IGNORED

why are dragons and Leviathan in the Bible?

turtletwo

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

Are these animals that are now extinct?  

I am also wondering about the relevance of them in the Bible. They are in several scriptures so God must have thought them significant enough for them to be in His preserved Word.

For example, this psalm has them together back to back. Psalm 74:13, 14 "Thou didst divide the sea by thy strength: thou brakest the heads of the dragons in the waters. Thou brakest the heads of leviathan in pieces, and gavest him to be meat to the people inhabiting the wilderness."

Is there any particular meaning to be taken away from them?

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, turtletwo said:

Are these animals that are now extinct?  

I am also wondering about the relevance of them in the Bible. They are in several scriptures so God must have thought them significant enough for them to be in His preserved Word.

For example, this psalm has them together back to back. Psalm 74:13, 14 "Thou didst divide the sea by thy strength: thou brakest the heads of the dragons in the waters. Thou brakest the heads of leviathan in pieces, and gavest him to be meat to the people inhabiting the wilderness."

Is there any particular meaning to be taken away from them?

Yes i believe they where animals that are probably extinct..  And the Psalm 74 scripture is i believe is revealing the power of God..

• Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

WOOOOOO! I KNEW DRAGONS WERE REAL! ?

• Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

3 hours ago, turtletwo said:

Psalm 74:13, 14 "Thou didst divide the sea by thy strength: thou brakest the heads of the dragons in the waters.

Not to start a KJV Vs NIV debate(on please don't let that happen again) But the NIV uses the word "monster" instead of "dragon". Could it have been that way back then, that any unknown sea creature would be consider a "monster"? Then perhaps at the time that the King James was written, the right translation of the word would have been "dragon". Because maybe "dragon" was consider the right word for any unknown creature? This is just a thought? Not saying it is fact. Only a thought.

A footnote I found says this: sea monster … Leviathan These were creatures from ancient stories. People believed that they kept the world from being a safe, orderly place. So this verse means that God controls every part of the world and everything in it.

It was you who split open the sea by your power;    you broke the heads of the monster in the waters. (from the NIV)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,709
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Simple answer...they are extinct animals...they are in my belief, as well as that of many Biblical theologians and scientists, dinosaurs. The reason they are not called dinosaurs is because at the time the passage was translated the word dinosaur had not yet been invented, and in modern translations calling them dinosaurs doesn't fit the narrative of so called modern science.