Sign in to follow this  
Last Daze

Climbing the Mountain

The study of end time prophecy is different from other doctrines for a couple of reasons.  First, it is not a doctrine that is considered to be essential to the faith so there's no reason to become contentious when discussing it.  Second, it's a very difficult subject to understand.  It takes time and effort to unfold the imagery and symbolism used and then apply it correctly so that everything fits. There are usually several complete iterations of that process.  With that in mind, I'd like to allegorize the challenge of learning end time prophecy by comparing it to climbing a mountain.

There is a huge mountain that is so big that every conceivable type of terrain and climate can be found somewhere around its base. Everything from tundra to desert to forests to flowing rivers to marshes can be found there.  As the mountain ascends, the different terrain types gradually merge together to where eventually, at the top, there is only one.

Everyone who chooses to climb the mountain starts off in some kind of terrain.  They may or may not see what other people see who are climbing the mountain depending on where they start.  But as the climb continues and the terrains begin to merge, people will start to see what other people can see that couldn't be seen at lower elevations.  It might take a while if they start on opposite sides of the mountain but if they continue to climb, the similarities will eventually be seen since there is only one terrain at the peak.

As we climb the mountain of end time prophecy, we might not see what another person sees.  That's to be expected.  However, through the discussion process, we might see something that helps us make a course correction.  The key is to keep climbing.  The longer we are willing to climb, the better view we will have.  Too often, people reach a certain altitude and decide to set up camp. They will continue to see the same surroundings until something gives them the impetus to continue the climb.  Two people who are in different terrains and have quit climbing will never see things the same as long as they are content with the altitude where they are.  I would hope that everyone who participates in the discussions here would be a climber and help others in their climb.

At this point in the continuum it has become an essential doctrine, not that is was ever less than essential in my mind. It seems it was an integral part of the Apostle's teachings as well. I might be wrong but it sure looks like history is built on the person of Christ in all aspects; and the 2nd coming is one of the greatest.

With the steady march of time and extant prophetic fulfillment it behooves us to understand and revel in the joy of the return of the King.

I understand that 'knowing prophecy' is not equivalent to salvation. Peter said it best,  "11[Seeing] then [that] all these things shall be dissolved, what manner [of persons] ought ye to be in [all] holy conversation and godliness, 12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? 13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness. 14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless. 15 And account [that] the long suffering of our Lord [is] salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; 16 As also in all [his] epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as [they do] also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. 17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know [these things] before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own steadfastness. 18 But grow in grace, and [in] the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him [be] glory both now and for ever. Amen." --- 2 Peter 3.

The higher one climbs the mountain, the more one is able to see of the mountain. The vistas become greater; while, at the same time, the way becomes more and more limited.

Which is to say, the more biblical prophecies one learns, the narrower the possibilities become for all of them to fit into one single eschatology. Over and over again we see people on online prophecy forums who have "the answer," based upon only a relatively few prophetic passages. Most of such folks get really upset when you introduce a prophecy they have never heard of before that contradicts their brilliant thesis.

After 20 years of working online prophecy forums, I have become convinced that the only eschatological view that cannot be contravened by any biblical prophecy is the post-trib, pre-wrath, 6th Seal rapture. I've tried to destroy it by every test I and others can come up with, and it continually responds with sound explanations to overcome such tests. But ya'all keep trying, because each new test generally expands my understanding.

Sign in to follow this