poyoboyo

Question to theists regarding their motivation

10 minutes ago, poyoboyo said:

We cannot verify God's supernatural intentions and intervention when all we have are some dudes who claim that it took place. 

It's tough to be a believer, when almost everything is faith based.

If i believe it is wrong to Murder then it takes no Faith for me to believe when the Bible says thou shalt not murder..

If i believe it is wrong to steal then i need absolutely no Faith in the Bible when it says Thou salt not Steal..

If i believe it is loving to willingly lay down ones life to save the lives of another i need not one drop of Faith to believe the Bible when it says there is no greater love then for a man to lay down his life to save another..

I could go on with 100 or 1000 statements like the above about things in my beliefs that are not based on Faith but on my strong agreement with the Messages of the Holy Bible..

Most of my beliefs based on the Holy Bible are not based on Faith at all..  Most of them are based on agreement..

For example::

How much faith do you need to believe the following statement ""Water is Wet""  ????   Zero i assume.. 

So likewise a huge amount of what is in the Bible for me is like that statement is to you...

The statement i hear from a lot of atheists that belief in God is based 100% on ""blind"" Faith is just not true..  I have never met anyone who is a believer who bases their beliefs of 100% Faith..  Yes Every Christian needs Faith in some things in regard to God because no human mind can comprehend God in His totality..  But not all things..

If you think about it poyosojo you're really dealing with the issue of faith.  What is faith?  Believing something that you don't fully understand.

For me, my faith is based on the fact that I can look around me, and see there is an intelligent designer.  If so, then there is an intelligent plan.  The intelligent plan must answer all of life's questions -- How did we get here?  What is my purpose?  Where am I going?  What happens when I die?

Your faith is based on what you can't prove as well.  You can't prove how we got here.  You can't prove that death is the end of all things.  Your faith in "nothing" is true faith -- for it supposes chance by chance to the trillioneth degree.

My faith is based in simple observation.  Yours is based on denial of imperical evidence all around you.

So who is the one that is truly exhibiting faith?  

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, George said:

If you think about it poyosojo you're really dealing with the issue of faith.  What is faith?  Believing something that you don't fully understand.

For me, my faith is based on the fact that I can look around me, and see there is an intelligent designer.  If so, then there is an intelligent plan.  The intelligent plan must answer all of life's questions -- How did we get here?  What is my purpose?  Where am I going?  What happens when I die?

Your faith is based on what you can't prove as well.  You can't prove how we got here.  You can't prove that death is the end of all things.  Your faith in "nothing" is true faith -- for it supposes chance by chance to the trillioneth degree.

My faith is based in simple observation.  Yours is based on denial of imperical evidence all around you.

So who is the one that is truly exhibiting faith?  

My faith is the same as yours. Because the book and scroll you mentioned could have been edited - they don't hold a lot of evidence.

Edited by poyoboyo

2 minutes ago, poyoboyo said:

My faith is the same as yours. Because the book and scroll you mentioned could have been edited.

The facts are the "scrolls" have been the EXACT same for at least 2000 years, based on the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls  ... wouldn't it make sense that a "intelligent designer" would preserve his "intelligent plan"?  So if it's NOT been changed for 2000 years ... it continues to support my "faith".  My faith is based on what I already see and know ... yours is based on ... hope that the Bible is wrong.  

What's the harm in praying something so simple, "God -- if you're out there -- prove yourself that you're alive to me?"   :)  Pray it sincerely and tell me what happens.   :)

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, poyoboyo said:

My faith is the same as yours. Because the book and scroll you mentioned could have been edited - they don't hold a lot of evidence.

It cannot be the same as ours for one simple reason: your faith is based on the "say-so" of individuals whom have admittedly had an a priori adherence to "materialistic causes", not established evidence in Scripture that is backed by archaeology and history. Richard Lewontin, who had served as the Alexander Agassiz Professor of Zoology and Professor of Biology at Harvard, observed the following:

Our willingness to accept scientific claims that are against common sense is the key to an understanding of the real struggle between science and the supernatural. We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism. It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counter-intuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door. The eminent Kant scholar Lewis Beck used to say that anyone who could believe in God could believe in anything. To appeal to an omnipotent deity is to allow that at any moment the regularities of nature may be ruptured, that miracles may happen.

(emphasis mine)

Source: http://www.nybooks.com/articles/1997/01/09/billions-and-billions-of-demons/

But really, I don't think the issue for you, poyoboyo, is truly "Science Vs. Scripture"; I think instead, Scripture and Christianity demand more of you than you are willing to give it. That would include things you like doing, beliefs you hold dear, and a mindset you prefer that you you would have to give up were you to consider the Bible true. And rather than do that, it's just easier for you to disregard Scripture and find "reasons" that you can throw at people whenever you feel threatened.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sojourner414 said:

It cannot be the same as ours for one simple reason: your faith is based on the "say-so" of individuals whom have admittedly had an a priori adherence to "materialistic causes", not established evidence in Scripture that is backed by archaeology and history. Richard Lewontin, who had served as the Alexander Agassiz Professor of Zoology and Professor of Biology at Harvard, observed the following:

(emphasis mine)

Source: http://www.nybooks.com/articles/1997/01/09/billions-and-billions-of-demons/

But really, I don't think the issue for you, poyoboyo, is truly "Science Vs. Scripture"; I think instead, Scripture and Christianity demand more of you than you are willing to give it. That would include things you like doing, beliefs you hold dear, and a mindset you prefer that you you would have to give up were you to consider the Bible true. And rather than do that, it's just easier for you to disregard Scripture and find "reasons" that you can throw at people whenever you feel threatened.

It's not a crime to live a peaceful life and die. If you think it is, then it's your problem. 

Edited by poyoboyo

7 minutes ago, poyoboyo said:

It's not a crime to reject offer of being eternal God's servant.

I'm not sure you realize this -- but God is offering to RULE and REIGN with Him.  I believe you have some misconceptions ...

Revelation 5:10  And You made us kings and priests to our God, and we will reign over the earth.

As I've stated before, I believe you don't know the plan of God ... and thus your belief system is a hope in nothing ... whereas my faith is manifested all around me.  Take a chance ... explore the plan of God ... or would your mind be closed to exploring the possibility?  You tell me.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, George said:

I'm not sure you realize this -- but God is offering to RULE and REIGN with Him.  I believe you have some misconceptions ...

Revelation 5:10  And You made us kings and priests to our God, and we will reign over the earth.

As I've stated before, I believe you don't know the plan of God ... and thus your belief system is a hope in nothing ... whereas my faith is manifested all around me.  Take a chance ... explore the plan of God ... or would your mind be closed to exploring the possibility?  You tell me.

I simply don't share your obsession with an afterlife. 

Edited by poyoboyo

13 minutes ago, poyoboyo said:

I don't remember when I signed for an endless life.

Not sure what you mean ... but it doesn't change the fact that you are believing in a 'hope that the Bible' is not true. 

It's strange, that you're hoping the last few prophecies that haven't come to pass -- don't!

My faith tells me that everything that the Bible has declared has happened many of those things happening in my lifetime ... so my hope is in past and current evidence ... that's my faith.

Can you imagine a world -- where we're at peace with the animals, all speak the same language, the end of wars, an era of peace and tranquility? 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, George said:

Not sure what you mean ... but it doesn't change the fact that you are believing in a 'hope that the Bible' is not true. 

It's strange, that you're hoping the last few prophecies that haven't come to pass -- don't!

My faith tells me that everything that the Bible has declared has happened many of those things happening in my lifetime ... so my hope is in past and current evidence ... that's my faith.

Can you imagine a world -- where we're at peace with the animals, all speak the same language, the end of wars, an era of peace and tranquility? 

Selling Divine vacation... I can't afford it :D

Edited by poyoboyo