Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

The church I grew up in had a lot of masonic symbols in stained glass.  I remember the all seeing eye that was sort of creepy as well as other symbols of their tools.  One of the prettiest windows I remember was clear glass looking out on evergreens in a garden with ivy on the glass.  It was very relaxing.  

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

I knew a guy who did stained glass, but it never seemed like it was for churches. Stuff like flowers or animals - People would contact and comission him, I think.

I think stained glass can be pretty, but I think i'd be more into colorful designs than any imagery. Like a neat pattern rather than any scene.

To me, it just plays into my oddness - i've never been keen on historical depictions. Not only because history can be interpretted differently from historical source to historical source, but it just feels weird when depicting past people. Like imagine they make a movie, a biography of George Washington. Then say someone travels back in time and shows Washington the movie about him and he's like, "I don't look like that; where are my screwed up teeth? What's this nonsense about a cherry tree? Why is my wife played by Steve Martin?" I feel like details and what people might have looked like is best left in people's imaginations.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,872
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

this window is in the Catholic church/cathedral in Savannah....    My neighbors donated it to the building.  There are many others....   was many years ago.

20150416_155544_zpsvh9ykmde.JPG

20150416_153743_zpsogp7lgup.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 3

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  16

jimminy  ...if that ain't a $100,000 window in today's dollars I'd be surprised.  Quite a work though....

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

The workmanship, craftsmanship truly is amazing on that window.

I particularly like windows showing Jesus the Good Shepherd with the sheep.   Also, with the children is nice.   Some windows show the main points of Christ's life, all in one window....those are really nice.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

if the finance of such churches are dealt well I think it’s good to have God provide the means to portrait the greatness and glory of Him through art :) it may just be a loving dedication to the Lord than just a waste of money, like the ointment of Maria poured out on Jesus yet people criticise her actions. besides, how pretty they are! :D reminds me how we are "fearfully and wonderfully made" \o/ 

• Loved it! 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  398
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

Interestingly, the windows served another purpose. Since much of the populace was unable to read, the pictorial window was a means of familiarizing the people with Bible characters and events, as well as doctrines of the church. The windows came to be known as Biblia pauperum, or “Bible of the Poor.”  It is a lovely art form that took tremendous amounts of manual labor time to accomplish, but in the Middle Ages, the time of the artisan class was of low value and so was affordable. 

Additionally, the glass of the 12th century contained impurities, such as bits of metal, and was irregular in thickness and in surface texture. Combined with changes caused by time and weather, the refractive effects on the light through these imperfections have made windows of this period unrivaled in brilliance.  I know there has been a resurgence in this art form, but I concur with the others, nothing beats the original pieces from the 12th century Golden Age of stained glass!

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

A few years ago, my wife and I attended a parade and town festival. This church had it's doors open for folks to peek inside, I believe it was a Methodist Church. I walked around a bit and took a few photos.

Psalms 23 comes to mind!
1S_2_Glass.jpg.f7d6b4cc40da58718618d67ae79377f7.jpg

Largest area:
7S2_Glass.jpg.839c781a4535eba75cbb0a047c7ba481.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

On 7/29/2019 at 3:36 PM, maryjayne said:

Due to my job I do a lot of work in churches and cathedrals. Old stained glass is cherished and removed and kept if a church is to be demolished or sold to become a home. The glass we have now is not comparable to the old glass, and the windows are re-used in other places. Due ot modern silicates and manufacturing and regulations on safe dyes, the old colours cannot be replicated.

Years ago when I visited York, England, we were told that during the war, the stained glass windows of the Cathedral were removed for safe keeping.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I live close to Princeton, NJ, and I often go to the chapel on the university's campus.  The stained glass there is incredible!  It's a great spot to go for prayer, reflection, and meditation.  There is something special that happens when inspired architecture meets inspired art.  I would love to go there for a choir performance some day, as I would imagine the acoustics of the place are incredible.  If anybody is in central NJ (or even somewhat close), I'd recommend it greatly.

Edited by logos_rising
  • Thumbs Up 1