• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,536
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

Shalom, everyone.

I'm curious: What do YOU do to "praise the LORD?" I'm just looking for honest answers and details for now.

What do you say? What do you do? What actions do you perform? What "liturgy" do you use (if any)?

Also, by what indicators do you determine whether your "praising the LORD" was successful? How do you know your praise "got through?"

(I just want to add that there'll be no judgment from me on your answers.)

Edited by Retrobyter

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

I praise and sing to Him with words of worship and adoration.  Hymns may be involved or prayer.   No liturgy is involved--just heartfelt worship.  I don't worry about whether it "got through".  I am not trying to manipulate God or do anything that foolish.  He knows my thoughts.  By faith I know that all of my prayers are heard by Him, and without faith it is impossible to please Him.  

Some words of liturgy are beautiful vehicles of worship.  The Gloria:  Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace goodwill to men.  We praise Thee, we bless Thee, we Glorify Thee; we give thanks to Thee for Thy great glory---.  Some people only repeat these words or like robots sing a hymn.  Some of us bless God from the depths of our being.

Thanksgiving is just thanking Him for all He has done.  Worship is directed to Who He is and His attributes.  Both can be a part of praise.

15 hours ago, Willa said:

I praise and sing to Him with words of worship and adoration.  Hymns may be involved or prayer.   No liturgy is involved--just heartfelt worship.  I don't worry about whether it "got through".  I am not trying to manipulate God or do anything that foolish.  He knows my thoughts.  By faith I know that all of my prayers are heard by Him, and without faith it is impossible to please Him.  

Some words of liturgy are beautiful vehicles of worship.  The Gloria:  Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace goodwill to men.  We praise Thee, we bless Thee, we Glorify Thee; we give thanks to Thee for Thy great glory---.  Some people only repeat these words or like robots sing a hymn.  Some of us bless God from the depths of our being.

Thanksgiving is just thanking Him for all He has done.  Worship is directed to Who He is and His attributes.  Both can be a part of praise.

Shalom, Willa, and thank you for your answer.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

That is a good question. I think too many folks have neglected the praising part of a Christian life and focus instead on works etc. 

Obviously I praise Him in worship service. That to me is the goal of worship service: praising the Lord as a congregation. Beyond that, I try and make it a point just to thank and praise Him in prayers hopefully daily but I admit sometimes I forget. I sing hymns/psalms outside of church. I have been attempting to write poetry lately that is just about praising the Lord. And finally, in my daily life, I find myself considering the world outside and His majesty/greatness/holiness/etc. That is also an act of praise. 

2 hours ago, ayin jade said:

That is a good question. I think too many folks have neglected the praising part of a Christian life and focus instead on works etc. 

Obviously I praise Him in worship service. That to me is the goal of worship service: praising the Lord as a congregation. Beyond that, I try and make it a point just to thank and praise Him in prayers hopefully daily but I admit sometimes I forget. I sing hymns/psalms outside of church. I have been attempting to write poetry lately that is just about praising the Lord. And finally, in my daily life, I find myself considering the world outside and His majesty/greatness/holiness/etc. That is also an act of praise. 

Shalom, ayin jade.

Thank you for your answer. I particularly like the part about writing poetry. That's a good idea!

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

5 hours ago, Retrobyter said:

Shalom, ayin jade.

Thank you for your answer. I particularly like the part about writing poetry. That's a good idea!

Here is one I shared on this forum.

https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/220930-poem/

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,058
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  5

On 6/18/2018 at 4:16 AM, Retrobyter said:

Shalom, everyone.

I'm curious: What do YOU do to "praise the LORD?" I'm just looking for honest answers and details for now.

What do you say? What do you do? What actions do you perform? What "liturgy" do you use (if any)?

Also, by what indicators do you determine whether your "praising the LORD" was successful? How do you know your praise "got through?"

(I just want to add that there'll be no judgment from me on your answers.)

‘And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, 
to the which also ye are called in one body; 
and be ye thankful.
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly 
in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another 
in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, 
singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, 
do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, 
giving thanks to God and the Father by Him.’

(Col 3:15-17)  

Hello @Retrobyter,

I try to praise God in all things, and that means at any time of day.  Standing by the sink washing up or lying on my bed, in the car park of the supermarket, or in the garden among the things that He has made.  When times are rough, as well as in good times.  Sometimes the praise from my lips issues from my heart, sometimes it is the other way around: starting with the words of my mouth then reaching the heart.

Yesterday, I felt very low in my being, and couldn't praise Him, yet I know had I done so, my mood would have lifted, I just woke up that way, and continued throughout the day.  This is not usual for me, but it happened.

Offering praise is a sacrificial offering, a deliberate action, for offering praise glorifies God.  It is not always spontaneous, but it is wonderful when it is. :)

Just thoughts.
Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

‘Praise ye the LORD. 
Praise God in His sanctuary: 
praise Him in the firmament of His power.
Praise Him for His mighty acts: 
praise Him according to His excellent greatness.
Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet: 
praise Him with the psaltery and harp.
Praise Him with the timbrel and dance: 
praise Him with stringed instruments and organs.
Praise Him upon the loud cymbals: 
praise Him upon the high sounding cymbals.
Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. 
Praise ye the LORD.’

(Psa 150:1-6)  

Edited by Christine

On 6/19/2018 at 10:35 AM, Christine said:

‘And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, 
to the which also ye are called in one body; 
and be ye thankful.
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly 
in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another 
in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, 
singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, 
do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, 
giving thanks to God and the Father by Him.’

(Col 3:15-17)  

Hello @Retrobyter,

I try to praise God in all things, and that means at any time of day.  Standing by the sink washing up or lying on my bed, in the car park of the supermarket, or in the garden among the things that He has made.  When times are rough, as well as in good times.  Sometimes the praise from my lips issues from my heart, sometimes it is the other way around: starting with the words of my mouth then reaching the heart.

Yesterday, I felt very low in my being, and couldn't praise Him, yet I know had I done so, my mood would have lifted, I just woke up that way, and continued throughout the day.  This is not usual for me, but it happened.

Offering praise is a sacrificial offering, a deliberate action, for offering praise glorifies God.  It is not always spontaneous, but it is wonderful when it is. :)

Just thoughts.
Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

‘Praise ye the LORD. 
Praise God in His sanctuary: 
praise Him in the firmament of His power.
Praise Him for His mighty acts: 
praise Him according to His excellent greatness.
Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet: 
praise Him with the psaltery and harp.
Praise Him with the timbrel and dance: 
praise Him with stringed instruments and organs.
Praise Him upon the loud cymbals: 
praise Him upon the high sounding cymbals.
Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. 
Praise ye the LORD.’

(Psa 150:1-6)  

Shalom, Christine.

Thank you for your answer. I will also feel the same way, but I know there are others who specifically have "Praise and worship" services in their congregations. Again, no judgment calls. Thank you, again.

On 6/19/2018 at 2:32 AM, ayin jade said:

Here is one I shared on this forum.

https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/220930-poem/

Shalom, ayin jade (green eyes)!

Thank you for that poem; it reads like another psalm! I believe that God has given you talent like that of King David.