email to a mutual friend and told her about the dream and the song.  She then relayed it to the woman I dreamed about (who we prayed for in the dream).  What we discovered is that she had been going through some difficulty and had some things she was seeking answers for from God.  She had gone to that Christian retreat to spend time seeking God... and the night of my dream was her first night there.  
      __________________
      When I listen to music, and sing along, it is from my heart and spirit to Him.  (I can carry a tune, but my voice is nothing spectacular, imo.)  But what I'm wanting to emphasize is.... worship is a lifestyle, a state of the heart .... and even our prayers are worship ... everything we do (as unto the Lord) is worship.  When our heart has a revelation of His goodness and love, one can't help but burst with His praises!  I can see that it is your heart to worship Him... you've acknowledged some things that have hindered the outflow... I believe God sees and will honor your desire to worship and praise Him.  
      1 Corinthians 2:9
      “But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.”
      Psalm 95:1
      "O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation."
        Psalm Chapter 150 1 Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power. 2 Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness. 3 Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp. 4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. 5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals. 6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.
    • By Bryan T
      God be praised!  In loneliness and despair, feeling trapped in a sinful world, I know there is a remnant to be comforted by; I know there is a God that did not hold back His only Son.  Thank you Lord for you are faithful and true.
    • By Melissa7
      Hello Everyone!
      I am so happy to announce that this morning I prayed and accepted the Lord's free gift of salvation! Actually, it was more like re-dedication. Because I have known about/believed in God for as long as I can remember, but I wandered off and became lost 15 years ago. I don't feel any different now, but I am determined that this time, I'm definitely not going to rely on my feelings! I'm going to believe that I am saved by faith, not by how I feel.
      Joining the Worthy community had a part to play in this. So I would like to confess to the entire community, right now, that Jesus Christ is Lord!
       
      Philippians 10:9-10: "...if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved."
      Philippians 10:11: For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.”
      Philippians 10:13: For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
       
      If anyone cares to pray for me, you can view my prayer request at: Prayers for Strength Needed.
       
       
×