Question

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Doing great guys.  But i still have the thoughts of unbearable punishment.  I am saved.  So thats not the issue.  Someone help a fellow Christian out here?  Have you ever dealt with scrupulosity?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, Tyler22 said:

Doing great guys.  But i still have the thoughts of unbearable punishment.  I am saved.  So thats not the issue.  Someone help a fellow Christian out here?  Have you ever dealt with scrupulosity?

""""Scrupulosity is characterized by pathological guilt about moral or religious issues. It is personally distressing, objectively dysfunctional, and often accompanied by significant impairment in social functioning""""

That should be the state a person is in when the Holy Spirit is convicting them of their sins.. But a Christians who has believed Jesus and trusted in the Atonement of Jesus should trust that they are being forgiven all their sins by God, and thus they should only suffer from short periods of guilt before the acknowledge their sins to God and thank Him for the atonement He secured for them on the cross...  If we truly believe we are forgiven why then should we continue not to forgive ourselves and live in a permanent state of ""Scrupulosity"" 

If we believe we are forgiven by God it should be easy to quickly deal with our sins and then let the issue go and move on in life.. It should also be easy to forgive others who have likewise sinned against us.. How can we be unforgiving towards others when God has been forgiving towards us..

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

On 6/19/2018 at 10:34 AM, Tyler22 said:

Guilt is a nice little tool of the Lord's. If I wasn't saved and cheated on my wife or stole some money, it would be fun for me, because I'm a wretch. But being saved, my heart would be ripped in two!

Scrupulosity comes from a rough background. A little guilt/repentance is the only need in most cases. Jesus is kind--it's the devil who makes us think God will judge confession or God will judge us harsher than He will/would.

Be sure you've trusted in Christ! Then get a little counseling on the issues that hold you down.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

How are you doing with this difficult issue now?

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Better

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

This would appear to be an attack by Satan, aka “ the accuser”. If you are saved,he knows he has lost you and all he can do is try to make you miserable so you will not be able to exhibit the joy God wants you to have so that others will look on you with envy.You should be showing others that you have something that they don’t have and this could spur them on to find faith.You are no match for Satan, but “ greater is He that is in you, than he who is in the world.”Pray to God that he show you the truth of your standing— Satan is a liar. God has forgiven your sins and has cast them away “ as far as the East is from the West.” He “ remembers them no more”.Do the same thing with your sins that God does—- put them on the Cross—- and leave them there.A large portion of the Bible was written by murderers ( Moses, David and Paul). They are all forgiven because of their faith.....so are you. Put on the armor of God and tell Satan to go to Hell, along with his accusatory lies.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

On 6/19/2018 at 7:34 AM, Tyler22 said:

There are two approaches to scruplosity, one is that it simply is the way a person is wired, to have a strong conscious to aid them in walking the narrow way.

However, Scripture does offer solace to this condition of the conscious. There are two kinds of scruplosity, one is fear based and the other faith based:

, “There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear, because fear has punishment; and the one fearing has not been perfected in love. A better translation, Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced his perfect love.” (1 John 4:28). 

However, if it is not fear, it can be a piety from within, “Cling to your faith in Christ, and keep your conscience clear. For some people have deliberately violated their consciences; as a result, their faith has been shipwrecked,” (1 Timothy 1:19 NLT), “Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water,” (Hebrews 10:12), “The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith,” (1 Timothy 1:5), “As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand. One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind,” (Romans 14:1-23), “

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

As one wise man once said, "I am not ok, but that's ok." This is true because we are all broken, if we weren't we wouldn't need saving. We have to remember that without Christ's work and the Holy Spirit working in us we can do nothing right. You will mess up, God knows you are going to mess up, you know you are going to mess up but fortunately it is God's work that saves you not your own. All you can do is the best you can and cling to you faith.

• Thumbs Up 1