• 1 month later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

I love stained glass windows. I have a plethora of stain glass scenes depicting The Savior and beyond. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,273
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Stained glass would be a beautiful and interesting craft to learn...if one has the time and the space for keeping one's creations.

I wonder if there are many of these artisans left?   If churches ever need to replace some damaged windows....

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

8 hours ago, Debp said:

Stained glass would be a beautiful and interesting craft to learn...if one has the time and the space for keeping one's creations.

I wonder if there are many of these artisans left?   If churches ever need to replace some damaged windows....

I actually knew a person who could do stain glass art. She was bee talented and was making stain glass windows for believers. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 11 months later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  111
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/20/1966

shame the money spent by the large churches on art and stained glass. 

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I have attended stain glass making classes back 50 years ago....    it's rather tedious but not really hard once you get set up to do it...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

On 6/19/2018 at 1:53 AM, Debp said:

Does anyone else love the stained glass windows in old churches?   I always love these windows.   Besides the windows usually telling a Biblical story or picturing Christ in different ways, the light coming through these windows into the churches seems to add a special sense of God's presence to me.

Yes, they're beautiful. We have a number of churches that have them, but most are modern and not all that impressive. The best of the 'old world' style stained glass are from the Roman Catholic church. Spare no expense, as the saying goes. :rolleyes:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,524
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Spare no effort, do all that is done to the Glory of God.

Colors are of course interesting and in some sense significant. There are colors of the twelve tribes often used in  stained glass works. But Ishould not start to think of  the colors or the glass to be holy, they are simply a product that gives pleasure for the sight of them. and they may be good aids for remembering and defining of what is Holy.

There is also Pickle glass nuggets of color used in lighting fixtures. One of my very first  "duties"was the removal of some 20 pickle glass fixtures each some  five foot long from the tired old sanctuary of the church I had become employed under some 26 years ago. Oh the mixture of laments over the loss of the glass. I had to break each one apart and save the chunks of glass for those that wanted them to remember of them. One person wanted a few of the entire fixtures for their home.

There are artisans of stained glass work today, but not all that many that will part with the cash to pay the artisan his wage for his talent and skill. Seems so many wanting for very little will part with little, more often than not  often using the excuse or reason that it is waste. Then they drive off in their newish leased crossover vehicles to places of entertainment of their taste buds. Seems to me it is a matter of priority. Mine is different from many I suppose. 

I do like the local body of Christ to reflect the devotion to worship of God by His called people. I think our own local body, a storefront shopping strip center church also does a nice devotion to God in it's own manner of making the saints comfotable in their surrounds as they worship corporately.

I can see the street of gold even, in my mind's eye and the jewels and the light. Wondrous not barren in any sense that I can see. Instead awesome to behold. So a little stained glass and a lot of stained glass if it may be done, and done well by an artisan of great talent developed by many years effort and blessed as a gift by God, I will cherish viewing, when I see it, where I see it.

• Loved it! 3

• Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,524
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 6/19/2018 at 4:53 AM, Debp said:

Does anyone else love the stained glass windows in old churches?   I always love these windows.   Besides the windows usually telling a Biblical story or picturing Christ in different ways, the light coming through these windows into the churches seems to add a special sense of God's presence to me.

Debp.

I have actually spent the past two years searching out any old church  with stained glass that we might purchase as our residence. The stained glass being a key feature that spouse and I  seek. But to no avail.

We found but two possibilities that we might afford as personal housing and also use as a place to just gather and share one with another the word of God and commune. One at Clarksville Mo. Sold. It was already made perfect would have been a turnkey investment in residence. The other in S.C.  will be a project.

As of now we have secured a place that will accommodate our desire for stained glass if and when we are able to find and "rescue" some. It will be a project in  mountainous terrain funded of modest means out of necessity. But the value to me will be in the enjoyment by my soul, not so much for the glass as for what beams of colors do to my senses, making me more deeply appreciative of my creator.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,273
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

7 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

Yes, they're beautiful. We have a number of churches that have them, but most are modern and not all that impressive. The best of the 'old world' style stained glass are from the Roman Catholic church. Spare no expense, as the saying goes. :rolleyes:

Did appreciate everyone weighing in on this.

I know of two area churches with lovely, old stained glass windows....both Protestant.   Years ago when I was blessed to visit the U.K., I enjoyed the cathedrals and massive windows.   Our God has created so many beautiful things, especially in nature.   When we create, especially lovely things, it seems we are taking after our heavenly Father.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2
  • Praise God! 1