angels4u

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Some preachers believe that Jesus spiritually died on the cross, I agree with the article I posted,do you believe that Jesus died spiritually and why?

If Jesus was God, and Jesus died on the cross, does that mean God died?

Question: "Did God die? If Jesus was God, and Jesus died on the cross, does that mean God died?"

Answer: Did God die when Jesus died on the cross? The answer depends on how we understand the meaning of the word die. To die does not mean to go out of existence. Death is separation. Physical death is when the soul-spirit separates from the physical body. So, in that sense, yes, God died, because Jesus was God in human form, and Jesus’ soul-spirit separated from His body (John 19:30). However, if by “death” we mean “a cessation of existence,” then, no, God did not die. For God to “die” in that sense would mean that He ceased to exist, and neither the Father nor the Son nor the Holy Spirit will ever cease to exist. The Son, the second Person of the Trinity, left the body He temporarily inhabited on Earth, but His divine nature did not die, nor could it.

Jesus is truly God and truly man. His physical body did die; His heart stopped beating, and “he gave up his spirit” (Matthew 27:50). Just as our physical bodies will someday die, so did His. But as Jesus died physically, He remained alive spiritually. Jesus made good on His promise to the believing thief on the cross—He and the thief both went to paradise, not physically, but in spirit (Luke 23:43).

So, Jesus died physically on the cross, as was plain for all to see (John 19:34). But there is also the matter of spiritual death. When Jesus was hanging on the cross, He experienced death on our behalf. Even though He is God, He still had to suffer the agony of a temporary separation from the Father due to the sin He bore. After three hours of supernatural darkness, Jesus cried, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Mark 15:34). So, could it be said that Jesus also “died” spiritually? Again, it was only His human nature that was separated from God, not His divine nature. God did not “die.”

The question for all people to ask is “what will happen to my soul/spirit when it leaves my physical body?” This is the most crucial question in life. As we saw with Jesus, our spirits will leave our bodies and travel on to somewhere else. We will either follow Him to heaven to spend eternity with Him, or we will go to hell to spend eternity in “outer darkness” where there will be “weeping and gnashing of teeth” (Matthew 8:12). There is no other option. Jesus’ death on the cross paid the way for all who would ever believe in Him so that we can know for sure where our spirits will reside for eternity. His death provided us spiritual life, both here and in heaven. “And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you” (Romans 8:11).https://www.gotquestions.org/did-God-die.html

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

The question then has to be asked..

What is the definition of spiritual death?

Does anyone cease to exist?

Death to me is just a transition from one form of existence to another form of existence.. Once we are created we never cease to exist.. In one form or another..

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Adstar said:

The question then has to be asked..

What is the definition of spiritual death?

Does anyone cease to exist?

Death to me is just a transition from one form of existence to another form of existence.. Once we are created we never cease to exist.. In one form or another..

Hi Adstar, 

Since Jesus is God,

His body died but since Jesus is God ,God cannot die ...

LORD, are you not from everlasting? My God, my Holy One, you will never die. You, LORD, have appointed them to execute judgment; you, my Rock, have ordained them to punish.Hab.1:12

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

4 minutes ago, angels4u said:

Hi Adstar, 

Since Jesus is God,

His body died but since Jesus is God ,God cannot die ...

LORD, are you not from everlasting? My God, my Holy One, you will never die. You, LORD, have appointed them to execute judgment; you, my Rock, have ordained them to punish.Hab.1:12

Yes i agree that God cannot cease to exist.. And thus Jesus cannot cease to exist..

But also my spirit cannot cease to exist and your spirit cannot cease to exist..

All of us will exist forever.. Some with God in His perfect existence.. Some in the lake of fire.. But no one is going to cease to exist..

That's why i was asking what is the definition of spiritual death the person who you quoted is using to define what they are saying..

People can say one thing and it can have very different meanings to different people..

So sometimes we have to try and get a person to give their definition of a term to then tailor our response to them..

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Adstar said:

Yes i agree that God cannot cease to exist.. And thus Jesus cannot cease to exist..

But also my spirit cannot cease to exist and your spirit cannot cease to exist..

All of us will exist forever.. Some with God in His perfect existence.. Some in the lake of fire.. But no one is going to cease to exist..

That's why i was asking what is the definition of spiritual death the person who you quoted is using to define what they are saying..

People can say one thing and it can have very different meanings to different people..

So sometimes we have to try and get a person to give their definition of a term to then tailor our response to them..

Agree,the reason I posted this is because of a well respected preacher is teaching this,( I read it this morning on FB :(

Yes ,our spirit will never die ,we go to heaven or hell depending who we choose to follow,the choice is ours...

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest shiloh357

Jesus did not die spiritually on the cross.  Jesus was still God on the cross and was in complete sovereign control of everything that was happening.   

The reason I put this topic up was that I was surprised that Arnold Fruchtenbaught believes that Jesus did die :(

How can God die,think of it,really?

35479204_408160139663659_7962221200384458752_n.png

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  223
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

Yes I think Jesus suffered spiritual death .. The physical death was bad enough but I think the great anguish he suffered early in prayer as he settled the matter that day was knowing for the first and only time in his life he (our perfect Lamb of God) would experience ''hell'' being out of the presence of God the Father and on our account when he associated with us in spite of our sin .. 

Guest shiloh357

Jesus did not die spiritually, because for Jesus to die spiritually, Jesus would have become sinful.  Spiritual death is the result of sin.   Jesus' bore OUR sin.  He did not become sinful.   He bore the penalty for our sin, but our sin was imputed to Jesus, it was not imparted to Jesus.   Our sins were nailed to Jesus' cross and He satisfied God's justice and redeemed us from the curse of the law.  

26 minutes ago, Cletus said:

God told Adam... But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
Now we know Adam did not die physically that day.  Adam lived for quite a while after that.  Adam Died spiritually because sin entered and he was no longer connected to God, he was spiritually dead. 

To be separated from God is death, or to be dead And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

it would seem so.  He tasted death. 

Furthermore, Jesus is the appropriation for our sin.  He had to take the penalty so we could be free.  Jesus Christ paid our penalty in full, completely paid for us. 

Some may disagree with me on this but i think thats why Jesus still bears the scars. 

Hi Cletus,

God never meant for us to die physically but because of sin entering the world, Adam did die physically and got spiritually disconnected.

Eve had faith in the Lord and most likely is saved through faith , most likely  Adam took her example and is saved through faith also because Jesus was born out of the line of Adam.

Luke 3:38

38 the son of Enosh, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God.

Genesis 4:1

1 Now the man had relations with his wife Eve, and she conceived and gave birth to Cain, and she said, “I have gotten a manchild with the help of the Lord.”

Romans 5:12 

12 Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned—Romans 5:12

1 Corinthians 15:20–22 (

20 But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.